Maybe a Silly Question...(re: stretching relaxer)

Kamilah

...but do you COMB your roots when you're stretching relaxers? Do you just moisturize them and tie them down? Do you pray that a rollerset straightens them out? I don't get it?

Not to harp on the generally BEASTLINESS of 4A hair, but I'm saying it ain't easy combin a coil!

So how do you do it?

Isis

After deep conditioning, I detangle my hair under the force of the shower, using a Jilbere comb, being careful with the newgrowth. Then I apply a good detangling leave-in conditioner, like Biolage Matrix Leave-in or Giovanii Direct, focusing on the newgrowth and comb it through. My 13th week (or beyond) I really take my time, using my fingers a lot to help with detangling. But a good leave-in is the key for me. :yep:

After airdrying in a rollerset, I then style my hair, using my satin or silk scarf to keep my newgrowth flattened as much as possible. Sylver2 has pictures in her album of her scarf method to stretch her relaxers.

Last edited:

SohoHair

I comb and detangle while in the shower, the pressure helps me to detangle thoroughly, I find that unless I detangle the NG well I get matting and knots. Then I apply my leave-ins, get out of the shower and rollerset. Adding amla oil/powder to my pre-poo/henna mixes has helped to get the NG really straight manageable and it is really easy to comb through with my leave-ins and a serum in my hair. I then sit under a dryer on the lowest setting until my hair is dry. I'm also 4a with a teeny patch of 3 something the nape and I am 15 weeks post touchup.:)

Mars_Reiko

I can only tame my new growth with heat when I get so far along. I'm 16 weeks post now. This might not help you much (don't know if you're not using heat). But it works for me. I get far more less shedding and breakage. I don't comb the new growth (impossible at this point). I just use a blow dryer and round brush to get it fairly straight and go over it with a flat-iron.

nycutiepie

I only comb my hair on wash days and I do not comb my roots other than under the running water while rinsing out my deep conditioner. I also comb my leave-ins through since my hair is already detangled from the DC. During the week, I do not comb at all and I only wear buns or falls when I'm going out but my hair is still pulled back in a bun when I wear the fall. I apply my moisturizers and finger comb but it's more like separating with my hand and applying moisturizers/sealers in sections if that makes sense. I occasionally rake.....not comb......over the top layer in the front to cover my thin edges and I use Sylver2's scarf method to keep my hair flat and it WORKS. I don't suggest combing through the roots when stretching if your hair is a 4a/b but that's just my opinion.

InnerSoul

Kamilah said:
...but do you COMB your roots when you're stretching relaxers? Do you just moisturize them and tie them down? Do you pray that a rollerset straightens them out? I don't get it?

Not to harp on the generally BEASTLINESS of 4A hair, but I'm saying it ain't easy combin a coil!

So how do you do it?

this is what I do: I don't comb my new growth.. I finger comb it(unless it's wet and I am combing in sections preparing for rollersets. I wash 2x a week to keep my new growth soft and moisturized. When I do roller sets and sit under the dryer, the heat from the dryer helps straighten the new growth!!....using a rinse out conditioner for slip also helps dramatically with keeping the new growth and hair strands straight!

I am actually 3 months post and will be getting a relaxer (ORS no-lye) Friday... I also have 4a hair type. hth

Last edited: