Miss Jessie's and Mixed Chicks at the Beauty Supply Store?!

Solitude

EDITED 10/11/10 - Ladies, I feel a little silly for not doing my research! This beauty supply store is listed as a retailer on BOTH of the companies' websites, so the products are legitimate!

This may be old news, but I was really surprised to walk into an Asian-owned beauty supply store in Houston and see a rather large display of Mixed Chicks AND Miss Jessie's. They had more Miss Jessie's than Target carries! I even saw a large jar of Super Sweetback treatment, which isn't in Target yet (last time I checked).

The only issue I have is that already expensive Miss Jessie's products were marked up even higher! Each product, even the samples, was about two dollars more than Miss Jessie's, Naturally Curly, and Mixed Chicks buys them for. Besides that, everything looked authentic. IDK, but are these products in beauty supply stores everywhere? 'Cause this is the first time I've seen this in Houston!

View attachment 96638

Mixed Chicks

View attachment 96640

Miss Jessie's Products

View attachment 96642

More Miss Jessie's!

View attachment 96644

Super Sweetback Treatment for $49.99

View attachment 96646

Off topic, but they also had imitation Denman brushes :lol:.

For anybody in Houston, this was the Jolla Bella BSS at Scott & Grigg's. I'm sure they'll get a lot of college students to buy these products, even though Target is cheaper. (They are right by two universities.)

Last edited:

bluediamond0829

Yes maam they have been carrying Mixed Chicks for awhile at the BSS close by me in Atlanta.

I just ordered some samples last night of it just to give it a try to see what it would be like on my hair.

Miss Jessies I dont really care much for the smell of the Baby Buttercream is just too much for me and I had another product also that I didnt care much for. I still have the Baby Buttercream so i may see if one of my girlfriends wants it and give it to them.

My Friend

I love the fact that those companies have grown and expanded their distribution base, I hate the fact that once again Asian based bss that don't give back to the community will profit greatly.

Solitude

Man, I guess Houston is late! I was like wow....ugh, now I want to try Mixed Chicks just because it's so easy to buy there :wallbash:

Simply_elle

I second MyFriend...

The whole purpose of these homegrown products...to me anyway was the supporter of small business, persons of color ect. I don't patronize BSS at ALL! I just don't like how all these years they have profited from our skewed beauty ideals...*le sigh*

Amoreofcurls

Wow I live in NYC, and ive never seen them in reg BSS's...You usually see them at Rickys NYC, or stores that sell professional hair products...You ladies are lucky you dont have to go out your way anymore...

Solitude

Wow I live in NYC, and ive never seen them in reg BSS's...You usually see them at Rickys NYC, or stores that sell professional hair products...You ladies are lucky you dont have to go out your way anymore...

yeah, before they were in Target, I was going to Uncle Funky's in Houston, but they were marked up like $5 there!

I think I'm actually going to stop back by there today and pick up a sample of Quick Curls.

BTW, your hair is beautiful!

Solitude

I second MyFriend...

The whole purpose of these homegrown products...to me anyway was the supporter of small business, persons of color ect. I don't patronize BSS at ALL! I just don't like how all these years they have profited from our skewed beauty ideals...*le sigh*

I know, it's a tough dilemma...on one hand, they have taken over the markert. On the other hand, they are usually small businesses owned by individual families. I usually try to find one or two that have good service and patronize them regularly. The BSS by my house has a lot of stuff and the family that owns it is really nice.

Guitarhero

I love the fact that those companies have grown and expanded their distribution base, I hate the fact that once again Asian based bss that don't give back to the community will profit greatly.

LOL. I agree. They won't even hire Blacks around here but they will sell to them...after following them around and giving nasty attitudinal service. Hell, Koreans are nasty to each other so that's no big surprise. But make sure that what you're buying at the bss is the actual product. There is a thriving supply business of pirated bottles and mixer products they combine with the real thing...or add fragrance or water to stretch...you might not be getting the actual thing. A Nigerian product rep confirmed this to me and alluded to a very large national online company...:yep: I've heard of this thing before.

Last edited:

Fab_Nikki

I live in the DMV and I haven't seen Mixed Chicks in any stores. I had to get some @ Ricky's in NYC. MJ is in the Targets here but I'm not too pressed about them. I prefer Shea Moisture over MJs.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
BSS in Dallas have carried mixed chicks for a while. Not sure about MissJessies

I saw Hydrathermal Naturals last week

cutiebe2

Yeah they have all that stuff at the BSS near me including Qhemet!! Same price though so im okay with it

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Yeah, I'm in the DMV and the BSS's in Greenbelt sell Mixed Chicks. The lady tried to get me to buy it when I walked in. She was like "I have the perfect product for you!".I hate that stuff though - made my hair feel like straw. I've not seen MJ's though..

Blackmagic

I'm in Houston! I guess this is my opportunity to see what Miss Jessies is all about...But then again with those price tags...I may just lurk on Ebay a little longer:ohwell:

Solitude

LOL. I agree. They won't even hire Blacks around here but they will sell to them...after following them around and giving nasty attitudinal service. Hell, Koreans are nasty to each other so that's no big surprise. But make sure that what you're buying at the bss is the actual product. There is a thriving supply business of pirated bottles and mixer products they combine with the real thing...or add fragrance or water to stretch...you might not be getting the actual thing. A Nigerian product rep confirmed this to me and alluded to a very large national online company...:yep: I've heard of this thing before.

See....this was my first thought when I saw the products on the shelves - that it might not be the real thing. But, they had the whole product line and a professional-looking display with promotional materials. You're completely right about being careful!

As far as Koreans...I personally have no problem with Korean people. Houston is a diverse city with a huge Asian population. A lot of my friends growing up were Vietnames and Chinese, so I just look at them as regular people trying to make a living. Now, I don't like how many shops don't carry black-owned companies are being shut out, but at the same time I wouldn't want somebody of a different race to refuse to patronize black businesses.

Here, they hire blacks and Hispanics to walk around and help customers. My son's aunt works at a BSS here in Houston doing customer service. They also hire black beauticians to apply lace front wigs.

I'm in Houston! I guess this is my opportunity to see what Miss Jessies is all about...But then again with those price tags...I may just lurk on Ebay a little longer:ohwell:

I was very cautious initially. I actually got a ton of samples here for much cheaper before buying full sizes. For summer, I like the Creme de la Curl and Creme de la Creme.

If theyhave BOGO again this year, I'm going to buy a few items - definitely Curly Meringue and Stretch Silkening Creme.

Last edited:

bronzebomb

I went to the BSS and saw everything (full line)- Curls, Miss Jessie's, Jane Carter Solutions. Granted, Miss Jessie's was marked up a little. But Jane Carter Solutions is less expensive.

Seems like "natural" has gone retail! I am probably going to make my own mixes. (After, I use all of my other products)

MissB

For those of you in DMV, Freestyle Beauty on Little River Turnpike has Mixed Chicks, Miss Jessie's, Alter Ego, Silicon Mix, and Deva Curl.

SVT

Dallas/Fort Worth has black-owned stores that sell these products. :grin:

Shout out to Beauty for U in Arlington for their fantastic customer service! Hope the order for Qhemet Biologics comes through! That would be an excellent complement to an already great selection of fubu haircare lines! :yep:

Solitude

Ladies, I updated my original post....I feel a little silly for not doing my research before posting, but I checked both the Mixed Chicks site and Miss Jessie's site and this beauty supply store is listed as a retailer on both sites!!!!

Miss Jessie's Original

Where to Buy

Actually, these products are EVERYWHERE!!!! Once I found out it was all good, I purchased a sample of Quick Curls from them today! LOL

shiney_sapphire

OMG I go to Jolla Bella BSS all of the time and I did see that! My best find there is the Nairobi big tub of relaxer. That BSS is one best! I live close by and get excited when I see the dlivery truck! lol