Making wavy hair curly??

*fabulosity*

Bumping this again. Going to the DR in a month and really want to successfully rock my hair curly for the majority of the trip.
My hair is very wavy when wet.. and with the relaxer it looks pretty darn good wavy... it's just maintaining it after it dries and the ends.. The ends are looking good since they've been trimmed recently. I don't know what my texture is but finer and wavier in most spots.. I tried to take some wet hair pics ..but couldn't get close enough to show the texture..

So these are the products that are on my "to-try" list for a successful WNG on my trip

Curly Pudding
Noodle Head
Maybe Miss Jessies Quick Curls? (I see it's new)
Light oil (maybe the morrocan oil or grapeseed, jojoba)

Which of these is a must have? What are some other recs? And some good methods for creating the "cute" curly?

Thanks!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Hey, Fab, I was just given a tip on this. Try doing some 2 strand twists and curling them. After the set, do a twistout. There is a video on you tube showing it. It is a version of the curly afro. I know U relaxed, so it would really work out better for you. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.:ohwell:

MCMLXXII

Hi! I've tried Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and it's a good curl defining cream (I had a silkner). I visited Miss Jessie's when Miko was in DC last summer and the "trick" with Curly Pudding is that your hair must be very wet. When they apply Curly Pudding to your hair in the salon, they spray your hair with water while working in the "Pudding." If you skip this step, your hair will be crunchy. To save time, I simply held my hair under the shower stream and then applied the product. You should know that Curly Pudding is very fragrant...which is why they now make a fragrance-free version.

Also, I've tried the Noodle Head product. I didn't like it because it's white and I found it difficult to "work-in" without agitating my coils too much. Maybe I used too much product, I dunno.

Aloe Vera gel works best for me. It's a great curl defining product and it's clear! I apply this to my wet hair and air dry. Easy cheesey.

Lastly, I've tried (and loved) Sunsilk's Captivating Curls Gel & Cream Twist. Available at Target, Walgreens, etc. I use about 4 pumps of this stuff and voila...defined curls. Love it!

HTH

Last edited:

mnemosyne

Scrunching is annoying but if you can sit and do it when your hair is about 1/3rd dry without breaking the curl pattern it helps.

wonderstar

From my experience no amount of products on their own can transform hair from being wavy to curly. Pin curls, bantu knots, rollersets etc. can create curly hairstyles.

I can't comment on the products since I've never tried them.

glamazon386

If your hair is relaxed and the curl has been loosened no curl product is going to make curls out of waves. What your hair looks like wet with conditioner on it is what your curl pattern is going to look like if you wash and go more than likely. The same thing goes for hair that has been relaxed bone straight. Even if your hair is naturally curly, if the chemical has straightened the curl there is no product that will bring curls out of nowhere. You can try doing a twist out or setting your hair on rods or rollers to give you the style to desire but that is about it. I wouldn't waste my money on curl potions.

Last edited:

Eisani

I won't tell u not to experiment with products but one thing to keep in mind is that curly hair can look wavy, but wavy hair can't be curly (if that makes sense) so make sure you're certain about what category your hair falls under. What I'm saying is that even if you decide to use a product for curly hair, as others have mentioned, try using it on wet hair and maybe twisting or even braiding to get some type of definition. Try with the less expensive ones first like the Sunsilk (love) or even Curls Rock. Now if your hair curls up, then you're a curly head with the appearance of waves, not a wavy head! If it doesn't work, then yea, you're wavy and not curly.

*fabulosity*

Thanks guys.. I tied to find some pics of what I'm talking about.. I guess I wouldn't mind if i was wavy..if it stayed defined and not dry looking.. I like the way my hair looks when its wet and almost dried.. I want something quick so I can get wet and apply X product and get going with out having to do much and airdry... The curly pudding stuff seems too expensive..maybe I'll try the aveda be curly stuff.. I used a bit of that in Jamaica in May and it wasn't horrible.

How do I insert big pictures into a post? I want to put in some pics from there and give a better idea of what I'm talking about. I got cornrows in the front ..but I was six months post and my ends needed to be trimmed like noone's business..but it wasn't bad at all..

sunshinebeautiful

I cowash in the morning, douse my hair with cheapie conditioner (do not rinse out), and then I lightly layer with Pantene Curl Scrunching gel, scrunch into waves, and leave it alone till it dries completely.

*fabulosity*

Hey guys... I'm bumping this again..... Because of the Miss Jessie's sale at curlmart.. I ordered the meringue and quick curls.. because it said that those help relaxed hair look curly. I also ordered some curly custard from afroveda.. I know.. but I'm a PJ.

This is all for my carribean trip.. I know it's going to be hotter than hell..

How do yall use this Miss Jessie's stuff? I need a step by step from somebody who uses this Miss Jessie's or Afroveda.. I don't want to be looking crazy in my pics. LOL... and I'm not trying to blow dry at all while I'm there.

*fabulosity*

Hi! I've tried Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and it's a good curl defining cream (I had a silkner). I visited Miss Jessie's when Miko was in DC last summer and the "trick" with Curly Pudding is that your hair must be very wet. When they apply Curly Pudding to your hair in the salon, they spray your hair with water while working in the "Pudding." If you skip this step, your hair will be crunchy. To save time, I simply held my hair under the shower stream and then applied the product. You should know that Curly Pudding is very fragrant...which is why they now make a fragrance-free version.

Also, I've tried the Noodle Head product. I didn't like it because it's white and I found it difficult to "work-in" without agitating my coils too much. Maybe I used too much product, I dunno.

Aloe Vera gel works best for me. It's a great curl defining product and it's clear! I apply this to my wet hair and air dry. Easy cheesey.

Lastly, I've tried (and loved) Sunsilk's Captivating Curls Gel & Cream Twist. Available at Target, Walgreens, etc. I use about 4 pumps of this stuff and voila...defined curls. Love it!

HTH
I also bought some aloe vera gel.. thanks for this lady!

tatiana

I am dubious about Miss Jessie products making wavy hair curly. did you buy any buttercreme because their curling products can dry the hair? IMO Miss Jessie products work better with heat. I also would bring some rollers or do some bantu knots as plan B.

did you check out their styling page?

http://www.missjessies.com/styling.html

*fabulosity*

Thanks! I am going with my hair down (regular)... but I know after going to the beach and pool. I will probably do the little pony tail things in the morning after I shower and pull them all into a big ponytail bun. I think the miss jessie's will help to prevent the frizz that usually follows when it air dries. I guess I should change the title.. I want it to be it's natural wavy/curly state and not look frizzy when it dries. My hair is a lot tighter (shrinks) than the first lady that they try the meringue on (which is what I bought; not the pudding as it says it helps with relaxed hair) and it says you can airdry or do it with heat.

ETA: I was toying with the idea of bringing some red flexi rods for a dry set and instead of wrapping at night (before I get wet initially) and seeing how that works. Of course I will be testing all this stuff out before I go.. lol.