Lye=shedding, no lye = dryness what the heck!

atlien

Hey you guys....question....I switched to a lye relaxer because I was using no-lye and it caused major dryness(with all the conditioning in the world), but I had no shedding I could comb all day and I experienced no shedding. I recently switched to lye and the shedding increased almost instantly. I see those long strands on the back of my shirt. The no-lye relaxer left my hair thick but dry with some breakage...the lye relaxer left it soft with to much shedding but no breakage. I want long hair but not thin long hair. I remember when I used only lye before my hair was long but thin.

The question is do any of you ladies know of a no lye relaxer that will leave the hair soft, moist, oily not dry and brittle.
...Is Affirm sensitive good?

sugawooga

I stopped using no-lye relaxers because of the same reason. I would suffer from ALOT of breakage. At the time I didn't know what was causing the breakage until I read "Beautiful Black Hair" by Shamboosie. It's alot of helpful advice in that book (I checked it out at the library) In the book it talks about how drying no-lye is and eventually your hair will snap and break off due to this dryness and no matter how much conditioning you do it won't stop the process. He says the best type of relaxer is a moisturizing lye relaxer. My last relaxer (in May 04) was a lye relaxer. I loved the results. I think the secret to relaxing your hair with a lye relaxer is not allowing the relaxer to stay on too long. I only keep it on my hair for 8 minutes tops. At first I only did the new growth then I read about corrective relaxers. This is when you cover you dry, no-lye relaxed hair with your moisturizing lye relaxer. You only let it stay on your hair for 3-4minutes then wash out with neutralizing shampoo. This procedure does cause alot of shedding but IMO it was well worth it. My hair shedded tremdeously afterward and it WAS scarry but my hair is sooo much more heathy than before. I chopped off about an inch of hair also so that I could start over with my ends. Than inch of hair grew back in one months time and I didn't miss it at all. My hair is now really thick and healthy and I am now noticing significant growth.

I think lye relaxers are way better than no-lye relaxers. I don't think that their are any no-lye relaxers out there that doesn't cause dry, brittle hair.

BLESSED1

I've been using no-lye for over 10 years, PCJ adult formula, and never had a problem with dryness. But everyone's hair is different, what works for one may not work for another and most people here have had bad experiences with no-lye while I'm like the only one who's hair is thriving on it!

Neroli

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
I experience shedding with No-Lye and great results with Affirm Lye Mild. What type of perm are you using?

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO. My 4b hair LOVES affirm lye mild. To repeat the question, which lye relaxer are you using?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Before switching from no-lye to lye, most recommend to make sure all of the no-lye hair is gone before applying the lye. So maybe that is why u had problems with switching from no-lye to lye. Here's what the 'Hair Lady' said about no-lye and lye relaxers (but I would NOT suggest Pink Oil Moisturizer as a moisturizer
:

NOTE ABOUT NO-LYE RELAXERS: I do not suggest that you grow your hair using a NO-LYE RELAXER. I also do not suggest that you wear extensions over your hair with a No-lye relaxer in. No lye relaxers are very drying and tangles excessively when shampooed. Abba Moisture Scentsation Conditioner and Pink Oil Moisturizer helps maintain as much as possible. Lye relaxers perform better.

However, If you want to grow out your No lye relaxer and keep length, use the braid extension to grow out the No-Lye relaxer. Each time you take out the braids extensions (after two months) and have new growth, cut out the No-Lye relaxer a little at a time..

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
BLESSED1 said:
I've been using no-lye for over 10 years, PCJ adult formula, and never had a problem with dryness. But everyone's hair is different, what works for one may not work for another and most people here have had bad experiences with no-lye while I'm like the only one who's hair is thriving on it!

[/ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of ladies here who use no-lye and have never had problems. It's true though, what works for some may not work for another.

AdoredMa

Before joining a hair care forum I've never hear of no-lye relaxers being worse than lye relaxers, I use soft and beautiful and my hair is ALWAYS soft, never dry, and I can extend my relaxers without a problem, I used a Lye relaxer(affirm) once at a hair salonand my hair broke off like crazy, and another time I used Motions lye relaxer and my mother put only a small amount on my edges and it burned off all of my baby hair. Y'all dont find that lye relaxers are too strong, how often do you get them done, I could just see how bald headed I would be if I got a lye relaxer every 2-3 months.

atlien

[ QUOTE ]
AdoredMa said:
Before joining a hair care forum I've never hear of no-lye relaxers being worse than lye relaxers, I use soft and beautiful and my hair is ALWAYS soft, never dry, and I can extend my relaxers without a problem, I used a Lye relaxer(affirm) once at a hair salonand my hair broke off like crazy, and another time I used Motions lye relaxer and my mother put only a small amount on my edges and it burned off all of my baby hair. Y'all dont find that lye relaxers are too strong, how often do you get them done, I could just see how bald headed I would be if I got a lye relaxer every 2-3 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your hair texture or type?

rowandaP

Atlien, everybody's hair is different, I used Affirm No-Lye for over 8 years with no problems at all. There was no more dryness than the usual dryness of our hair.

I switched to Lye but have'nt noticed much difference, but then I've learn to care for my hair now and I believe that's the only reason it's not dry. My new growth is always very, very, very dry and it' has had no relaxer on it so, I beleive the problem is we just have dry hair.

The Affirm is the best, I think shamboosie was talking about store bought box perms. These can't compare to the quality of Affirm. Were you using Box Perms?

atlien

[ QUOTE ]
rowandaP said:
Atlien, everybody's hair is different, I used Affirm No-Lye for over 8 years with no problems at all. There was no more dryness than the usual dryness of our hair.

I switched to Lye but have'nt noticed much difference, but then I've learn to care for my hair now and I believe that's the only reason it's not dry. My new growth is always very, very, very dry and it' has had no relaxer on it so, I beleive the problem is we just have dry hair.

The Affirm is the best, I think shamboosie was talking about store bought box perms. These can't compare to the quality of Affirm. Were you using Box Perms?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was using box relaxers
. So you think Affirm no lye is good? They call it sensitive scalp right.

rowandaP

Yeah, they call it Sensitive Scalp.

Whatever you decide, though Lye or No Lye I don't think you can go wrong with Affirm.

Honi

There is no board.
Before I came to the boards I used to switch back and forth from lye to no lye. Boxed relaxers always left my hair with a dry, chaulk like feeling. The only one I remember not having that feeling afterwards was Vitale sensitive scalp

kitchen_tician

I experienced shedding from Affirm Fiberguard No-Lye perm, but it stopped once I switched to Affirm Lye Mild.

My hair sheds with all No Lye perms and I had scalp irritation from the Fiberguard No-Lye, with extreme itching. I think I was allergic to it.
No lye may work very well for you. My hair and scalp just doesn't like them.