Lye over No- Lye

disgtgyal

Can I put a lye relaxer over a no- lye and would that stop the excessive dryness I've been experiencing as a result of the last application of no- lye. My ends are also frizzy and my hair is very matted when wet which I only experienced after my no- lye relaxer, so is it a good idea to do a smooth through about fiv mins before I rinse out?

I remember in a shamboosie book that when you first use a lye relaxer you should apply to all the hair as a way of undoing the process of the no-lye relaxer

I remember in a shamboosie book that when you first use a lye relaxer you should apply to all the hair as a way of undoing the process of the no-lye relaxer

If I understand you correctly I'm applying the relaxer from root to tip basically

I tried it and it didn't work :nono: All I got was overprocessed ends. It did end up less frizzy but still dryness was still there.

I had a no-lye texlax and it wasn't working for me, dry, frizzy, hard to manage hair. So I put a LYE texlax on the new growth only. I would not overlap No-Lye with Lye. I think it's asking for trouble.

IF the hair is already dry and breaking, another chemical process on top of the old on is bad - IMO.

I'm trimming the ends and pretty much maintaining my current length until all the dry No-Lye hair is pretty much gone. I reached almost BSL from APL in no time flat once I switched over to a Lye relaxer. I retain more length and trim less.

I tried it and it didn't work :nono: All I got was overprocessed ends. It did end up less frizzy but still dryness was still there.

When you did it did you apply it as you would a virgin relaxer or did you do a comb through the last few mins before you washed it out?

I definitely would not do that. I switched from lye to no-lye relaxer last year and was experincing dryness. If you think you're experiencing drying from your no-lye relaxer it's probably due to calcium buildup. Next wash use a Chelating Shampoo (I like Mizani Chelating and Neutralizing) and then follow it up with a moisturizing DC that contains ceramindes Take your pick from the list of ceramide products/DC below (taken from this thread):

OILS CONTAINING CERAMIDES:

Barley Malt Oil
Eucalyptus Extract
Hemp Seed Oil
Hot 6 Oil *{WGO/3rd ingredient}*(LaFemmeNaturelle)
Kukui Oil
Sunflower Oil
Walnut Oil
Wheat Germ Oil

PRODUCTS CONTAINING CERAMIDES:

Aubrey Organics Products
BPT Wheat Germ Conditioner
Claudie's Hair Revitalizer Growth Elixir (LaidBak)
Claudie's Hair Revitalizer Ends Insurance(LaidBak)
Crece Pelo Leave-In
Creme of Nature (Green Bottle/Old Formula) (Mzsophisticated26)
Garnier Fructis Instant Melting Strength and Repair Masque
Hask Cerafix
Ion Moisturizing Treatment (FlowinLocks)
Jane Carter's Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner
Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Kan Kanechomn Ceramide Deep Conditioning Cream
L'Oreal Elvive Nutri-Ceramide Deep Repair Concentrate
L'Oreal Serle Expert Liss Starter Ionene G + Ceramide Pre-Smoothing Treatment
Lustrasilk Cholesterol(FlowinLocks)
Lustrasilk Shea Butter(FlowinLocks)
Lustrasilk Mango(FlowinLocks)
Matrix Biolage Cera-Repair
Matrix Biolage Fortifying conditioner
Matrix Biolage Cera-Repair Hydratherapie
Miss Key 10 en 1 Conditioner
Mizani Therma Smooth
Nexxus Aloe Rid
Nexxus Botanic Oil Shampoo
Nexxus Headdress
Nexxus Humectress
Nexxus Keraphix
Nexxus Therappe
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Stay Strong Shampoo(NJoy)
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Stay Strong Conditioner (NJoy)
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Leave-in Ultimate Strengthener (NJoy)
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Split End Reconstructor (NJoy)
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Cream Hairdress (NJoy)
Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Therapy Featherlight Hairdress (NJoy)
ORS Hair Mayonaise (New Formula *WGO*) (Sondice)
Proclaim Aloe Hot Oil (FlowinLocks)
Proclaim Natural 7 Oil (FlowinLocks)
Proclaim Natural Olive Oil (FlowinLocks)
Redken Extreme Conditioner
Redken Extreme Rescue Force
Redken Extreme Anti-Snap
Redken 07 (Cutenss)
Salerm Wheat Germ Conditioner
Satinique Products (FlowinLocks)
Sedal Products
Shalmi Vadhera Coconut Alma Revitalizing Hair Treatment (Cutenss)
Shey Butter Oil (Sally's) (Mzsophisticated26)
Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla (Pearl Protein) Leave-In
Silicon Mix Conditioner
Silicon Mix Leave-in
Skala Ceramide 3 Conditioner (Brazilian)
Softsheen Carson Breakthru Anti-Breakage - Protecting Foam
Softsheen Carson Breakthru Anti-Breakage - Fortifying Moisturizing Shampoo
Taliah Waajid Enhancing Herbal Conditioner
TIGI Serious Conditioner (SouthernStunner)

I hope this helps.

