Kinky Curly Question...

glamazon386

Ladies who use the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (and the Knot Today) how do you usually use it? What are your steps? I can't seem to get the right combo/technique down. I've been applying the Knot Today first and then the KCCC. I've watched videos on Youtube and tried raking it through with my fingers, using a denman brush and using a small comb in sections but it never looks right to me. I always end up pulling it back. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Also, has anybody ever used it for anything other than a wash and go? Maybe a twist out, rod set, etc.? If I can't wash and go with it, I'd at least like to be able to use it for something else since both products together cost me $40+ plus a drive. That was originally why I purchased it. I was looking for some type of gel with hold minus the flaking and crunchy feeling. TIA...

MissBCurly

I use mine to shingle.

I originally didnt like using the two together. I used the Organics shea butter leave in with the KCCC and I did that with my TWA and i loved it now that my hair has grown I dont the kids organic just provide enuff shrinkage. I use the knot today and KCCC together and it gives me the shrinkage and hold for the style that Im usually going for when I wear my hair out like in the pic that I attached. and to get that I use the miss jessies method of shingling I just apply it diffferently I apply knot today to small sections comb through and then I apply the kccc comb thru and smooth with fingers and continue till i reach the top of my head.

glamazon386

I use mine to shingle.

I originally didnt like using the two together. I used the Organics shea butter leave in with the KCCC and I did that with my TWA and i loved it now that my hair has grown I dont the kids organic just provide enuff shrinkage. I use the knot today and KCCC together and it gives me the shrinkage and hold for the style that Im usually going for when I wear my hair out like in the pic that I attached. and to get that I use the miss jessies method of shingling I just apply it diffferently I apply knot today to small sections comb through and then I apply the kccc comb thru and smooth with fingers and continue till i reach the top of my head.

Pretty! It's giving me a lot of shrinkage too. More than I usually get with Fantasia IC. But for some reason the IC hasn't been agreeing with my hair lately. And it seems like whenever I use a denman brush on wet hair it makes my hair shrink even more. When I tried shingling it seemed like it shrunk more instead of hanging down. I saw a few people with videos on You Tube and it kind of made their hair hang and look more smooth but mine just didn't look right. And then people were saying they could get a week out of the style. I wasn't trying to go out the house looking like that. So I just pulled it back and ended up with a wet bun til it dried. :ohwell: I can't figure it out.

What size comb do you use? And do you use small sections?

gmw

Yeah KCCC can be kind of spotty with results. I find that I get good twist outs with it, if it is the only product I use in my hair after washing. Nothing deep either, I can come from a co-wash, doesn't have to be shampooed.

I found that St8isis has a really good tutorial on KCCC. I use her method.

I haven't gotten down how to use it as part of my wng routine, but I keep trying. I think less is better though.

I get a lot of shrinkage with this, but it really just comes with the territory specifically with my hair. It is shrink city.

JinaRicci

I love KCCC! The knot today- not so much- I found it added too much goo to my hair. I've played around with different ways so here is how I use it- my best method- hope it's helpful.

1. Apply EVCO to soaking wet hair
2. Detangle into sections (about 14 for me; EVCO by itself detangles easily)
3. Blowdry each section on cool (to reduce shrinkage and increase body)
4. Starting with the nape, apply quarter-sized amounts of KCCC to small- 1 inch thick sections of hair. Coat the entire strand or just the bottom half if you want to minimize shrinkage. Coat front and back of hair- trick is to use small amts so that it dissolves. If I don't do that then I end up with white stuff in my hair.
5. Complete your entire head- whole thing takes maybe 15- 20 mins max. Fluff with fingers- you can brush if you like but I prefer puffy hair and this product will make your hair hang.
6. On days 2-7, mist hair in shower, fluff with fingers and go (takes 5 mins).
7. Watchouts: if I use too much product, I end up with goo that I have to remove once my hair is completely dry. Otherwise, I love the stuff. :grin:

glamazon386

Yeah KCCC can be kind of spotty with results. I find that I get good twist outs with it, if it is the only product I use in my hair after washing. Nothing deep either, I can come from a co-wash, doesn't have to be shampooed.

I found that St8isis has a really good tutorial on KCCC. I use her method.

I haven't gotten down how to use it as part of my wng routine, but I keep trying. I think less is better though.

I get a lot of shrinkage with this, but it really just comes with the territory specifically with my hair. It is shrink city.

