My Hair HATES Hot Oil Treatments!

Eclipse

I've tried everything from evoo to tea tree oil, dry and wet hair, and pre and post shampoo. Regardless of how I do it, my hair always sheds. Not a generous amount but I miss every strand
. I guess that hot oil treatments are not for me...

Have you ever experienced this? Is there anyone who maintains healthy hair w/o hot oil treatments?

Norma15

no i have not expirence this but you can try using a dominican treatment called apretadora. its sort of like a deep conditioners buts you use it as pre treatment shampoo
thats what you can use in place of the hot oil treatment
hope this helps you out
Norma

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi Eclipse. I don't use hot oil treatments for shedding because I found it didn't help me out with that issue either. I find the hot oil treatments help with the pliability of my hair and shine. I've found that MSM (Methyl-sulfonyl-methane)helped me cease shedding. Of course, there are also other reasons for shedding like stress, physiological problems, etc. If you've been given a clean bill of health, you might give MSM a try for the shedding.

PrettyBrownEyes

Hi Eclipse,

My hair is healthy and I very rarely do Hot Oil Treatments. I've done a few since joining the board just for the heck of it but, I didn't really notice anything significant or a reason for me personally to use them on my hair. If your hair is healthy and you haven't been doing them I think you should be fine.

Britt

I personally dont realize any difference in the health of my hair from doing hot oil treatments. A good deep conditioner works better for me

Peachtree

Hi Eclipse

I began hot oil treatments close to a yr ago. Prior to that, I NEVER did any treatments, yet my hair was pretty healthy. Maybe my scalp produced enough natural oils ...

Islandgirl

true to what everyone said above. If you want to try a preshampoo treatment, there is one by aveda called aveda sap moss pretreatment that is supposed to be very moisturizing.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Eclipse,

Have you tried any commercially prepared hot oil treatments that are made exclusively for hair? Supergirl believes that these are far superior for hot oil treatments than regular oils.

Eclipse

Nekee- I've tried every method I could find listed on this board...none have been successful for me.

Supergirl- I've tried Hot 6, VO5, Queen Helen's Tea Tree, Evoo, Jojoba, and the list goes on.

Thanks to all of your help and my experiences with hot oil treatments, I've come to the conclusion that my hair just doesn't need it to thrive. I used to do one every week. It's been about 2 weeks now and my hair is healthy w/o it.

GinuwinesBoo

i would only do a hot oil treatment if my hair was very dry because i dont think they benefit my hair at all it just leaves my hair heavy and oily feeling.

debyjay

Girl you are not alone. My hair hates oils too. I have lots of different ones that I am leaving alone. Now I do use a mixture of castor and coconut oil to soften the new growth and that works well.