Keeping Your Hairline With a Weave... Possible?

Nazaneen

i feel as though i've asked this before but I don't remember the answer.
My hair frustrates me to no end in the warmer weather beacause straightening isn't really an option and wearing it curly means i need to load it with gel and i'm still unhappy with it.
I wish i could just not deal with my hair sometimes.
I would never consider a full sewn in weave because i'm much too scared of losing my hairline. I wore tracks sewn in for years ( with all my hair left out in between and on top) after a bad hair cut when i was 16 and after a while even though the braids never came to the front of my hairline I still had tiny areas of traction alopecia which thank goodness were not permanent.
this is similar to how mine were done... away from the hairline but the edges of the braided areas still has a lot of tension.

Is there a way of wearing a sew in that is safe to the edges or do i need to leave well enough alone.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
It can be done. I did it and i have very thin fragile hair and a fragile hairline.

BUT You HAVE to make it a priority to find a stylist that WILL NOT braid your hair too tight.

That's the only way. If those braids are tight you will experience hair loss.

Another good idea is to not let them braid your hairline.

If the braids are feeling tight, get up and walk out.

Last edited:

GeorginaSparks

i feel as though i've asked this before but I don't remember the answer.
My hair frustrates me to no end in the warmer weather beacause straightening isn't really an option and wearing it curly means i need to load it with gel and i'm still unhappy with it.
I wish i could just not deal with my hair sometimes.
I would never consider a full sewn in weave because i'm much too scared of losing my hairline. I wore tracks sewn in for years ( with all my hair left out in between and on top) after a bad hair cut when i was 16 and after a while even though the braids never came to the front of my hairline I still had tiny areas of traction alopecia which thank goodness were not permanent.
this is similar to how mine were done... away from the hairline but the edges of the braided areas still has a lot of tension.

Is there a way of wearing a sew in that is safe to the edges or do i need to leave well enough alone.

its possible but find a stylist that wont braid too tight. do your research and look for before and after pics. if her clients dont have hairlines, you dont need them to touch your hair. :lol:

melahnee

I can't speak for everyone, but I wore weaves for a long time with very little to no breaks, with nothing but the top left out like a u-part wig, and my edges have never suffered. I have 3Bish hair if that makes any difference at all.

ms.blue

For me, my edges/hairline suffered when I had my hairline braided up. Since last yr, I always have my edges left out but I always made sure to moisturize my hairline and since I didn't really care for the slick edges look...I would flat twist my hairline w/my extensions to pin up. Doing that is why my hairline is the same length as the rest of my hair.

HairBarbie

I learned how to do my own sew ins for this very reason. The main thing is not to braid the cornrows with extensions and also don't braid the hair too tight.

naturalmanenyc

If you allow your edges to be braided like this, you will have no hairline. This goes for sew ins and braided extensions.

2013-07-21 20.35.26-1.png

She told the braider not to braid the edges but it happened anyway.

Nazaneen

what about with "u part wigs"?
do those damage the hairline?

eta: nvm i dont want a wig lol. i want to try an almost full weave. i think i will soon but ill be very firm about not getting my edges braided. ill report back if i do it lol.
.... said the Phablet

Last edited:

Nazaneen

I can't speak for everyone, but I wore weaves for a long time with very little to no breaks, with nothing but the top left out like a u-part wig, and my edges have never suffered. I have 3Bish hair if that makes any difference at all.

im also 3b melahnee
did you have any issues with matching your hair to the weave?

when i first got extensions at 16 i used milky way european straight with all my hair left out lmao. it must have been soo mismatched at first when the hair was all silky. my head looked soooooooo big!! My dominican hairdresser did not know how to do weaves properly.

.... said the Phablet

melahnee

im also 3b @melahnee
did you have any issues with matching your hair to the weave?

when i first got extensions at 16 i used milky way european straight with all my hair left out lmao. it must have been soo mismatched at first when the hair was all silky. my head looked soooooooo big!! My dominican hairdresser did not know how to do weaves properly.

.... said the Phablet

honestly I didn't have issues matching my hair to the weave at all texture-wise, only slightly color-wise lmao. People always thought it was all my hair :p I also have fine-ish hair(picture of scalp/edge attached. I used to have a better pic of my edges but I can't find it right now :sad: I'll dig it up if you really want to see though).

also my head always looks a little bigger with a weave hahaha, especially after I have 1/2" or more of new growth -.- but they are soo worth it-- so easy to take care of while your hair is thriving underneath. This is my personal experience! Weaves have always been lovely to my hair, even after... *gulp* leaving it in for as long as three months :blush: I'm totally not recommending it because I know some people just cannot go that long.

Attachments

• hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 32