I definitely would not do that. I switched from lye to no-lye relaxer last year and was experincing dryness. If you think you're experiencing drying from your no-lye relaxer it's probably due to calcium buildup. Next wash use a Chelating Shampoo (I like Mizani Chelating and Neutralizing) and then follow it up with a moisturizing DC that contains ceramindes Take your pick from the list of ceramide products/DC below (taken from this thread):

I agree with what IntheMix said, it's the calcium buildup and you need to use a Chelating shampoo such as:

Joico Kpac Clarify Chelating Shampoo
Aveda Shampure
ORS Creamy Aloe
Nexxus Aloe Rid

Deep Condition afterwards, and when you relax again if you choose to switch to lye, relax your roots only. Don't process your ends again, and if you're still unhappy with them just clip them off little by little.

The latter.

I missed this. I applied it to the roots only, NOT the ends.
I finally clipped the dry ends off (slowly over the months) and I'm back to normal.

I was using Mizani's nuetralizing and chelating shampoo the entire time I used the No-Lye relaxer and it didn't help the dryness (for me).

Thanks all!! I've clarified several times but haven't tried a chelating shampoo, but I've ordered joico's. I started using jane carter's nourish and shine and that has help a little with the dryness... Next week I plan to use my chelating shampoo and do a protein treatment and the following week i'm going to relax using vitale life and body. So the general consensus is to only relax the roots, dag i was soooo hoping to do a comb through in efforts of regaining the silkiness prior to the no- lye application, but i'll take the advice of you lovely ladies, and not risk an even bigger setback. Hopefully after i relax i'll be able to take and post a pic...

Does anyone else have any input on this subject. I've always been a no-lye girl but I'm thinking about self -relaxing with Mizani Butter Blends rhelaxer. Has anyone had any issues with switching from no-lye to lye?

Does anyone else have any input on this subject. I've always been a no-lye girl but I'm thinking about self -relaxing with Mizani Butter Blends rhelaxer. Has anyone had any issues with switching from no-lye to lye?

When I switched - I went from No-Lye to Lye and just applied it to the roots - I used MBB and this was 2 years ago...I don't think that it is necessary to pull through the ends...it's all in the application.

The only reason I was considering doing a comb through was because my ends and mid- length have areas of under processed sections and its hard to get the comb through so I end up losing a lot of hair.

I was using no lye and switched to Affirm mild, only applied it on the roots and started getting trims, I would say that my hair is almost 100 % lye now.

Interesting about the chelating shampoo :) and the dryness, that was my main concern with no lye.

Off topic but I wrote on my LHCF blog that this Saturday a friend of mine and her friend said they didn't know people still used lye relaxers, had to tell them about the difference and pros and cons. They thought all relaxers are no lye (even when one of them uses affirm too)

I used ORS no lye my first time relaxing July of last yr. I hated it; my hair was a dry mess and my scalp was going crazy. So I researched and decided on Silk Elements Shea Butter Lye Relaxer. I went from root to tip. I processed my roots normal time and the last 3-4 mins I went all the way to the tip. Its been a yr and I love it. No frizz, dryness, or breakage. So far so good.

I switched from no-lye to lye. The first time I used lye, I applied it to my newgrowth only, when I got ready to rinse I ran my hands down the length of my hair to get the relaxer on the previously relaxed with no-lye parts. I let it sit for maybe 2 min. then rinsed and neutralized. My hair came out fine and I'm still using lye relaxers but only applying to my newgrowth.

Can I put a lye relaxer over a no- lye and would that stop the excessive dryness I've been experiencing as a result of the last application of no- lye. My ends are also frizzy and my hair is very matted when wet which I only experienced after my no- lye relaxer, so is it a good idea to do a smooth through about fiv mins before I rinse out?

Get a copy of Cathy Howse's book. She discussed this freely. You can get horrible damage but depends upon how you do it. It's something to consider.

I actually read her book years ago when I began caring for my hair myself, but I don't remember what she said about lye over no- lye. At the time I was focusing on moisturizing and conditioning, too bad I don't know where the book is right now. Now I'm unsure again lol, I think the under processed hair is causing alot of my breakage because its matting and the comb isn't gliding through which is causing my ends to thin sooooo maybe a quick smooth through might not be a bad idea (hopefully.) I'm so pissed one bad relaxer has made my hair a living nightmare, damn dominican essence...

Back