i've realized i don't need a huge regimen to have healthy hair

isawstars

My first year at college (last year) I moved into a dorm with a HUGE box of hair products. My regimen was about 3 hours long... no lie. Now this year... I've gotten lazy. I don't even remember the last time i DCed my hair or used a hot oil treatment but my hair continues to get noticably longer.

My hair regimen is now 30 minutes when I don't flat iron (just blow dry). I no longer... DC, oil my scalp, use hot oil treatments, do pre-poo, use cholesterol, use the baggie method, etc. And my hair is still doing doing as well as it was last year!

Has anyone else simplified their regimen? I've saved a lot of time and money because of it. I'll be sure to post new pictures in my fotki when i go home for thanksgiving break.

It doesn't take a long regimen to have healthy hair. I try to make the process as short as possible, and my hair still seems to be pretty healthy. I remember the days when it took me forever. Hmph. Not any more. :lol:

Mine is simple because it has to be. I just don't have time.

But, I MUST deep condition. I can skip it for a little while, but my hair stay moisturized longer when I add that extra 15 min. in under the dryer.

Also, since I air dry, my regimen seems long, but I normally study, do laundry or read the mail or something while my hair is drying.

For me, cutting out massive product use has simplified things and my hair is better for it. I just have to deep condition, though.

I am like that also. My hair grows well with little stuff. I went from above shoulder length to APL and I never moisturized daily. And I mean never. I washed and conditioned regularly and that was it.

But I want to try moisturizing and some of the tips on here and see if my hair can be a little more healthy, though.

I have a very simple daily regimen. I cowash and put in leave in conditioner. Occasionally I use natural butters. Every other week I use henna. I try to keep things as simple as possible. If I use too much product my hair gets dry and tangly.

hehe same here. first year of college, which is right now, and my products are not many... even though I feel like I need to brace myself for winter. I am in Boston.

I use Sunsilk HydraTLC, the shampoo, con, and deep con
Garnier Fructis leave-in for color-treated/permed hair
Motions Oil moisturizer
AO GPB for protein con
Suave Clarifying shampoo

that is all. Wash, condition, oil, airdry. I am a little past 11 weeks post and it's just now that my hair is giving me a little trouble... b/c i don't want to comb it:look: and it was pretty cold last week

for the winter though, I will have to be careful... so I may change/add a few things, like some type of oil for my scalp, and re-introduce rusk smoother and nexxus headress or Giovanni direct, and I will add in a hot oil treatment.

HoneyDew said:
Mine is simple because it has to be. I just don't have time.

But, I MUST deep condition. I can skip it for a little while, but my hair stay moisturized longer when I add that extra 15 min. in under the dryer.

Also, since I air dry, my regimen seems long, but I normally study, do laundry or read the mail or something while my hair is drying.

For me, cutting out massive product use has simplified things and my hair is better for it. I just have to deep condition, though.

I agree, I think many steps can be cut if there is a time crunch and you are not battling breakage or dryness, but I think deep conditioning is the primary step that is important for a healthy hair regime (for me).

My regimen is pretty simple, I just have a lot of products right now! But I'm trying out a few things, and I'm getting to the point where I can settle on my HGs.

Shampoo 1x week
Cowash 1x week
Clarify when needed
Airdry or partially dry under hooded dryer
Deep condition 1x week (though I'm experimenting w/DC after my midweek cowash)
Moisturize 2x daily (spray some of my S-Curl/oil mix in my hand and smooth through my hair)
Protective styles (I was doing those anyway before LHCF, because I didn't like the way my hair looked "down")
Baggie on occasion

Like I said, once I narrow down my products, I'm all set.:thumbsup:

My hair loves pre-poos (with oil or conditioner) more than DC'g after poo'g. Almost everything else in my regime (except henna) is negotiable. :yep:

Same with me. When I started out, I had a million products and washed my hair daily, sometimes twice a day, deep conditioned every other day and oiled my scalp three times a week. Now I just deep condition weekly and moisturize daily. I only clarify when necessary (maybe once a month).

i think if we remember how simple the regimen was when our mothers were doing our hair and our hair still grew and was healthy...the only difference was that because as a child my hair was so long and somewhat thick because it was all natural my mom wouldnt really wash my hair as much(probably twice every month)...she probably would grease my scalp once a week....thats the only thing i wouldnt really do is to grease my scalp with heavy grease....but i keep my hair moisturized....and i wash at least every 4 days and deep condition, then air dry and apply some oil or moisturizers(everyday)....

