Moisture and Protein Balance what do you do to make it work?

brucebettye

I have finally discovered how to control my moisture and protein balance. I finally figured out that my hair is protein sensitive and I can only safely use it once a week. I stay away from any products that have high protein in them as a leave in. I only use moisturizing products as my leave in like scurl. The most effective products I use for protein are Motions CPR or I use 2 eggs mixed with Aussie Moist or Motions Moisture Plus.
So I just wanted to know how everyone else takes care of their moisture and protein balance. Thanks in advance for replying.

Qualitee

I noticed that with naturals they need less protein and more moisture. But with relaxed heads they need alot of protein and not as much moisture.

Dominican09

So I just wanted to know how everyone else takes care of their moisture and protein balance. Thanks in advance for replying.

I just follow what my hair is doing...if I see that is breaking or hard to detangle...I will do a protein treatment (ORS Hair Mayo) followed by a deep conditioner with Ashlii Amala Red Raspberry Intense Deep Conditioner Hair Mask, Queen Helene's Cholesterol, or La Bomba. I deep condition every week as well...trying to do it twice per week and hopefully I will stop procrastinating and buy a steamer...

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
well i do alott of protein!!! currently using mega tek. and im still doing my DC every week with a protein rich conditioner AND PLUS i still do my aphogee every three weeks. i dont see any protein overload lol. i keep my hair moisturized every day. works out well.

ceebee3

I pre-poo with protein every other week and I do a hardcore treatment every 6-8 weeks.

I only use moisturizing conditioners every other time. If I need some added strength, I'll rollerset with a protein leave in.

I'm relaxed.

LaidBak

I noticed that with naturals they need less protein and more moisture. But with relaxed heads they need alot of protein and not as much moisture.

I would have to disagree. I think it depends on the hair type moreso than whether or not you are relaxed or natural.

I am relaxed 4B and a lot of the other relaxed 4a/b/c I've chatted with cannot tolerate strong doses of protein. But we are doing something moisture related weekly and sometimes daily.

OP the way I maintain it is to just watch my hair very carefully. My routine is moisture based. So the minute I notice any mushiness I have my protein products on standby so I can course correct.

longhairlover

with naturals your cuticle is in tack, so most of the time you dont need protein and if a person chooses to use it use a light one like op does.

for relaxed heads we need the protein to fill in the gaps of damaged cuticles and to keep the relaxed hair strong.

I use protein once every 2 weeks a light one sebastian penetraitt, the rest of the time I use moisture shampoos. But since my hair is back to normal (beat you for now thyroid/meds) I will lay off of it (maybe use a protein shampoo once a month) because it's making my hair a little too strong which can lead to breakge if I don't stop.

theoneandonly

with naturals your cuticle is in tack, so most of the time you dont need protein and if a person chooses to use it use a light one like op does.

for relaxed heads we need the protein to fill in the gaps of damaged cuticles and to keep the relaxed hair strong.

I use protein once every 2 weeks a light one sebastian penetraitt, the rest of the time I use moisture shampoos. But since my hair is back to normal (beat you for now thyroid/meds) I will lay off of it (maybe use a protein shampoo once a month) because it's making my hair a little too strong which can lead to breakge if I don't stop.

Im so glad someone with thyroid problems posted. I have hypothyroidism and it can do a number on your hair as far as being dry and the medication/condition makes it shed. I finally started using Roux Porosity control with my conditioners and I think I am protein sensitive too. Too much and my hair feel like a brillo pad,steel wool, straw, hay. u get the idea.:drunk: And snaps/sheds like crazy. Before I started using Roux, my hair would not even respond to moisturizing creams,shampoos, or conditioners, Now they soak in and actually work.

Tif392002

i just listen to my hair....if it seems dry or brittle i will use a moisturizing conditioner mixed with castor oil or evoo, or coconut oil..ex( sauve humetecant/castor oil)

if it seems too soft or mushy while its wet, i will give it very light protien, like Aphogee gree tea reconstructor.

most of the time the balance is correct now, since I joing LHCF :), so i will just use the moisture bases products and use the protien as needed..

nymane

I'm 4b/a relaxed and I love hardcore protein treatments. I usually do Aphogee 2-step every 8 weeks (or when my hair wants it), after that I use moisture based DC's with a little protein...I never experienced protein overload or moisture overload