I tried hers and I ended up with goopy sticky hair. Maybe I used too much? I'm going to try it with a twist out today and see how it turns out. Does your hair take a long time to dry with the KCCC?

glamazon386

I love KCCC! The knot today- not so much- I found it added too much goo to my hair. I've played around with different ways so here is how I use it- my best method- hope it's helpful.

1. Apply EVCO to soaking wet hair
2. Detangle into sections (about 14 for me; EVCO by itself detangles easily)
3. Blowdry each section on cool (to reduce shrinkage and increase body)
4. Starting with the nape, apply quarter-sized amounts of KCCC to small- 1 inch thick sections of hair. Coat the entire strand or just the bottom half if you want to minimize shrinkage. Coat front and back of hair- trick is to use small amts so that it dissolves. If I don't do that then I end up with white stuff in my hair.
5. Complete your entire head- whole thing takes maybe 15- 20 mins max. Fluff with fingers- you can brush if you like but I prefer puffy hair and this product will make your hair hang.
6. On days 2-7, mist hair in shower, fluff with fingers and go (takes 5 mins).
7. Watchouts: if I use too much product, I end up with goo that I have to remove once my hair is completely dry. Otherwise, I love the stuff. :grin:

That's exactly what my hair felt like - gooey. But it didn't look like it was coated enough so I added more product. Maybe I'm using too much. So the only leave in you use is the EVCO? I'm assuming that's Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

JinaRicci

That's exactly what my hair felt like - gooey. But it didn't look like it was coated enough so I added more product. Maybe I'm using too much. So the only leave in you use is the EVCO? I'm assuming that's Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

Yes- that's the only leave-in I use. Sometimes it may not seem like it's coated enough but to me it's because it might take a minute to saturate and curl up. So when I first apply it, my hair is longer and just kinds of hang but as I move on to different sections, it gradually starts curling up. That's because my hair is dry... If your hair is wet, it might take less time.

MissBCurly

Pretty! It's giving me a lot of shrinkage too. More than I usually get with Fantasia IC. But for some reason the IC hasn't been agreeing with my hair lately. And it seems like whenever I use a denman brush on wet hair it makes my hair shrink even more. When I tried shingling it seemed like it shrunk more instead of hanging down. I saw a few people with videos on You Tube and it kind of made their hair hang and look more smooth but mine just didn't look right. And then people were saying they could get a week out of the style. I wasn't trying to go out the house looking like that. So I just pulled it back and ended up with a wet bun til it dried. :ohwell: I can't figure it out.

What size comb do you use? And do you use small sections?

sorry im just responding i had to go to class.
Thank you.
But I havent tried the IC so I cant compare. But I do use a fine tooth comb, and I do small sections. I find when I use the denman brush my curls clump oddly? and I just don't like how it looks. I cant get a week out of the style the first 2-3 days I just spritz with water and run my hand down it not thru my curls because it makes it frizz. and the last few days or until wash day I wear it in a ponytail or high puff. I also noticed that I like it better when I a) sit under a dryer to dry or air dry outside WHEN ITS HOT LIKE TODAY b) use the kinky curly pomade it takes that hard feeling out of my hair and makes it feel soft.

MissBCurly

Great thread!

Can you all post your hair types in your responses? I am afraid this won't do for my hair type

I wish I could but to be honest I DONT know my texture; it doesnt bother me.
but if it helps IM TOLD that Im 3b in the center of my head 3c everywhere else and 4a in the back

NubianCurls

Hey ladies,

At the moment am using KCCC and knot today and so far am liking it and waiting to finish the bottle so I can start reviewing mixed chicks. Anyways my hair type I'd say 3bc and some 4a/3c at the sides. I find that applying KCC n the knot today is best done at the shower as I use it for wash n go.

After my co-wash, I add knot today into my hair and run my fingers through then I put my head under the shower for less then a sec. then I run my fingers some more and apply KCCC to my hair then run my finger through my hair and go under the shower for less then a second again/ run my fingers through and squeeze excess water and leave my hair for air dry. During air drying I try my best not to touch my hair. The end result is soft curls and waves not sticky :D

I hope this helped.

Last edited:

alanaj

The first time I used it I did a wash and go, but my hair is so thick that once the shrinkage set in there was absolutely no curl definition. So the next day I decided to twist my hair. It was ok for twisting, it made my hair feel a lil bit hard but I rinsed it after the second day and my twists were pretty nice. However, it made my twists shrink up way more than usual. like to half their normal size when dry

Carrie A

I'm not really feeling it. My hair shrinks up and is too gooey. The next day it's crunchy. My hair looks the same with a little conditioner or coconut oil so I'm not sure what extra KCCC is doing. I'm stuck with a whole vat and I don't know how else to use it either.

