Moisturiser Recommendations for Low Porosity Textlaxed Hair

lonei

Hi ladies

After all this time I'm just starting to understand my hair. I am low porosity and my hair is always dry even after i just moisturise it. I have recently started doing braidouts on a regular basis and for that I use PrettyWitty77 (youtube)s Moisture Mix which is Hello Hydration, Glycerin (which i just found out my hair LOVES!!!) and water. When using this my hair reverts somewhat and becomes a little frizzy because of the water, this is fine when I am doing braidouts but not on my straight hair. I have been using Elasta QP Mango Butter but after a little while its dry again (although it doesnt make the textlaxed hair frizzy). I have used NTM silk touch as well in the past but again it dries out too quickly.

Any recommendations for a good moisturiser that will not dry the hair out after a few seconds and will not make the hair frizz would be much appreciated!

Thanks and God bless x

faithVA

[USER=2536 said:
lonei[/USER];19189001]Hi ladies

After all this time I'm just starting to understand my hair. I am low porosity and my hair is always dry even after i just moisturise it. I have recently started doing braidouts on a regular basis and for that I use PrettyWitty77 (youtube)s Moisture Mix which is Hello Hydration, Glycerin (which i just found out my hair LOVES!!!) and water. When using this my hair reverts somewhat and becomes a little frizzy because of the water, this is fine when I am doing braidouts but not on my straight hair. I have been using Elasta QP Mango Butter but after a little while its dry again (although it doesnt make the textlaxed hair frizzy). I have used NTM silk touch as well in the past but again it dries out too quickly.

Any recommendations for a good moisturiser that will not dry the hair out after a few seconds and will not make the hair frizz would be much appreciated!

Thanks and God bless x

You may want to read through the Low Porosity Support thread and ask there as well http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=612057

I'm natural so it could be different, but many low porosity ladies avoid cones and you seem to be leaning towards them with your product selections. You may be able to seal with them but I wouldn't moisturize with them.

Please share your full regimen in either this thread or the support thread.

lonei

Thanks for your response. Here is my regimen:
Relaxer Routine

Relax every 12 weeks using ORS Olive Oil Kit Extra Strength

Detangle with PW77 (Hello Hydration, Vegetable Glycerin and Water)

Base scalp with ORS scalp protector

Apply relaxer

Rinse and Neutralise with ORS Aloe Creamy Poo

Colour with Adore Cajun Spice and Sweet Almond Oil. 1 Hour, no heat, towel wrapped round.

Rinse and DC with ORS Replenishing Conditioner mixed with Vegetable Glycerin for 20 mins under the steamer

Rinse and detangle under running water

Leave in shower cap soaking wet

Apply Salerm 21 to sections

Rollerset using Giovanni Frizz Be Gone to each Section

Flat iron roots

Trim

Pin curl or wrap.

Maintenance: Moisturise with Elasta QP Mango Butter and Keracare Essential Oils

General Washing

Wash every 2 weeks

Moisture: Week 2, 4, 8, 10

Pre-poo: Rosemary, Sweet Almond Oil (Most), Pumpkin Seed Oil, Argan oil (Most), Horsetail and Burdock (Coconut and Olive Oil make Lo-Po hair hard)

Shampoo: Keracare 1st Lather, Keracare Hydrating Detangling

Conditioner: Keracare Humecto with added Vegetable Gycerin (Steam for 15 mins and detangle under the shower)

T-Shirt dry hair

Leave in Salerm 21 to all sections

PW77 to all sections

Keracare Essential Oils to all sections

6 Cainrows going back for braid out or Box Braids for sleeker look

Jamaican Castor Oil on scalp

Tie headscarf and put rollers at end

During the week: Moisturise with PW77 and Seal with a small amount of Keracare Essential Oils

Protein: Week 6

ORS Replenishing Conditioner and Vegetable Gylcerin

Everything else the same.

SuchaLady

Do you only have trouble moisturizing in braid outs? I don't wear styles like that mainly for this reason; my hair doesn't accept moisture when it's textured.

bhndbrwneyes

Sounds like you have HIGH porosity, not low. I like Hairitage Hydration moisturizers (particularly Soft Coconut Marshmallows, Mango Colado, and Pink Lemon Berry Mimosa) along with their sealants (Hemp Nostalgia, Mango Tango Cloud, Coconut Mango). I also love NaturelleGrow's moisturizer...But for frizz, I need to use a gel. I use Kinky Curly Curl Custard. A little goes a LONG way.

faithVA

[USER=2536 said:
lonei[/USER];19189001]Hi ladies

Thanks and God bless x

What indications have you had that you are low porosity? The other poster is right. We should start with that premise before we start changing products.

lonei

Do you only have trouble moisturizing in braid outs? I don't wear styles like that mainly for this reason; my hair doesn't accept moisture when it's textured.

No, I have that problem with straight styles too but its worse with braidouts

lonei

I did the strand test and my hair floated on the water at the top and didnt sink at all. Also, relaxers and colour hardly take and as soon as I moisturise its dry again, I did a lot of research on porosity and am definitely low porosity.

This is a new regimen I propose to start using. The old differences between this and the old one are that I use to use porosity control, coconut oil and EVOO which made my hair hard, Keracare Intensive Restorative Mask (im definitely protein sensitive)

Thanks

Bublin

Im surprised your hair likes glycerin and water sprayed onto it. For my lo po hair it would turn it hard and brittle.

Honestly, after about 4 days it is so dry and unmanagable that I have to wash it to give it moisture. Putting on more product just makes it dry and greasy. Spraying water makes also makes it feel straw like. This is because it's just sitting on my strands, on top of the product.

I use ORS Olive Oil moisturiser and Its a 10 Leave-in. I seal with Avocado Oil.

AgeinATL

I use Camille Rose JAI Twist Butter. For straight styles, be careful of how much you use because it can weigh your hair down. I also recommend Silk Dream's Mocha Hair Milk for straight hair. Didn't care for it on non-straight hair or as a leave-in but it is an amazing moisturizer for my straight hair.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Try making sure you add no more than 5% glycerin vs your total amount of leave-in/liquid/conditioner, and see if that helps stop your frizzies.

Last edited:

faithVA

I did the strand test and my hair floated on the water at the top and didnt sink at all. Also, relaxers and colour hardly take and as soon as I moisturise its dry again, I did a lot of research on porosity and am definitely low porosity.

This is a new regimen I propose to start using. The old differences between this and the old one are that I use to use porosity control, coconut oil and EVOO which made my hair hard, Keracare Intensive Restorative Mask (im definitely protein sensitive)

Thanks

Well I would look over the glycerin advise in the thread but I would also take a look at your cone usage. If your cuticles lie flat and then you cover them over with cones, your hair may have a hard time accepting the additional moisture you are trying to get into it. Cones in a heat protectant and maybe in a final sealant but anywhere else in your regimen may not work for you.