My hair is falling out :(

cocokim

Hello. Im new to LHCF :)

I have a major problem. Im very down about my hair and I not sure where to turn so heres hoping you girls can help me out here.

I have relaxed afro hair and about 3 weeks ago, I relaxed my hair again but this time I used a normal strength hair relaxer by Dark & Lovely with shea butter (I usually use the childrens hair relaxer as I think its a lot gentler on my hair but there was non in stock).

I relax my hair as my hair is naturally thick and its very difficult to manage when its natural so I use relaxer.

3 weeks down and my hair is breaking at a rapid pace. If I comb it, run my fingers through it or even scratch my head, my hair is breaking. I washed my hair 2 weeks ago and so much hair came out I started crying I was so upset.

I just dont know what to do anymore. Ive tried Dark & Lovelys leave in conditioner, Africas Best Shea Butter plus moisture therapy and Emu oil. I am even contemplating cutting it all off and starting again.

Ive moved to Australia a few months ago, and I just dont know where to get all of my usual products locally. Back home, I was able to pop into my local BSS and get everything I needed. Right now, Im so lost and upset and Im not sure where to turn.

I feel like I have no identity, and ashamed that I dont know how to properly care for my afro hair. I cant even cornrow :(

Would you be able to point me in the right direction to fix this awful mess I have made? :(

I suspect that your hair was not neutralised properly after your relaxer. Many women do not neutralise their hair properly after a relaxer or touch up service and then blame the relaxer.

I would use some neutraliser shampoo and do a protein treatment. Sorry this happened to you. This used to happen to me many years ago but since I became a member of LCHF, I am diligent about the neutraliser process after my relaxer. My neutraliser and washing out process is as vigourous as the touch up process itself.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I suspect that your hair was not neutralised properly after your relaxer. Many women do not neutralise their hair properly after a relaxer or touch up service and then blame the relaxer.

I would use some neutraliser shampoo and do a protein treatment. Sorry this happened to you. This used to happen to me many years ago but since I became a member of LCHF, I am diligent about the neutraliser process after my relaxer. My neutraliser and washing out process is as vigourous as the touch up process itself.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Hi AlmondEyes, thanks for replying. I did not even think of this. I do have some neutralising shampoo left so I'll use that. I will look into the protein treatments as well. Is there any protein treatment that you prefer to use? Ive never used one before. :blush:

If you're going to use a protein treatment then don't forget to grab a moisturizing deep conditioner & leave it on your hair for 30 minutes MORE than the time you left the protein treatment on. A lot of girls use a protein treatment for the 1st time not being aware that its imperative to follow up w/ a moisture conditioner & they also fail to leave it on long enough. Good luck hun.

If you're going to use a protein treatment then don't forget to grab a moisturizing deep conditioner & leave it on your hair for 30 minutes MORE than the time you left the protein treatment on. A lot of girls use a protein treatment for the 1st time not being aware that its imperative to follow up w/ a moisture conditioner & they also fail to leave it on long enough. Good luck hun.

Thanks for the tip - your hair looks beautiful and so long!

Im going to take my time and spend a few days working my way through the forum I think. I'll order some deep conditioner and fractionated coconut oil and when that arrives Ill do my first protein treatment with a couple of eggs.

I washed my hair tonight and got rid of the build up, it really needed it. Then I used some conditioner that contains ceramides (which ive just learned about here :) then washed that off and then applied the last bit of my intensive conditioner but just left that in. I then sealed with a little emu oil. I've now wrapped my head in an old pair of tights for bed.

I hope the makes a difference - I never did any of this or did it very little, just coated my hair in oils and leave ins, I think I'm going to learn a lot here.... :)

Hi, sorry to hear about your problems - I know exactly what you're going through. I moved to Australia about 4 years ago and nudged by my hair breaking quite a bit I decided to go natural and never regretted it.

It's such a shame that you can't get the usual hair products here or have to pay all that shipping just to bring them in!!! Everytime I go home I try my best to stock up as much as possible!!!

You should definetely neutralise your hair with a neutraliser conditioner and/or shampoo.

Follow up with a protein treatment. But do not use too hard a protein nor too mild a treatment either. And then moisturising treatment following as suggested by pre_medicalrulz. As for what protein treatment to use check the search engine and pick what you think will work for you.

If you are afraid that you will not do a good job. Go to a hair salon and tell them that your hair was not neutralised properly and they will do a treatment to combat the breakage.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Hi, sorry to hear about your problems - I know exactly what you're going through. I moved to Australia about 4 years ago and nudged by my hair breaking quite a bit I decided to go natural and never regretted it.

It's such a shame that you can't get the usual hair products here or have to pay all that shipping just to bring them in!!! Everytime I go home I try my best to stock up as much as possible!!!