Knot Today on the other hand I still love. It has so much slip and has cut down on detangling time. I stretch it by putting V05 on the hair first and letting it sit/ steam. That loosens the tangles. Then I add the KT for the final detangling session.

melbatoast

I have appx 7 inches of 4b hair. WNG are not an option for me and I don't have the type of hair that canbe raked with gel in the shower and I emerge with soft curly ringlets. I love KCCC and I don't know if the method will work for all 4bs but here goes...I use only the KCCC product line when I am using the custard. Here are some suggestions if you don't have the whole line. Make sure that your shampoo or cowash is free of oils and make sure that it removes oils and product build up from your hair. You may want to follow-up with an ACV rinse. Make sure you do a cool rinse. Do not towel dry your hair. Mine is sopping wet and I have spray bottle because my hair will easily soak that up. Put in a creamy oil free conditioner in you hair before you add the custard. This is not a necessary step but it helps with detangling. I don't use a lot of conditioner 1-2 tsps will do. Now here's the tricky part...how much custard to use. I use appx a palm full for my whole head because I have very tightly coiled hair. Then I take I wide tooth comb and add 15-20 twist to my hair. As I twist my hair I may add a small amount of KCCC to each section. I want to make sure I feel that slip from root to end. All the while make sure the hair stays sopping wet. When the twist are done ring out any excess product. Smooth your edges with fingers. Wrap hair with a scarf and allow it to air dry (for me appx 12 hrs). You can speed it along with a hair dryer. When the hair is TOTALLY dry. Unravel your twist. Fluff. I guarantee you will have some kinky coils or some kind of definition. When it's twisted it will just look like some dry twist but I always have nice shiny kinky coily twistout. Keep the manipulation down and put some fat twist in at night and it will last a few days. I hope this helps someone... please forgive the typos

momi

Ladies who use the Kinky Curly Curling Custard (and the Knot Today) how do you usually use it? What are your steps? I can't seem to get the right combo/technique down. I've been applying the Knot Today first and then the KCCC. I've watched videos on Youtube and tried raking it through with my fingers, using a denman brush and using a small comb in sections but it never looks right to me. I always end up pulling it back. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Also, has anybody ever used it for anything other than a wash and go? Maybe a twist out, rod set, etc.? If I can't wash and go with it, I'd at least like to be able to use it for something else since both products together cost me $40+ plus a drive. That was originally why I purchased it. I was looking for some type of gel with hold minus the flaking and crunchy feeling. TIA...

I would co-wash, leave about 15% of conditioner in, add knot today from roots to tip - then I would apply KCCC to fairly large sections - get back in the shower (no water running) and shake like I had never shaken before.

This is the best curl defining product I have ever used. I no longer use it though.... I am good to go with conditioner and a little leave in.

glamazon386

I ended up doing twists and now it's drying. Hopefully it'll be dry by the morning. Thanks ladies for your answers. I'll try the wash and go again next go round.

nakialovesshoes

I used to love KCCC when I was natural. I have all kinds of textures going on in my hair from 3ish to 4a to 4z. I went to a natural hair salon here & was given a lesson on how to use it.

1st & 4most, if you use 2 much, your hair will definitely be sticky. If you don't use a good leave-in underneath, your hair will be crunchy. Also, I was told to keep the hair soaking wet while styling as someone else mentioned in this thread.

So I would wash/cond my hair & then section by section, I would apply a leave-in (the salon used Hair Rules - YUCK) but I used Giovanni & then a little bit of KCCC to the hair.

I was told to not only spray the hair before (if the section wasn't wet to begin with) but to also spray the section after applying the KCCC to somewhat dilute the product as well as stretch it down the length of the hair.

As for shrinkage - if I had a whole lot & I do mean a whole lot of time, I would actually stretch each section with the blowdryer on low heat but this truly took forever.

If I didn't have time, I would just wait until I was finished with my entire head & then do the stretching with the blowdryer. Of course my best results came from the method above.

If I was just plain lazy, I would allow it to shrink up & air dry. But I really didn't care for that look.

