Natural heat stretchers: List your staple products

Miss AJ

Not sure if this has been done before, but if you blow out your hair frequently or even occasionally, please list the products that have helped you maintain good progress with your regimen. I'm looking for anything from actual blow dryers, smoothing/straightening shampoos sand conditioners, serums, WHATEVER you have incorporated that aids you in your healthy process.

westNDNbeauty

I stretch with heat 2-3 times a month. I make sure that my hair is well moisturized from my deep conditioner and I use a CHI ceramic blow dryer (amazon has a few inexpensive tools see here). Because I do this so often and I want to avoid any more damage/wear I use the concentrator attachment and not the comb attachment. I hold my hair taut and just float the heat up and down the hair shaft.

Can't advise on any specific blow dry products since I typically blow dry naked hair. But I follow immediately with a moisturizer to replenish the moisture loss by blow drying.

isawstars

westNDNbeauty why do you blowdry without products?

I stretch with heat 2-3 times a month. I make sure that my hair is well moisturized from my deep conditioner and I use a CHI ceramic blow dryer (amazon has a few inexpensive tools see here). Because I do this so often and I want to avoid any more damage/wear I use the concentrator attachment and not the comb attachment. I hold my hair taut and just float the heat up and down the hair shaft.

Can't advise on any specific blow dry products since I typically blow dry naked hair. But I follow immediately with a moisturizer to replenish the moisture loss by blow drying.

lwilliams1922

What do you moisturize with after you blow dry?

FoxxyLocs

Detangle - Silk dreams DH

Protein - add egg

Shampoo - homemade black soap mix

DC- Silk dreams Vanilla silk

Heat protectant - Sabino MB

Blow dryer - Solia w/Willie Morrow comb attachment

I normally flat iron after I blow dry. If I'm not flat ironing I'll do a wet set (flexi rods, bantu knots) and use the hooded dryer or air dry.

coolhandlulu

Struttin' and stuntin'
Look at my blog on here. My last post was about a new technique I stumbled upon that helps decrease with breakage.

cutenss

Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor, blow dried on hair that id 90-95% dry, from banding.

Miss AJ

I'm just starting out myself, but so far I'm definitely keeping these products in rotation:
silk elements color care leave-in (has silanetriol in it)
Aphogee 2 step

isawstars

yaya24

Have you noticed a difference between the expensive blow dryer and the cheaper one? Is it worth the investment?

I've decided to start blow drying and I need to purchase a new one. I'm debating if I should go all out. lol

pookaloo83

yaya24 said:
WARNING this is long. :look:

I use low-medium heat to blowdry anywhere from weekly to once every other week.

My steps:

1- Shampoo first- still using elasta QP creme conditioning.. or Nasaab black soap.. or both. Just depends on how my hair feels.
2- Use protein for 10-15 minutes in the shower (Joico Kpak resonstructor or Megatek) then rinse.
3- Apply DC for overnight conditioning (I mix 1 pack of ORS hairepair nourishing conditioner with 4 spoons of silicon mix pearl conditioner in a bowl. Mix. Then apply, detangle and distribute with a comb, then twist each section) I'm left with 8-12 twists.

After rinsing the next day..

1- Spray on Aphogee pro vitamin leave-in conditioner -- let that sit for 20 minutes or so
2- Apply my leave in which is Diluted AO HSR (50:50 mix with water)
3- Apply Wild growth hair oil lightly on each section this oil leaves my hair sooo darn soft. I noticed that the bottles at Sallys in comparison to the bottles at the BSS do not have that nasty rancid smell. :yep:

4- Blow dry in small sections. I use low-medium heat the 1st "pass" and then during the 2nd pass, I hit my ends with the cool setting.

I have 2 blowdryers.. an expensive $200+ Chi Rocket that I bought back in my relaxed days.. and this conair inifinity styler that I paid $30 for on Amazon..They now charge $80+ for it which is no bueno :perplexed .. but I'd pay the increase if I had to.

Hands down the styler wins with my natural hair.
I was watching this video on Youtube when I decided I just HAD to have it (please fast forward to 1:15-3:15 of the video.. everything else on that video is :ohwell: a fail. Sorry if you are a member here).

Thats about it.

I proceed to twist my hair in sections with Oyin dew (I mix this with palm oil & Apricot Kernel oil) and I'm good to go until my next session. My hair stays extremely moisturized. I usually just oil my scalp every few days and get some oil on my ends.

yaya24 how do you wear your hair on a daily when you do this?

Sent From My Pheauxne

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Any type of shampoo
Mane N Tail Conditioner
Fantasia ic Heat Protector Straightening Serum
Andis Ceramic Ionic Styler Hair Dryer (with comb attachment and high heat)

Hope that helps!

westNDNbeauty

@westNDNbeauty, does the murumuru moisture milk revert your hair after you blow dry and/or flat iron?

@yodie No. I don't add alot and then I immediately twist & bantu knot it and wait for it to dry (20 minutes) and then style. My hair is stretched, soft and moisturized. A few of my most recent styling videos shows the texture of my stretched hair.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
@isawstars-

As far as the health of of hair- neither have caused any damage. As for the ease of use, I say go with the styler. Its much easier to self tension blowdry w/ it vs the chi rocket IMO.

I'm not letting go of my chi blowdryer because it comes in handy for diffusing (I purchased a separate attaching diffusing piece), and to do a quick blowdry if I need to dry a wig or something but if I had to choose between the two I'd go with the styler.

@pookaloo83-

I usually wear the twists or twistout and style them pinned up, loose or into some kind of style, bun or updo.

Miss AJ

For those who use comb attachments, how are you minimizing mechanical damage? Are you controlling the number of combed passes? Are you passing slower to minimize how MUCH the attachment runs through your hair to stretch it out?