I know! I might get one of those US/UK postboxes to try and save on shipping ready for a big hair haul :)

That's great you're doing do well with your natural hair - did you find transitioning tough?

You should definetely neutralise your hair with a neutraliser conditioner and/or shampoo.

Follow up with a protein treatment. But do not use too hard a protein nor too mild a treatment either. And then moisturising treatment following as suggested by pre_medicalrulz. As for what protein treatment to use check the search engine and pick what you think will work for you.

If you are afraid that you will not do a good job. Go to a hair salon and tell them that your hair was not neutralised properly and they will do a treatment to combat the breakage.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks almond eyes I did neutralise with my leftover shampoo as you suggested.

Tonight, my hair seems to be in better condition, much less breakage and very soft and silky to the touch. I will update when I do
The protein just waiting on my orders for the intensive conditioners and oils I should get them in a few days time.

cocokim, I'm sorry this happened to you.

I was tagged to chime in this thread. I am salon relaxed, thus I'm unable to shed light on where things might have went wrong with your self-relaxing efforts. I think the ladies provided you with some great information. Members sunnieb Nix08 self-relax and may be to further assist.

There are several threads we (relaxed ladies) keep active. Please join us. There you can find tips and tricks to maintaining your relaxed hair.
Relaxed Hair Thread
Relaxed Hair Buddy

Post-relaxer when your hair returns to normal: Please be careful with the protein treatment to avoid protein overload. I am protein sensitive but use Ion Effective Care successfully.

neutralize, protein treatment, shampoo, use a moisturizing conditioner.

shampoo to remove protein residue. you may have access to nexxus emergency. check their website to find out if there is a location that carries it near you.

cocokim - WELCOME!

Love the advice already given in this thread!

Also, I've never been to Austrailia, but how's the water over there? Could you have hard water?

Check out this thread: Hard Water

Also, be sure you clarify your hair regularly to remove build up. I use Suave Daily Clarifying.

Check out my self-relaxing thread for all the steps I take: Sunnieb's Self Relaxing Album

Let your hair rest. Just read all of the advice you are given and take slow steps to regaining your hair health. Check in and let us know how you are doing! :)

Self Relaxer here...

The only time I started having mass breakage is when I got severely overprocessed by a stylist.... and my hair was popping off... I minimized the breakage by very low manipulation and starting to self relax.

I recommend that you neutralize properly, use a light protein treatment like Aphogee 2minute, and a moisturizing conditioner to follow....After you are done, moisturize and seal very well, put your hair in a bun, braid your ends and pin up, and tie a scarf over it... keep it like that until you need to moisturize again (maybe every other day or every third day to minimize manipulation).

Goodluck....

Also comb the threads here to find information on how to self relax including techniques, timing, relaxer strenght etc..
This is a video on how *I* do it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bequZZG24&list=UUX4Xtry9NRDViYz9nFLNeFA&index=1

Hi Nonie :) Where have you been mami?

cocokim - WELCOME!

Love the advice already given in this thread!

Also, I've never been to Austrailia, but how's the water over there? Could you have hard water?

Check out this thread: Hard Water

Also, be sure you clarify your hair regularly to remove build up. I use Suave Daily Clarifying.

Check out my self-relaxing thread for all the steps I take: Sunnieb's Self Relaxing Album

Let your hair rest. Just read all of the advice you are given and take slow steps to regaining your hair health. Check in and let us know how you are doing! :)

Hi Sunnieb

Again another thing I have not considered: Perth is a hard water area, and it does dry out my skin a lot so I can imagine what it must be doing to my hair! I will definitely be checking out these self relaxing threads I know I'm going to learn a hell of a lot of stuff!

Self Relaxer here...

The only time I started having mass breakage is when I got severely overprocessed by a stylist.... and my hair was popping off... I minimized the breakage by very low manipulation and starting to self relax.

I recommend that you neutralize properly, use a light protein treatment like Aphogee 2minute, and a moisturizing conditioner to follow....After you are done, moisturize and seal very well, put your hair in a bun, braid your ends and pin up, and tie a scarf over it... keep it like that until you need to moisturize again (maybe every other day or every third day to minimize manipulation).

Goodluck....

Also comb the threads here to find information on how to self relax including techniques, timing, relaxer strenght etc..
This is a video on how *I* do it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bequZZG24&list=UUX4Xtry9NRDViYz9nFLNeFA&index=1

Hi Nonie :) Where have you been mami?

I will give this a go, thank you

just wanting to agree with all the advice here, and if there is a way for you to get some Mizani Rose H20 Nighttime Treatment, please get some and follow the directions. It is very good at halting breakage. Be sure and get the nighttime one. They also have a regular one. That's not the one you need.

Back