Looking for a church in NYC

kennypoo315

Hello everyone,

I hope you ladies can make a few suggestions for me. I am fairly new in my walk with God and desperately want to find a church home where I can learn and grow and at some point help others do the same. I just moved here for grad school (Columbia, so somewhere in the Upper Westside would be ideal, but I am more than willing to travel). A church with a women's or young adult ministry would be great. I want a place where I can connect with people. Fellowship is important to me. I attended First Baptist Church of Glenarden in MD before moving here, if anyone is familiar with this church, a similar church would be ideal. I need something real, somewhere where the focus is on building a relationship with God and other christians, not a bunch of religious dictates and laws. I like straight talk that is backed by scripture. This is a bit longer than I expected it would be...Anyhoo, any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you ladies in advance.

Hi Kenny,

When I was attending Columbia I used to attend the Manhattan Grace Tabernacle. They were conveniently located on 113th on Broadway but they've since moved to P.S. 38 at East 103rd St. and Second Ave. They have a website where you can get more information. I now attend their sister church (The Brooklyn Tabernacle) and highly recommend both. I also loved the Times Square Church and highly recommend it too.

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

Hi Kenny,

hen I was attending Columbia I used to attend the Manhattan Grace Tabernacle. They were conveniently located on 113th on Broadway but they've since moved to P.S. 38 at East 103rd St. and Second Ave. They have a website where you can get more information. I now attend their sister church (The Brooklyn Tabernacle) and highly recommend both. I also loved the Times Square Church and highly recommend it too.

I was just talking to my cousin about going to church up there. She is in Brooklyn and her mom's church does not have a youth program. I told her about Brooklyn Tabernacle because a friend of mine mentioned that was her home church. Do they have a youth program---i.e. nursery, children's church, things for children to do besides sit in service and be interuptive? She is embarrased when her kids make noise in service and doesn't go as often as she would like to, but agrees that she needs to get into church and her kids too. Talk to me, I will send her there if they have something that can fit her family.

I was just talking to my cousin about going to church up there. She is in Brooklyn and her mom's church does not have a youth program. I told her about Brooklyn Tabernacle because a friend of mine mentioned that was her home church. Do they have a youth program---i.e. nursery, children's church, things for children to do besides sit in service and be interuptive? She is embarrased when her kids make noise in service and doesn't go as often as she would like to, but agrees that she needs to get into church and her kids too. Talk to me, I will send her there if they have something that can fit her family.

Yes! They have children's church, a nursery, everything! You can also check out their website, they also have a large array of programs for children.

HeChangedMyName

Thanks, I will be sending her to their website---TODAY. Her little family is suffering severly from a lack of spiritual guidance and I can only do so much being that I am all the way in NC. She needs this.

ETA: one more thing. what is the dress code like? The place her mom goes frowns upon women wearing pants and wants the children to be in their Sunday best at all times. My church is thankfully not like this, but she wants a church that will allow her to come as she is---not hoochiefied or anything, but relaxed.

Thanks, I will be sending her to their website---TODAY. Her little family is suffering severly from a lack of spiritual guidance and I can only do so much being that I am all the way in NC. She needs this.

ETA: one more thing. what is the dress code like? The place her mom goes frowns upon women wearing pants and wants the children to be in their Sunday best at all times. My church is thankfully not like this, but she wants a church that will allow her to come as she is---not hoochiefied or anything, but relaxed.

Definitely NOT hoochified. I was raised by a strict Caribbean mom so i don't wear pants to church either, I go in fiull church gear lol. The majority of the people wear church clothes, ladies wear pants too, but the wear majority dresses. I've also seen people in relaxed clothing (jeans etc.). I think it's come as you are (non-hoochie gear), but their seems to be an unspoken rule among the members that you should dress in "church clothes".

kayte

Columbia...I know where you are...The Riverside Church.....is right by Columbia..it's on 122 street off Westend Ave/Riverside..I think ..Ijust googled here's the info

The Riverside Church - Directions And HoursThe Riverside Church is located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side near Columbia ... The church covers a two-block area extending from Riverside Drive to ...
www.theriversidechurchny.org

Also Unity Church is up there Unity Church of NYC at 95th and Broadway at Symphony Space(212) 560-0756