I have def simplified my regimine and its easier for me.

Co-wash-daily or every other day apply leave or moisturizer and seal
Clarify 2 or 3 times a month
Deep condition weekly or every other week
Pre/poo with hot oil every other week

CarLiTa said:
hehe same here. first year of college, which is right now, and my products are not many... even though I feel like I need to brace myself for winter. I am in Boston.

I use Sunsilk HydraTLC, the shampoo, con, and deep con
Garnier Fructis leave-in for color-treated/permed hair
Motions Oil moisturizer
AO GPB for protein con
Suave Clarifying shampoo

that is all. Wash, condition, oil, airdry. I am a little past 11 weeks post and it's just now that my hair is giving me a little trouble... b/c i don't want to comb it:look: and it was pretty cold last week

for the winter though, I will have to be careful... so I may change/add a few things, like some type of oil for my scalp, and re-introduce rusk smoother and nexxus headress or Giovanni direct, and I will add in a hot oil treatment.

I'm in my third year and after recovering from PJism freshmen year, I now have my product staples and regimen that is simple and fast. I'm in Indiana so for winter I'm using avocado butter as my leave in to protect my hair.

bluediamond0829 said:
i think if we remember how simple the regimen was when our mothers were doing our hair and our hair still grew and was healthy...the only difference was that because as a child my hair was so long and somewhat thick because it was all natural my mom wouldnt really wash my hair as much(probably twice every month)...she probably would grease my scalp once a week....thats the only thing i wouldnt really do is to grease my scalp with heavy grease....but i keep my hair moisturized....and i wash at least every 4 days and deep condition, then air dry and apply some oil or moisturizers(everyday)....

I totally agree. I guess you can say I went back to what my mama taught me only with better products. I wash only twice a month and I do grease my scalp just with WGO.

I am slowing down my PJism and along with that I realize I don't need a lot of products to make my hair happy/healthy. I am basically going through everything and getting rid of what I don't need to make life simple.

CongGrads !!! I just started a simple regimen again, I will see how it goes, but I do not see myself being able to spend that much time on my hair less its braids or press.

Another college girl checking in! I was the same my first two years at University with a boxload of products, I was also relaxed then, so to keep my hair in the style I wanted it did require a few more things.

Now I'm down to washing or cowashing twice a week. Spraying my wet hair with some SSF and I really don't add any products at all after that. Oh, but sometime I'll use a butter if my twists won't hold.

sareca said:
My hair loves pre-poos (with oil or conditioner) more than DC'g after poo'g. Almost everything else in my regime (except henna) is negotiable. :yep:
Alma Oil PrePoo is my "Baby Daddy" to quote another member! :lol:

I wash, condition, blow dry and flat iron every two weeks :lol: might use a set of curlers to give me a little flair, but thats what Im down to right now, my son will allow nothing more than that.. :lol:

I think mine is pretty simple:

Wash
Deep Condition
Rollerset

Dont pre-poo, or cowash. Its working because Im seeing significant growth.:D

My routine is pretty simple also. Pre-poo every other day for a few hours, deep condition with heat twice a week and moisturize daily. I'm still a PJ, but that's okay because I usually just keep stockpiling stuff I already love.

how much is too much? I wash 1x wk. moisturize daily deep condition 1x wk after wash put in leave ins and air dry. No co wash or pre poo

Yep, I agree. I've gone back to the basics with hair and skin. Now I just use a shampoo bar, a chair masque and my shea butter mix.

Shea said:
how much is too much? I wash 1x wk. moisturize daily deep condition 1x wk after wash put in leave ins and air dry. No co wash or pre poo

that doesnt dound like too much. that's what i do to my hair also.

you're right--U don't really have to have some long regimen.

mine is simple, and it changes to suit my needs. Right now it's :

CO wash every 2 days and shampoo/deep condition every week.

I use moisturizers and natural oils to keep my hair soft.

Sorry yall...I just gotta laugh :lol:

Some the regimens that yall just posted do not sound simple at all to me....To each their own though...;)

Simplicity is relative...

I keep my regimen as short and simple as POSSIBLE, I dont have a lot of time and patience, so simplicity is key and it works WONDERS for me, keep it clean and bunned!

Back