Ladies Who Go To The Salon: Please Enter...

How long do you wait to get into the chair to get your hair done?

• Less than 30 minutes

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • 30-1hr

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • 1hr-2hrs

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • 3 or more hours

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im sorry to hear that about your stylist and long wait time. I used to have one (a family member) who thought she could handle me like that. I would call her days in advance and schedule an appointment and she still would have me sit for about an hour and a half.. Thats what made me go elsewhere and i havent looked back, almost 3 yrs later, i have found a great stylist. She is very professional and i go every 2 weeks. I have a standing apppointment at 8am and I dont wait more than 10 minutes...if that..

What does "CP" mean? We simply call it Black Man/Black People's time, because it seems so many of us can never turn up anywhere on time. I hate tardiness personally, I find it rude and disrespectful.

Colored people time=CP time
SOOOOO un-PC but this is term used in my neck of the woods...

What does "CP" mean? We simply call it Black Man/Black People's time, because it seems so many of us can never turn up anywhere on time. I hate tardiness personally, I find it rude and disrespectful.

CP time means colored people's time, lol. Catch all phrase for all people of color who are bad at time management (Hispanics, certain Asian groups, etc.).

Anyways, I go to a Dominican salon and they don't take appts. However, whenever I go during the weekdays I hardly ever, ever, ever have to wait more than 20 minutes for her to start my touch-up (I do everything else at home). Even when I used to go for a wash and set, the shampoo girl would usually take me in the first 20 minutes. If they're very busy on a Saturday, they apologize profusely for the wait. My old Black hairstylist, while nice, was known for having folks in her shop till midnight or so...Can't do it...:nono:

Back in the day when my auntie would do my hair for free... yes, I was sitting around the salon for hours, and she would do my hair in between other people's hair. But she was very timely about doing other people's hair. And like I said, I was getting mine done for free. And this was junior high/high school, I could wait around a few hours.

But um... I wouldn't wait more than 20 minutes for a scheduled appointment where I am paying the stylist. Really more like 15, but I'll give some leeway if it just happened to be that the person ahead of me took a little longer to finish up that expected. That overbooking crap, uh-uh... you scheduled 5 of us here for the same 1 p.m. appointment? Welp it just dropped down to 4.

This is why I cherish my current stylist, even though I rarely go to see her. I show up 10 minutes early and if the chair is open, my appointment begins righ then. She works on my hair - and ONLY my hair - the entire time... shampoo, detangling, blow drying, flat ironing. And she is very outgoing and we have good non-gossipy conversation. I can't go back to that other ish. :lol:

DH waited last night for 4 hours - yes 4 hours!!! And he still came home without his hair being done. Granted, he had no appointment but kept being told "just a few minutes". He gave up and went to his old stylist but that was a disaster since she has a jealous boyfriend who started an argument with her.

He went to his appointment at the new shop this morning (was suppose to open at 8:30) but nobody was there at 9:30 a.m. He left to go an get his son and will try again tomorrow.

Supposedly this new woman takes only 90 minutes but I think that's just the twisting part and not from start to finish. His hair usually takes 3 hours.

Last edited:
Because he really wanted his hair done for Father's Day.

He had no appointment and thought they would "work him in":lachen:
I warned him about that trick. Some shops will take forever, wash your hair and then have you sitting for 30 - 60 minutes for step two. I have walked out with wet hair on a stylist who tried that trick.

If I find myself packing a book, that is a salon that I am not using for long.

^^Why would he sit and wait on somone for 4 hrs? Are you serious?

I remember those days, waiting 2 hours to be seen!! Thats why I learnt to do my hair myself, also that way if anything went wrong I had no one to blame but myself

When i know I gotta get in and wanna get out ASAP, I ask for the first appt of the day. Sometimes she over books so I have to deal with it but she is usually apologetic and if it's too long it may affect her tip.

Part of my reason to go natural. Got tired of waiting in a salon forever and a day just to get in the church. On average at my old stylist, I waited for 1.5 but the most I ever waited was 3 hours. I got there at 9 left after 5:30. If my hair hadn't been looking so rough I would've walked out and did it myself. I love her work but she keeps you in there forever that its ridiculous. You shouldnt give the same people the same time.

Back