My hair is going crazy

Spongebob

Hi ladies, please advice me

Nearly 4 years ago, 4 years this August to be exact, I shaved my head to bald. For ages my hair seemed to not pass shoulder blade length, no matter what I did I would not reach APL. As a result i lost all interest in my hair and there was no reg/routine. I would let it out at home and even sleep like that for weeks on end, until I feared developing involuntary dreadlocks and would detangle it with heaps of conditioner only to lose massive amounts of hair, not just shed, but breakage as a result of rough detangling. Now all of sudden my hair is bras trap length I never noticed when this happened because as I say I lost interest in my hair for while after it wouldn't reach APL. The issue I have now is uncontrollable tangles, I mean it takes me a whole day (taking breaks) to detangle my hair, and i even develope cramp in my arm and back from combing it. I lose a massive amount of hair, even with careful detangling. i realise that not combing your hair for a week will cause shed hair tangles, but my hair feels its chewing gum in it, the tangles literally cause me to get anxious, and let me not talk about my detangling sessions. My sister cut half of hair off, the front half, and now walks around like those biker ppl with a skinny ponytail in the back. I don't want for me to follow in her footsteps and reach for the scissors in a moment of madness. Please advice :)

How do you care for your hair when it goes to lengths you have never experienced before?

Thank you

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
OP do you ever dc your hair or apply moisture and seal it in? Can you try twists, braids (with your natural hair), any protective style so you don't have to comb thru it often but it is detangled and won't dread on you? Are you exclusively wearing your hair out? What about buns right after your wash/detangle session so it's not just left out all week?

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Guinan

Re-Branding
I 2nd DC & having an effective leave in. For me, when my moisture is off I get more tangles & matting. Have u tried ACV &/or AVJ? Can u post ur Reggie & the products that u use?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Detangle with EVCO drenched/lubed fingers in small sections. How are you styling your hair?

ETA: Congrats on making BSL!

SunRai Naturals

Keep your hair stretched as much as possible!! If you want to wear it out during the day that's fine but when you go to sleep it is important to braid, twist, or use hair ties or flexi barrettes down your hair shaft so that it doesn't shrink up on tangle onto itself. For people with tangly hair, keeping it stretched is key. Get a good detangler. I think Vo5 moisture milks conditioner is an ExCELLENt detangler! It makes things so much easier for me when detangling my hair.

ckisland

Keep your hair stretched as much as possible!! If you want to wear it out during the day that's fine but when you go to sleep it is important to braid, twist, or use hair ties or flexi barrettes down your hair shaft so that it doesn't shrink up on tangle onto itself. For people with tangly hair, keeping it stretched is key. Get a good detangler. I think Vo5 moisture milks conditioner is an ExCELLENt detangler! It makes things so much easier for me when detangling my hair.
ITA! If your hair tangles like that, keeping it in braids or twists is going to save your life :yep:. There's also the concept of "never loose and wet at the same time" were you detangle and/or wash 1 braid or twist at a time, twisting your hair immediately back up.

I get so tempted to real random and dangerously basic with what I do to my hair because I'm lazy, but it's really likely that I'll end up reaching my hair goals :ohwell:. I do way to much and am in it way too often.