ladies how long does it take to flatiron your hair?

stormy07

Ok I love how my hair turned out but it took me 5 freaking hours to flatiron it!!!

so tell me..

1. how long does it take to flatiron your hair?

2. how long is your hair?

3. any shortcuts or tips to share? :grin:

That you see in my sig? 2.5 - 3 hours.
MB + chase the comb + 450 degrees = stick str8 with "swang".

GLAMAZON386-
my hair is your type... umm it only takes any hour to flat iron?! what exactly do you do?! i do not know how to tackle mines... mine is sl also... plz help!

gracias in advance

That you see in my sig? 2.5 - 3 hours.
MB + chase the comb + 450 degrees = stick str8 with " swang".

what is MB?? ..... chase the comb means when you have the comb passing thru ur hair followed by the flat iron?? 450 degreeeeeeeeeees?? lawd... how often do you flat iron?? always? or once in a bluemoon.

tia

Never more than 1.5 hours some times as quick as an hour. My hair is grazing BSL

OP: What the heck are you doing in the 5 hours or are you talking about the whole wash/blowdry/flatiron process?

My hair is SL relaxed and it takes me an hour to flatiron. I separate my hair in 4 sections and start at the back. The only shortcuts I take would be to rollerset first, then flatiron the roots only, which is less time than flatironing from root to tip.

It takes me 2 hours and my hair is MBL. I wish I had some shortcuts to share, but I don't. I'd love to hear some tips though!

GLAMAZON386-
my hair is your type... umm it only takes any hour to flat iron?! what exactly do you do?! i do not know how to tackle mines... mine is sl also... plz help!

gracias in advance

Let it air dry then run through once with the blowdryer. Then I part in 4's and flat iron each section. I don't have a lot of hair though. My hair is thin.

il be able to answer this question this weekend. im takn out braids that ive had for two months.. and flat ironing my transitioning hair for the first time on my own in a long while.. my hair is at a natural state that i gave up n started going to the salon when i wanted to wear my own hair cuz i just couldnt manage. but i currently have no choice cuz im abroad.. n have me myself and i to tackle this challange.
(been transitioning since dec 07)

Why is it taking you all so long to flat iron?
My hair is just shy of WL (hope to be there by Christmas)... and it takes me about 30-40 minutes at the most.

what is MB?? ..... chase the comb means when you have the comb passing thru ur hair followed by the flat iron?? 450 degreeeeeeeeeees?? lawd... how often do you flat iron?? always? or once in a bluemoon.

tia

Moisture block.
Yes.
four hundred fifty!
I flatiron once in a blue moon.
My hair reverted back when I washed thank God :smirk:

Why is it taking you all so long to flat iron?
My hair is just shy of WL (hope to be there by Christmas)... and it takes me about 30-40 minutes at the most.

Im not sure how you flatiron or even if you're relaxed but uh..
Im natural and I take small sections at a time, detangle, apply MB, then chase the comb. Idk, 3 hours.

About 20-40 minutes. It depends on how focus I'm being.
Natural, a little over shoulder length hair.
Giovanni Direct leave-in and Sabino Moisture block
I divide my hair into 4 parts and flat iron each section.

I stopped measuring my hair, I think its BSL.

If I am flatironing to wear it semi-puffy 1 hour w/the Maxiglide
To wear it "straight" it takes 1.5 hours w/the Maxiglide because the plates are large and
2-3 hours if using my 1 inch flat iron

30-45 mins, but my hair is only grazing SL and I have been flat-ironing my own hair for years. I make sure to do small sections.

I used to only use oils like Doo Grow & grease, etc as thermal protectants. I know people say that's bad but it worked for me. Now, however, I used Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk as a leave-in and Chi Silk Infusion for protection.

I learned by watching a really good stylist that I had very carefully. She would also explain her technique to me.

I'm relaxed apl, it takes about 20 minutes, I work in sections from the back of my hair to the sides that's it. for natural hair i can see it taking an hr or so depending on technique.

also about 3 or so go through on each section.

Takes about an hour and a half to 2 hours. I have very thick hair and when the NG kicks in it's a real pain to detangle and straighten the roots. I'm BSL.

1. how long does it take to flatiron your hair?
About an hour nowadays

2. how long is your hair?
approaching MBL

3. any shortcuts or tips to share?
I take larger sections using the flatiron to chase my denman brush

Takes me anywhere between 1 and a half to two hours. My hair is about 3 inches short of APL. How I WISH I had shortcuts to share. I flat iron with extremely small sections because I almost always flat iron only when I have tons of ng. Gonna peep back in this thread for shortcut suggestions.

~30 mins, 370 degrees, solia flatiron. My hair is sl. I've been doing it for so long i feel like i have it down to a science... except my bangs always have drama, lol.

EDIT: Hmm, techniques?
I divide my hair into 5 sections: back/nape, sides, middle back, and front bangs. I take smaller sections within those 5, running a boar bristle brush through each section once before ironing it. I generally only have to do one pass per section.

Last edited:
Never more than 1.5 hours some times as quick as an hour. My hair is grazing BSL

OP: What the heck are you doing in the 5 hours or are you talking about the whole wash/blowdry/flatiron process?

lol ok like there's a couple 2 minute breaks in there but I separate my hair in half, then start at the bottom and flatiron about a one inch section at a time after prepping with my smooth n' shine straightening butter and polish...tha'ts it...:look: but I have to do it slowly and a couple passes otherwise it will make my hair 'straight' but hugely poofy

1. how long does it take to flatiron your hair? 30-40 mins

2. how long is your hair?APL

3. any shortcuts or tips to share?There are a couple ways i do my hair. If I have time, after I wash it I had grape seed oil to my hair and ends. I let my hair dry on its own, then I flat iron. It will take about 40 min then but if i am in a rush i do the same process but after adding the oil i try to get my hair really straight with the blow dryer and a circular ion brush. Then i flat iron, that takes 30 mins or so.

I just texlaxed my hair this morning and it took me 20 mins to just flat iron my hair

Last edited:
Takes me anywhere between 1 and a half to two hours. My hair is about 3 inches short of APL. How I WISH I had shortcuts to share. I flat iron with extremely small sections because I almost always flat iron only when I have tons of ng. Gonna peep back in this thread for shortcut suggestions.

I had to quote this post, because my hair is also 3 inches short of APL. I need a new picture to show length. It takes me (as of last night) 1 hour and 50 minutes. However, I'm texlaxed, not relaxed and I hadn't straightened my hair in 11 weeks. So there was a lot of careful finger detangling to do. Usually if I wash and flat iron it takes one hour and a few minutes.:yep:

I use Paul Mitchell Silky Straight, Chi Silk Infusion and I wash with straightening shampoos and conditoners by Redken. This helps with straightening - normally.

Ok I love how my hair turned out but it took me 5 freaking hours to flatiron it!!!

so tell me..

1. how long does it take to flatiron your hair? Depending how damp it is and how straight i want it. But maybe about 45 minutes with the maxi-glide. It took me a few hours the first time.

2. how long is your hair? WL, but not full WL

3. any shortcuts or tips to share? :grin:
Air dry and put the heat protectant in your hair before it dries. I part in bigger sections now. The maxi-glide makes it soo easy imo.

hmm thanks ten....I have heat protectant in my hair tonite...cuz it has started to revert and get poofy I may try a quick flat ironing tomorrow morning and see how that turns out....but ot: love your siggy your hair is to die for!!! :drool: :notworthy:

Back