Natural Hair Revelation

Ediese

I just wanted to say that I am LOVING my natural hair. I had no idea that I would be able to have so much fun with it, and not be self conscious when I see other women with long, flowing, straight hair. It's kinda crazy because a few years ago I didn't think I would "look" good with natural hair. :ohwell: I know...I know...you're probably thinking that I'm silly for even thinking that, right? How can we not look good with my own natural hair texture. Well that was my frame of mind. lol

Anyway, enough about that. I wanted to mention something that I observed. When I was transitioning, I had terrible trouble with my hair breaking, knotting and tangling. Also, I stopped using my Denman even when everyone was swearing by it because it pulled out too much hair. Now that all my relaxed ends are gone, I don't have ANY problems with tangling, and barely any hair knotting. I think the straight ends were the culprit all along. I can simply cowash every morning with HE Hello Hydration, and detangle with my fingers without fear of broken strands. Whenever I detangle with my wide tooth comb, the comb glides through my hair. That's a first. Also, the denman probably has like 3 strands in there. I'm telling ya'll this natural thing is sure working for me!!:yep:

Anyone else have these revelations after they were natural? I know for a while I saw some horror stories some had when they became natural, and it kinda freaked me out a little.

I've been natural for about 8 years and I have just started to appreciate that I can be cute and sexy with natural hair. I love experimenting with various styles and I know that I can do loads of various styles as far as I adapt them to my hair texture. I know that I may never relax my hair again and the fun has only just begun.

OP thanks for sharing :) I love all your posts and pictures.

It's nice to read about people who've had good experiences after BC'ing.... December should come already so I can BC and share my Natural Revelations too!!!

I have been natural since Feb but I didnt transition long---3 or 4 months. My natural hair is rarely tangled(still too short I think); I can co-wash daily and not worry about how to "style" my hair and my hair is so healthy. It wasn't "bad" when I was relaxed but I don't have balls of lost hair anymore or have to fight with two textures anymore.

I don't know why I was so "scared" to cut it off before--if I had chopped last year I would probably be SL by now...oh well. And now that I am experimenting with my natural texture I have more flexibility with curly styles that do require as much time...I will be glad when I have more length though cuz shrinkage is no joke.

I had to realize that my hair won't be like so and so's. I needed to figure out what works for me and stick to it!

I will admit that my hair has been fairly easy, not much tangling or any knotting/splits but it's only been here for 5 months. I just roll with it and accept my hair as what it is. :grin:

Been natural since the 90's but never had healthy long (as long as it is now) hair because of heat damage. During that time I used to believe that I couldn't leave the house in cornrows. I definately think differently today (perhaps with some help from the fashion world making cornrows fashionable). My current revelation is that I have no desire to straighten my hair much, I love wearing twists and I actually tell people I love my hair. Some look at me like I have 2 heads but hey...to each his/her own.

Regarding the knots....Ediese, let me tell you...I can't wait to cut off all of my heat stretched ends! I did not BC when I transitioned to healthy hair care practices so I swear that the breakage and knots are b/c of those overly stretched ends that are too weak to hold their own.

Your natural hair texture reminds me of my own but I'm not sure if we're twins yet hmmmmmm....

Congrats!

Been natural since the 90's but never had healthy long (as long as it is now) hair because of heat damage. During that time I used to believe that I couldn't leave the house in cornrows. I definately think differently today (perhaps with some help from the fashion world making cornrows fashionable). My current revelation is that I have no desire to straighten my hair much, I love wearing twists and I actually tell people I love my hair. Some look at me like I have 2 heads but hey...to each his/her own.

Regarding the knots....Ediese, let me tell you...I can't wait to cut off all of my heat stretched ends! I did not BC when I transitioned to healthy hair care practices so I swear that the breakage and knots are b/c of those overly stretched ends that are too weak to hold their own.

Your natural hair texture reminds me of my own but I'm not sure if we're twins yet hmmmmmm....

Congrats!

