Major Wash Day

Blacktresses

Some on this forum wash their hair twice a week. Others do conditioners washes during the week with a major wash at the end of the week. It appears that most relaxed heads wash twice a week and do very well with their length ( means that their hair is really growing in length).

What I am trying to understand is that the ones that wash twice a week, do they do major washes twice a week or just shampoo and conditioner ( the second time they do a wash ) Has anyone every wondered

Example. March 2004 Feature of the Month - CaramelHonee. It was stated that she washes twice a week. So two times a week does she do a major wash ? I'm a 4a natural. I do only one major wash a week with 2 to 3 conditioner washes during the week. I really feel that I may benefit from 2 major washes a week ( but where would I find the strength and effort to do that
)

Can you all chime in and help a sista out

Nay

Blacktresses,

I'm a natural too, and I usually only wash my hair once every five days. And on that day I just wash and condition like normal.

After joining this board, for a short while I tried washing my hair more frequently, but I didn't really feel that I reaped any benefits. As a matter of fact, it was just kind of a hassle. So I went back to my normal routine.

bellydancer

I used to do that, but now I pretty much just conditioner wash 3-4 times a week. I wash with shampoo whenever I feel a buildup which is like every 2 or 3 weeks and I deep condition with every shampoo. That's my new routine and it really seems to work. My hair stays VERY moisturized. I don't use much protein because I'm natural and my hair is pretty strong all by itself. It's in need of moisture.

G

My hair is natural but I am trying the "wash every 3 days or twice a week" thing. My hair does seem to "dry out" sometimes though..so I try to keep it moisturized. I'm going to switch to washing once a week soon though. I never tried conditioning washes and don't plan on to.

Isis

My hair is relaxed and it LOVES my washing it every 3 days. This means a major wash every 3 days. At first I thought I couldn't possible do it that often but after a while it has become a habit and I see good results with my hair. After reading Cathy Howse's book, I think it's probably more important do to for relaxed heads.

Edited to add:

I wish I could do conditioner washes but they do not work for me.

Angelicus

I co-wash daily or every other day.
I do the major stuff (pre-treatment + clarifying, deep conditioning) maybe once a week. the trick is to listen to your hair (i know that sounds crazy) but it works.

TinyT

I am natural. I wash twice a week. One day is a shampoo and conditoner with something mild and moisturizing. The next time I use a shampoo that clarifies, deep condition with an ultra moisturizing conditioner, and sometimes an oil treatment.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
I co-wash daily or every other day.
I do the major stuff (pre-treatment + clarifying, deep conditioning) maybe once a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

-D i t t o

KinksnCurlz

I must say that I try to make sure i wash my hair 2x a week but sometimes i am not that lucky. I'll usually wind up alternating weeks, like this week i'll wash 2x and next week ill wash only once. it all depends on how much time i have.
Now about 'major washing' im taking that to mean shampoo, deep condition, treatment, etc.
Yes, i do that each time i wash my hair. It has become habitual 2 me. I've never tried the conditioner wash but i will when the weather gets hotter and i can afford going out with my hair wet.

G

Relaxed

Wash twice a week.

Shampoo and Instant Conditioner for the first.

Shampoo, Deep Conditioner for the second.

CO wash, never really made sense to me. I tried it but it's just coating your hair, and then builds up and you need to clarify to get it all out. But I don't see any benefit from it esp with the use of daily moist. prod on top of it.

Tami

Miss Bubblegum
I'm relaxed snd I major wash two times a week
alternating instant conditioner and protein treatments
it really helps keep my hair moisturized and bouncy!!

webby

Think Slim
I am relaxed and used to go to a Dominican salon every single week. I now only wash my hair when it really needs it the most, particularly during the summer.

My own experiences revealed that although I had plenty of growth, my hair seemed much duller, required much more moisture than when I washed it less.

It also takes about 2 hours for me to dry my short hair, so needless to say, I don't always have the time to do that.

I think that everyone's hair has different requirments.

ccd

Relaxed.....
I use to wash 1x per week

since joining LH..I wash 2x per week...but in the summer I will definitely do more CO Ws bcause about 3 weeks ago I did a major deep treatment period ( 2 weeks of CO Ws with moisture and protein...alternating braidouts/airdry/twistout styles......and I REALLY noticed a difference

1-my hair is not shedding, only 4-5 hairs on the comb/sink
2- hair is fuller AND THE BEST.......
3- I noticed 1 inch of growth in a month

nita4

Once a week in the winter, twice or more (condition washes) in the spring/summer/fall (warmer) months.

Always, deep condition once a week. When I shampoo more, I use an instant conditioner (Pantene relaxed & naural) or condition wash, pull into a bun and go - no heat.

ChocoKitty

Natural and I wash & deep-condition at least 1 a week. If my hair feels dirty I don't wait the whole week. Waiting causes my hair to shed and tangle from the excess oil and dirt.