My nape

LifeafterLHCF

Ok Ladies I need some TLC..Im a natural no heat and I don't wear my hair out except for days I wash my hair.I have noticed that I have gotten my temples to grow back in slowly but my nape is a mess.When I wear my hair out it makes me embarassed.I use to wear my cornrows under my wig straight back.Then reading on this site someone said to braid the nape separately from ear to ear.I don't know what else to do.Im using castor oil directly on the nape and temple now twice a day.I wear wigs daily because I don't like my hair texture at all and it's not pretty like many 4a/4b ladies out there.

TIA

txnatural409

How long have you been applying the castor oil?

If that isn't working for you, try taking some growth supplements such as Biotin, MSM, Flaxseed Oil, etc. You can even try MTG or Megatek.

locabouthair

Do you apply a moisturizer to the nape? Oils dont moisturize. A water based moisturizer is best. You cna seal with the castor oil. My nape broke off to less than 1/2 an inch and grew 3 inches. All I did was make sure to moisturize it daily and I didnt perm it for a year. You're natural so I would say just keep it moisturized and try not to manipulate it too much. HTH

LifeafterLHCF

Ok thank you ladies for responding.I have only just started using the castor oil.I already take biotin and flaxseed oil as part of my normal vitamin regimine..Are there any products that anyone could recommend on my college budget for moisture..i wonder if my not touching it has worked against me.I wash maybe once a month and when i do I make sure to dc for at least a hour or 2.I also wonder if my wigs have anything to do with it.I use to wear half wigs and sleep in them..bad idea bc of those darn combs...I feel like my hair isn't growing at all..I dust my hair ever so often bc its always cornrowed

tuffCOOKiE

I have the same problem and SLOWLY but surely! it's coming back.

1. Start by taking begining pictures of the nape. it doesnt have to be serious - your cell phone (with flash is ok). since your natural, you may just not be noticing that your hair is growing.

2. Spritz it with a little distilled water THEN add the castor oil. Don't be too heavy handed because too much oil will build up and cause it to break (Dont be heavy handed). NOTE: I would try using some EO's (or Kemi Oyl) before I use castor oil though, it seems too heavy to use every day.

3. Try using some protein on that part only. Warning: I don't know how your hair is with protein but when you wash, take a little extra time.

4. Keep it up with the braiding from ear to ear! it works!

BonBon

Did you try the braiding ear to ear? I braid the broken off bit but not ear to ear and spray with braid spray, I also take biotin which is the first thing that made it grow back. Its weird because before the biotin nothing worked so Im not sure it was growing properly.

locabouthair

Ok thank you ladies for responding.I have only just started using the castor oil.I already take biotin and flaxseed oil as part of my normal vitamin regimine..Are there any products that anyone could recommend on my college budget for moisture..i wonder if my not touching it has worked against me.I wash maybe once a month and when i do I make sure to dc for at least a hour or 2.I also wonder if my wigs have anything to do with it.I use to wear half wigs and sleep in them..bad idea bc of those darn combs...I feel like my hair isn't growing at all..I dust my hair ever so often bc its always cornrowed

Girl take those combs out! They will cause breakage. I wear half wigs too and I always take the combs out. I just use bobby clips and my nape is growing.

Is there a reason you sleep with the wigs? I think that sleeping with them would make them become worn faster. As soon as I get in the house the wig is off. If I'm not going out I'm not putting it on :lol:

Scurl or wave nouveau moisturizing lotion is good.

LifeafterLHCF

Thank you ladies..so Im on the right track of doing things..i guess i need to buy some patience from the BSS...i wish I could buy some of the products that are listed on the moisturizing thread..im trying not to buy online bc its a chore..

LifeafterLHCF

Girl take those combs out! They will cause breakage. I wear half wigs too and I always take the combs out. I just use bobby clips and my nape is growing.

Is there a reason you sleep with the wigs? I think that sleeping with them would make them become worn faster. As soon as I get in the house the wig is off. If I'm not going out I'm not putting it on :lol:

Scurl or wave nouveau moisturizing lotion is good.

No I use to wear them because I was going through a really depressive stage of life and doing anything additional ie taking the wig off was a chore..Now I wear full wigs and that baby comes off as I put the key in the door..