La Bella Lots of Curls Styling Gel - Does what it's supposed to do

jada1111

La Bella Lots of Curls Styling Gel (Pink color) reminds me of Eco Krystal styling gel a little bit.

The LB gives you lots of shine, definition and frizz free curls/coils and my hair didn't shrink that much which is a HUGE plus imo. It was also soft, no crunch or hardness and it had "bounce" and movement which I love. The only other product that gives me this is Curls Gel-esc.

For ME, the only problem I have is that if you use too much it can take away the "volume" in your hair and I like VOLUME on the top. I had a hard time fluffing it out and making it bigger as it dried, but I'll figure out away to combat this with more experimentation.

Hey, for $2 and some change it's not a bad deal at all.

Shout out to Sunshine One for hipping me to it! :up:

jada1111

I haven't been able to find this one anymore. I liked it too.

Really? Found it at CVS in the "ethnic" section.

Walgreens is supposed to carry it, but couldn't find it in the one in my neighborhood, which really doesn't mean anything. It's borderline ghetto and predominantly latino, so that ain't sayin' much. There's one in a more "americanized" area that probably will have it.

jada1111

Yup it was in the ethnic section lol

Girl, I almost bypassed it because I never look there! :lachen:

It was basically out of desperation and I couldn't find a salesperson to ask (probably wouldn't have known what I was talking about anyway).

At first I was a little worried, but then said what the hell, if I don't like it I could always return it. CVS was doing a buy one get one at half the price sale, but I was even sure if I'd like it. Kept the receipt just in case.

Sunshine_One

Girl....you ROLL quick with these reviews!!! :lachen: I found mine @ CVS in the "clear" section across from the "ethinic" products. This works good for me @ slicking my hair back into buns and puffs. It also decreases volume. My hair is been a big head of frizz lately...none of my staples are holding up to the humidity. FYI...I have been using this gel in combo with Nature's Blessing hair pomade.

Thanks for the shout out Jada1111!

ETA: Thinking about getting my hair blown out today @ the dm salon. I need a BREAK!:look:

Last edited:

Geminigirl

gosh darn you! And only $2. I am going to cop this soon. Ok I haven't been doing wash and go's with shingling that much anymore cause it was breaking my hair and tangling it up, BUT do you think this would be a good hold for braid outs?

None of my products are withstanding the humidity either which is why I haven't even bothered re braiding my hair up at night..For what?!?

jada1111

gosh darn you! And only $2. I am going to cop this soon. Ok I haven't been doing wash and go's with shingling that much anymore cause it was breaking my hair and tangling it up, BUT do you think this would be a good hold for braid outs?

None of my products are withstanding the humidity either which is why I haven't even bothered re braiding my hair up at night..For what?!?

I would give it a try, for $2 it can't hurt. There is no humidity in Los Angeles, so I can't help you there.

Sunshine_One

Yes it worked well for a braid out for me. I did one early this week. I didn't take any pics. I used it together with the Nature's Blessing pomade.

Also, the name is La Bella Lot's of Curls Gel (pink)

HTH

Geminigirl

Yes that does help. The nature's blessing is a natural grease right? I will figure something out cause I would love defined chunky braidouts with no frizz or loss of definition within hours.

Sunshine_One

Yes that does help. The nature's blessing is a natural grease right? I will figure something out cause I would love defined chunky braidouts with no frizz or loss of definition within hours.

Yes I call it semi-natural hair grease. :grin: It does contain mineral jelly aka mineral oil. It's listed as the last ingredient. A lil mineral does not bother my hair. As long mineral oil is not the MAIN ingredient in a product I'm cool. Well with exception of the current fomula of Miss Jessies products. I do use the Curly pudding on occasion. I still have few of the old formulation of MJ and I still use those...most of which did NOT contain mineral oil.

I also want to say that I believe "how" you apply your prodcuts/oils makes a HUGE difference on how the hair will react to it. For ME...I ALWAYS use natural oils in my hair 1st. I currently add my oils *(evoo, evco, org sunflower) to my deep conditioners...this way my hair is getting the "good" stuff 1st. So if I decide to use a styling product that contains something like mineral oil that I know will only sit on top of the hair shaft....I have no ill efects. The mineral oil in the product seals all the good oils I've already applied to my hair. Again this how it works for ME.

*I only use one oil per DC session.

HTH

ETA: Nature's Blessing ingredients:

Nettle, Rosemary, Sage, Peppermin, Thyme, Alfalfa, Pure Virgin Olive Oil, Pure Coconut Oil, Sage Oil, Rosemary Oil, Bergamot Oil, Chlorophyll (from nettle and spinach), Pure Mineral Jelly, Natural Fragrance and Good Intention.

Last edited:

CofCGrad1997

Hi,

I bought some of this earlier this week, and I wanted ask the OP about her experience with it.

I'm relaxed (almost 9 weeks post), and I bought this to use for my WNGs. I love how it defines my curls, but it leaves my hair flatter than I'd like -- no volume at all. I haven't been able to fluff it up and make it bigger no matter what I do.

I read where you had the same experience, but I wanted to see if you've found a work around as you've continued to use the product. Have you had any luck fluffing out your curls and giving them more volume? Is there a product combination I should try? I've been using mostly the La Bella with a little bit of HE LTR.

Thanks!

jada1111

Hi,

I bought some of this earlier this week, and I wanted ask the OP about her experience with it.

I'm relaxed (almost 9 weeks post), and I bought this to use for my WNGs. I love how it defines my curls, but it leaves my hair flatter than I'd like -- no volume at all. I haven't been able to fluff it up and make it bigger no matter what I do.

I read where you had the same experience, but I wanted to see if you've found a work around as you've continued to use the product. Have you had any luck fluffing out your curls and giving them more volume? Is there a product combination I should try? I've been using mostly the La Bella with a little bit of HE LTR.

Thanks!

No CofCGrad, I haven't used it since that first time. The taking away the volume thing really bothers me which is why I stopped using Eco Krystal Clear. It did the same thing no matter how much I used and left my hair crunchy.

I don't know when I'll use it again, because I don't feel like fussing with my hair right now. Everything else I use works properly, so I'll just concentrate on using what I have until I feel like experimenting again.

But when I do use it again, I plan on using a teensy, weensy amount on those top sections of my hair where I need it to get big, but control frizz somewhat. I'll see how it turns out later.

Geminigirl

Oh I got some of this last night. I oiled my hair and then Cowashed with loreal Vive or whatever the pink kind. Then I rinsed and appliced JBCO to each section and a tiny bit of gel. my hair feels very soft and the hair is defined. Now I just have to see how it holds up in the heat and humidity. I love this gel so far.

When I put it on I used my knock off denman. I can tell it would really define my coils something fierce.

Geminigirl

Ok I love this gel. The shine and defintion it gives to my braid outs is amazing. I also want to try this gel with a WnG. Thanks so much OP!

Geminigirl

Try it. It does look like the clear people's gel that makes your hair hard and dry but right now I'ma say it's better then my ECO...ONLY because I could never do braidouts with ECO because it's so heavy and thick. this gel is lighter and the shine is amazing!

glamazon386

Try it. It does look like the clear people's gel that makes your hair hard and dry but right now I'ma say it's better then my ECO...ONLY because I could never do braidouts with ECO because it's so heavy and thick. this gel is lighter and the shine is amazing!

That's exactly what I was thinking it would do. I'll pick some up from the grocery store.