Lye or No Lye! That's the question!

shunta

IMO, lye is better for my hair. It leaves it much softer and silkier, and also not as dry. Ive used Elasta QP, Silk Elements, and Im currently using Elucence. Which are you using?

afrodyt2000

I've used both and prefer lye. When I use no lye my hair is like straw and when I washed my hair it was so tangled and gross. I use Revlon Realistic Mild and have for several years now.

MzRhonda

shunta said:
IMO, lye is better for my hair. It leaves it much softer and silkier, and also not as dry. Ive used Elasta QP, Silk Elements, and Im currently using Elucence. Which are you using?

ITA, I have used both but much prefer lye. I've used Elasta QP and Motions and just used ORS from reviews on this board and that one is a keeper.

bludacious

Lye is better for me... My next relaxer will be the ORS relaxer...The reviews on here sold the product to me...

mrshicks2002

I was told that lye can is better for the hair overall and no-lye is sensitive on the scalp, but can be very drying to the hair.

I will be switching here soon from SE no-lye to ORS lye!

Lye has been much better for me. No-Lye dried out my hair, and caused chronic breakage for years. For the first 5 years that I used a lye relaxer, I had no problems with breakage. Until recently I was using Mizani, which was excellent. Last week, my hairdresser tried Nairobi on my hair ... so far I love it ... though I don't know if it's because of the vitamins I've been taking the last two months, my fine hair seemed to retain a bit more thickness than with the Mizani relaxer. I already knew that other Nairobi products have been great on my hair, and so far the Nairobi is at least as good as the Mizani.

BrooklynSouth

modestyfirst said:
Lye or no Lye which perm is better? Also what brand do you use?

First post by you I've noticed so....Welcome to the board.
I use SILK ELEMENTS MILD LYE. I prefer LYE as it leaves my hair softer, with more moisture, minimal to NO breakage; I bought SHAMBOOSIE's book and he recommends LYE as does the author of DON'T GO SHOPPING FOR HAIRCARE PRODUCTS WITHOUT ME...Paula BEGOUN. My hair was straw like and prone to breakage with no-lye; still lightly dusting to rid my hair of the no-lye ends. My second lye usage at the salon was a disaster with a substitute stylist resulting in serious scalp burns due to inadequate relaxer removal. I now bring all my own products including my shower comb and ISOPLUS color change neutralizer. So...should you choose LYE, make sure the relaxer is completely neutralized. I recommend LYE as being better in the long run.