maintaning perm rod sets on natural hair

locabouthair

I just did my perm rod set and it only lasted a day.:( Mainly because I sleep wild and the ends got frizzy fast. What do you suggest is better gel or setting lotion? I would like the style to last a week. I planned on using fantasia's sparklelites gel so it could stay in place. And how should I sleep with it?

hopeful

Wish I could help you girl but I've not tried a rollerset on my natural hair yet. Hope you get good responses because I hope to try this out soon too.:)

lovelymissyoli

I only have a few inches of natural hair and the rest is relaxed, however, when I strawset or rollerset my hair, I always use setting lotion and then spray some hairspray on my natural hair so that it can hold better. In any case, all my hair curls, however, of course the relaxed hair is going to hold longer.

Africurly

I don't know if you're still concerned about this, but I think the key is to make sure that the hair lies absolutely smooth and flat on the roller before you continue. I have used curl wax on the ends to keep them from frizzing. A satin scarf is supposed to help with smoothness. Oil sheen spray may help too but I'm not sure.

oglorious1

Mixologist
I tried a straw set on my natural hair, with BBD Curl Creme, the only problem is the roots, and the rest gets tangled...so if you can get your roots straight it shouldn't be a problem...

moda

If I just rollerset my hair down (no spirals), I normally wrap my hair around my head and put my scarf on. For my ends I normally use marcel curl wax and/or black n sassy hot sheen. If you are doing a spiral set and trying to keep the curls formed, it would be best to sleep on a silk/satin pillowcase and the curls seem to last longer. I normally go against my better judgement and wrap my hair, however, the few times I slept without a scarf on my hair lasted longer.

SouthernTease

I used to use Bone Straight back in the day...
haven't seen that stuff in forever.
Curl Wax too... it made my curls last for like a week
and I slept BAD!!!
I'm gonna try tonight.

imstush

I haven't done a perm rod set (although I am dying to), I have been using regular rollers. Not sure how you feel about products with cones, but that seems to help my rollersets. I am currently using silicone mix as my leave in.

LynnieB

hmmm........well, i did a perm rod set on xmas eve last year and i think it lasted about 4-5 days before i got bored and wash it out. i just can not remember :perplexed

i know i used beige, orange and pink rollers, diluted lottabody and pre-oiled endpapers.

it was a tight set and i actually separated the curls. the set loosened up really nice as time went on. i didn't mess with them at all and plopped a satin bonnet over them at night.

i do remember my ends were not a problem and actually stayed extremely smooth. the roots tried to wave up on me a bit but i was the only one who knew it. probably could have made some pincurls and the roots wouldn't have waved up at all but didn't wanna be bothered.

i used a denman brush to help saturate the ends with the setting and to help smooth them down then wrapped the oiled end papers around the ends and rolled it up.

maybe you can try using some end papers? old skool but effective.

locabouthair

I remember this post when I was natural. I sleep very wild. My head tie and my sheets are off the bed, the teddy bears are on the floor :lol: That's why I dont usually do curls, although I would like to. They just dont stay long with the way I sleep:nono: I remember doing the rod set on y natural and it was cute for a day but the next day it looked like I needed to get my hair done again:ohwell:

SouthernTease

I always use end papers anyway
because I don't use heat on my
ends and it keeps them super smooth.

I went to BSS today...
I got IC Olive Styling Gel
and Elasta QP Mango Butter... I will probably post pics
to my blog later or make a new thread...
not sure which ones I'm going to use yet...
IC Olive Styling Gel
Purified Water Aqua , Glycerin , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Olea Europaea Fruit Extract Olive , Hydrolyzed Silk , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Aloe Vera , Dimethicone Copolyol , Tocopheryl Acetate Vit. E , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Polysorbate-20 , Benzophenone-4 , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Disodiium EDTA ,
Fragrance Parfum
Elasta QP Mango Butter.
Purified water, squalane (olove oil derived), caprylic/capric triglyceride (coconut oil derived), peg-75 lanolin, behntrimonium methosulfate, hexadecanol, cetearyl alcohol, ceterareth-20, dimethicone, phenyl trimethicone, Mango seed butter, cocoa seed butter, hydrolyzed silk, serica, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, fragrance, fd&c yellow no.5.

SEMO

It's been awhile since I've done this style (I last did while I was transitioning). I don't remember the products I used, but I do remember that I just slept in a satin bonnet and re-fluffed my hair in the morning (maybe spritizing it with some water).

Off topic:
Lynnie your twists are beautiful!!! :yep:

ETA:
I remember now, I used LottaBody setting lotion like Lynnie.

Last edited: