Least Damaging: Hot Comb or Flat Iron?

aprilbiz

Since I've bleached my hair out, I now have to find an alternative to relaxers. I'm going to do a lot of doobies, but I'm also looking for something I can do with my new growth, so I"m thinking of pressing or flat ironing the roots.

Which do you Ladies think is the least damaging? Pressing or flat ironing?

candibaby

your hair is relaxed? from what i know nothing good can ever come from using a hot comb on relaxed hair!

i'd say that flat ironing is the least damaging, just make sure you use something to protect your hair while doing so.

inthepink

My personal opinion is that a flat iron is less damaging than a pressing comb. My reasoning is that when you're relaxed, you can use a curling iron without damage (generally speaking, of course) and a flat iron is basically just a flattened out curling iron. But, I would tend to think you would not want to use a pressing comb on relaxed hair since the hair is already more fragile than natural hair. It seems like a pressing comb is coming in contact with too much of the hair...piece by piece b/c of the combs, whereas a flat iron is only flattening down the top portion and bottom portion. That probably makes no sense but it's my 2 cents!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When I was younger, my mom always used a hot comb...I never had any damage from it...she used it very carefully. When I started using a flat iron when I started college and I think it damages because as u use it, you can accidently pull hairs and tear them