Thank you! I felt the exact way about cornrows too. When my SO suggested it, I told him that I work in a corporate environment and it just wasn't cute. :nono: As a matter of fact, I won't even lie...I was so nervous getting out of my car when I decided to wear my 1st wash n' go/shingle. Talk about a nervous wreck! I also feel the same way about straightening. I think I'd probably do it twice a year because I'm so wary of more heat damage.

By the time I went to get my first 3" cut, the stylist mentioned that I didn't really have a lot of relaxed ends left in the back. When I thought about it some more, I figured it must have been all the broken straight strands that I saw when I was transitioning. I had no idea.

I just wanted to say that I am LOVING my natural hair. I had no idea that I would be able to have so much fun with it, and not be self conscious when I see other women with long, flowing, straight hair. It's kinda crazy because a few years ago I didn't think I would "look" good with natural hair. :ohwell: I know...I know...you're probably thinking that I'm silly for even thinking that, right? How can we not look good with my own natural hair texture. Well that was my frame of mind. lol

Anyway, enough about that. I wanted to mention something that I observed. When I was transitioning, I had terrible trouble with my hair breaking, knotting and tangling. Also, I stopped using my Denman even when everyone was swearing by it because it pulled out too much hair. Now that all my relaxed ends are gone, I don't have ANY problems with tangling, and barely any hair knotting. I think the straight ends were the culprit all along. I can simply cowash every morning with HE Hello Hydration, and detangle with my fingers without fear of broken strands. Whenever I detangle with my wide tooth comb, the comb glides through my hair. That's a first. Also, the denman probably has like 3 strands in there. I'm telling ya'll this natural thing is sure working for me!!:yep:

Anyone else have these revelations after they were natural? I know for a while I saw some horror stories some had when they became natural, and it kinda freaked me out a little.

I thought some of the same things during my transition, and had the same problems toward the end of my transition. I dreaded washing my hair because of having to detangle. Immediately I noticed the difference when I bc'd. The change was drastic enough for me to revisited some of the products I ruled out during my transition; with a much better result.

I've had my natural locks for about 18 months now. I didn't want to deal with the headache of straight ends and curlly roots so I cut the relaxer out in about 4 salon visits over about a four month period. In total, I cut off about 18 inches, Leaving me about 4 inches. I'm so pleased with my naturally beautiful locks!!! I too thought my hair would be tangled like it was when I was a child but it is the complete opposite. Not one strand of my hair comes out and of course, that thrills me! My hair is full of body and I can wear it curly or blow it out and flat iron it. I also roller set my hair which amazes people when they see how curly my natural hair is. Most don't realize how much you can do with your natural texture hair. I will admit it is a little more work but definitely worth it. It's grown to my shoulders now so it's doing wonderfully and most importantly, it's healthy. I'm new to this site just today so I am excited to post pics in the next few days. Ediese, yours looks great!

OP, i totally agree with your post. the decrease in shedding was one of the first things i noticed. even now, after i use my wide tooth comb i look at it expecting to see all this hair but many times there is NOTHING. i've been natural about 8-9 months and it's still unbelievable to me. i get so excited each time too, it's so silly. LOL.

also, as far as sexiness/acceptance goes. i noticed that A LOT of people, of all races, actually like and embrace natural hair. i had unbelievably positive comments from men and colleagues when I BC'd. in my drivers license i have relaxed hair...one time i showed it to the security guy at the club and he was like "you look so much better now...it's the hair". i was so happy (but dang does that mean i looked like a HAM before, lol). i also like that i stand out when i go out because so many girls have relaxed hair, it actually makes me feel sexier! i'm not gonna lie when i have bad hair days i do feel very unsexy at times but on most days i'm in love with my hair. it's a beautiful revelation.

Glad to hear you're loving the natural hair life. I am too. ;) I've gotten so comfortable being natural and seeing myself that way that I don't feel I look like me with straight hair almost.

Firt of U HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL!!!
I just decided to go natural. The thing that kept me from doing it was I just thought that my hair was too coarse or "nappy"!! I started looking at the threads and the women with 4b hair and realized it is all about how u take care of ur hair and that 4b is just as beautiful as a 2 or 3! I am going to do my BC in December (my naturaliversary) and I cant wait! I want to do it now but I gotta make the hubby more comfortable with the twa! LOL!

Back