As for maintenance, I was told to get n the shower sans a showercap & right before getting out to duck my head under the shower quick enough to just spray the hair b/c water somewhat reactivates the product. I guess a spray bottle could work, too. After getting out of the shower I would use a small amount of moisturizer.

HTH...

Leeda.the.Paladin

I love KCCC, it's on of my staples.

Depending on how I want my hair to look, I can either use a lot or a little. Mostly, after fingercombing with leave in conditioner in my hair, I just dip my fingers in the KCCC jar and then fingercomb it into my hair, repeat until I've gotten full coverage.

Other times I just scoop up some with my fingertips and apply it to sections from back to front.

Chameleonchick

For my son this stuff works wonders. It gives him that swimmers look all day long and we can refresh it for up to two days. When his hair is mostly wet I first spray a little HS14in1 the apply a golf ball size of KCCC throughout his hair with my fingers. If we have time I use the shower comb. Then I have to tell him not to play too rough or his hair will get messed up(he's three).

gmw

I tried hers and I ended up with goopy sticky hair. Maybe I used too much? I'm going to try it with a twist out today and see how it turns out. Does your hair take a long time to dry with the KCCC?

Yes definitely. However once it is done I do not rewet it. I just put some moisturizer on it and KIM.

The next time I did it I used less, and got better results.

glamazon386

Okay so my twistout turned out crappy. I'm convinced that my hair just does not like this stuff. I've been through half of both products and still have not gotten one style that looked decent enough to wear out the house. I'm gonna leave it alone for now.

in your sig pic your hair looks like you have a nice curl pattern that would wokr well with KCCC. I jsut got mine last week and loved it. I used A TON of the KCKT. I put a light coat all over my hair to keep it some what moist as i work throught the setions. so i soak up the water with a towel and respray each section with fairly hot water; apply KCKT about a quater size sometimes more and then i apply KCCC. now, i had heard not to use a lot so I was VERY careful. i just took a very very small amount of KCCC, about half a dime size, really. Mind you my hair was SATURATED in KCKT. as i put the kccc on i noticed it kind of had a reaction with the KCKT and would start to stiffen up a little. this is how i knew i had enough. once my whole head was complete i spritzed it with warm water and shook out my curls over and over again for about 2 hours then i diffussed and the results were awesome
very defined, frizz free, and MOISTURIZED LIKE CRAZY! I think we they say a lot off knot today they mean it. Iv also tried using elucence moisture balance conditioner in the same way and the results were about the same.
I hade no goopy, sticky feel except where i applied a lot for my cornrows in the front. Bad idea.

The next day i sprayed some water to refresh it and this helped fluff it out a bit because it was really weighed down. But when i tried that again it started to get frizzy so i may buy the spiral spritz or try using more KCCC but i like the way it turns out now... :drunk: HTH!

NerdSauce

I found in shingling my hair as well as my cousin's hair (she's a little closer to 3c whereas I'm more or less 4a) that since things can get kind of sticky with the KCCC for me the key was really wet hair. With my cousin it was super easy, mostly i just needed water and then a tiny bit of the KCCC, especially in the looser (like 3a) parts of her hair.

For me my texture is a bit tighter, and at my length i've never really gotten satisfactory results with the brush through method ( don't have a denman or anything). When I want what is basically a fro with curlies popping up everywhere I scrunch in conditioner in the shower and then scrunch in whatever product i'm using for hold, lightly, and leave it at that. This works best when I use a comb as little as possible. The more consecutive days I go comb-less, the better it looks. When I want a really defined shingle I smooth whatever holding product I'm using be it KCCC, Lustrasilk, or some random gel through my hair in sections, like the tightly curly method. I squish, then pull out smaller chunks to define. And I go gradually smaller to try to encourage bigger clumps.

sky_blu

Just bought KT and KCCC and right now Im not satisfied but Im going to give it another try. It was really sticky and took awhile to dry for me. BTW I only tried it on one section of my hair and it didn't give me anymore curl definition (which I dont think I have :ohwell: ) then using a leave in and some shea butter.

glamazon386

Just bought KT and KCCC and right now Im not satisfied but Im going to give it another try. It was really sticky and took awhile to dry for me. BTW I only tried it on one section of my hair and it didn't give me anymore curl definition (which I dont think I have :ohwell: ) then using a leave in and some shea butter.

I had the same issue. I'm going to try to use it for a roller set or something. But I'm convinced my hair just doesn't like this stuff. It didn't like Curly Pudding or Meringue for wash and go hair either.