NAPE trouble...

AMAKA127

Today I discovered some serious breakage on my nape area :sad:... for the last month or so i've been bunning my hair and I really didnt see any real issues with my nape literally until today.

i think the source of my breakage was from a corrective perm :wallbash:

if you can't tell how far up the damage is ... it literally lines up with the middle of my ear on the right side this is just very upsetting because I have been seeing so much progress and this set back is so ANNOYING!

please help with any advice my lhcf sisters :nono:

nape.jpg

Last edited:
I feel your pain girl. By the time I noticed my nape damage, it was bare like yours! Mine doesn't come up as high as yours, but I'm dealing with the same issue. I have really been giving my nape and edges extra TLC. I massage that area twice a day and keep it moisturized. I am no longer relaxing my nape area. After my last relaxer 9 weeks ago, I noticed a set back! I plan to let that area get strong before relaxing it...possibly the rest of the year. Elasta QP Mango butter keeps it really moist and soft. Oh yeah, and make sure that that area is protected at night...you don't want the elastic from a bonnet sitting on that area and rubbing it while you sleep. It creates friction which results in breakage. I pull my bonnet over the nape and secure it with a rubber band to keep it from riding up. HTH!

I had a taco meat nape when I first started my journey. The best piece of advice I can give is to stop relaxing the nape until you have enough new growth. At the very least, apply relaxer just a few minutes and do it very last, like on your way to the rinse bowl last. My nape is now SL with the rest of my hair with that advice. You will have to deal with it until it grows out, but it will. Check my fotki for nape progress. Within 6 months, I went from taco meat to chia pet. HTH

I had a taco meat nape when I first started my journey. The best piece of advice I can give is to stop relaxing the nape until you have enough new growth. At the very least, apply relaxer just a few minutes and do it very last, like on your way to the rinse bowl last. My nape is now SL with the rest of my hair with that advice. You will have to deal with it until it grows out, but it will. Check my fotki for nape progress. Within 6 months, I went from taco meat to chia pet. HTH

thank you! ... yea im def not going to relax my freaking edges nor nape anymore!!

I feel your pain girl. By the time I noticed my nape damage, it was bare like yours! Mine doesn't come up as high as yours, but I'm dealing with the same issue. I have really been giving my nape and edges extra TLC. I massage that area twice a day and keep it moisturized. I am no longer relaxing my nape area. After my last relaxer 9 weeks ago, I noticed a set back! I plan to let that area get strong before relaxing it...possibly the rest of the year. Elasta QP Mango butter keeps it really moist and soft. Oh yeah, and make sure that that area is protected at night...you don't want the elastic from a bonnet sitting on that area and rubbing it while you sleep. It creates friction which results in breakage. I pull my bonnet over the nape and secure it with a rubber band to keep it from riding up. HTH!

such great advice ... thank you!

I feel your pain as well! Actually, I think I have you beat. :sad: My bald nape is to the top of my ear. I had to wear a neck brace for several months and that began the problem. It began to grow back after I had a sew-in put in. After taking out the sew-in, I relaxed my hair. I didn't plan to relax my nape, but the relaxer got on that area. So, I just relaxed then. Well, soon after it began coming out in clumps. It went completely balded. Now, I'm trying to grow it back again.

I wash it every other day. I apply OCT and keep it moisturized with conditioner, S Curl, or shea butter. I massage it with a CO and Rosemary Oil blend.

Excellent tip!!! I noticed today I had a few hairs breaking off while I was massaging. I think by me sleeping on my back is causing friction to that area. As soon as it is long enough, I'm going to braid it up.

I was having the same problem with my nape until I decided to transition. I agree with the other ladies, stop relaxing that area. In the meantime, you may need some protein in your nape area. Try using Infusium 23 or 911 leave-in conditioner and a good moisturizer (I like curl moisturizers like Worlds of Curls) and seal with Castor oil every night. (Not too much because you don't want a greasy neck :nono:) Hope this helps.

Back