If you ever want to take a subway ride downtown, and go to church with a LCHFsister, in midtown.... pm me! We can go to my church which I love. Very strong women's minstry
and they have a VERY popular young ministry for 20s amd 30's .They also have small groups..I attended the Entrepreneurs group.....and every Sunday ..the 20's and 30's meet for bagles and conversation..and the women's ministry does awesome stuff and is very active governed by a strong body of women of color presided by a woman AA minister..(love her!)
Marble Collegiate if you want to check it out alone
it's on 29th and fifth

Also Times Square Church is supposed to be very good though I have yet to check it out
They Are all a bit different..you 'd have to see which fits

HTH :)
Congrats on Columbia

Last edited:

imani97

Hello everyone,

I hope you ladies can make a few suggestions for me. I am fairly new in my walk with God and desperately want to find a church home where I can learn and grow and at some point help others do the same. I just moved here for grad school (Columbia, so somewhere in the Upper Westside would be ideal, but I am more than willing to travel). A church with a women's or young adult ministry would be great. I want a place where I can connect with people. Fellowship is important to me. I attended First Baptist Church of Glenarden in MD before moving here, if anyone is familiar with this church, a similar church would be ideal. I need something real, somewhere where the focus is on building a relationship with God and other christians, not a bunch of religious dictates and laws. I like straight talk that is backed by scripture. This is a bit longer than I expected it would be...Anyhoo, any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you ladies in advance.

Oh my goodness! I go to Columbia and attended FBG when I lived in NoVa as well. Maybe we can find a church together.

He_Leads_I_follow

Some of these suggested churches in the city are good. I recommend Times Square but NOT the "open-minded" Riverside Church. Here's why...

http://www.theriversidechurchny.org/worship/?guest

Scroll down to their guest preacher for GAY PRIDE DAY on June 29,2008

If you go to this church, you'd be better off at home!

If you ever want to take the train to visit a church in Westchester, PM me.
Shalom

Hair4Care

Hey, thnk you so much Intelligenceisbeautiful (by the way love the red pants) for the church you suggested and thank you Kennypoo315 for asking. You see I have been looking for a good bible base church with solid teaching of God's wod along with fellowsip in the states, although I live in England. I actually didn't know where to go except south in Texas, thanks so much for this suggestion, I think I'll visit it when I visit America, The Brooklyn Tabernacle Church. I doo hope my brothers and sisters there a sincerly friendly 'cause our brothers and sisters in the church that I m attending in the UK a super duper friendly.

Stay Bless

explosiva9

I attend Times Square Church and I love it. Its very relaxed but everytime I go, which is every sunday and tuesdays, God speaks directly to me!

But be prepared to get there early as the seats go fast. and get ready for a very relaxed atmosphere. I'm talking shorts and flip flops as many people walk in right off the street and its in a very touristy location. But even with that, no one talks about it. The worship is good, and the services are good in my opinion.

Before then I lived in Tampa Florida and attended Without Walls pastored by Paula and Randy White. And I feel more comfortable and like Times Square a lot more.

Duchesse

I have never been to Times Sq. church but have always heard good things about it. I'm looking for a church in nyc as well, but most likely will join my mothers church in Queens.

planodiva

Just stuck my head in here to see what you were talking about and lo and behold---my husband and I attend First Baptist of Glenarden---Gotta love John Jenkins.

Hope all goes well with finding a new church home and graduate school!!!!!!

Amerie

Sorry If I am a little late with this. I'm a grad student and live on the UWS, but I am a few hours upstate doing post grad work. I attended Times Square for many years. If you are looking for somewhere to go - they have good worship, Word etc. But it may not be the place if you are looking for membership, accountability etc. as they do not have a membership and it's very large.

There is another church not too far from there - Calvary Baptist on west 57th between 6th and 7th. It's also non-denominational although the name is Baptist. They do have a membership, programs etc. The morning and evening services are contemporary and the middle service (11ish) is more traditional.

Times Square and Brooklyn Tab are probably more energetic and may seem more appealing on the surface if you will, but I really believe in the Church taking care of its members and the body as one and of the three, Calvary fits that bill from what I've seen (and I have had the opportunity to) over the years.

Hope that helps - Godspeed!