I've *got* to be doing this wrong. caramel treatment users, get in here!

Rei

Alright so I've been lurking on Velvethalo and Justkiya's fotkis/blogs and heres what I came up with for the caramel treatment since my hair's been pretty dry lately:

1/3 cup of acv
1/3 cup of melted shea butter
1/3 cup of coconut milk
1/3 cup of honey
1/3 cup of molasses
a package of those baby food bananas
1/3 cup of BB Growth Oil (I ran out of pretty much all of my oils so I used this instead. The ingredients are : Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Wheat germ oil, marula oil, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, oat kernel oil, shea butter oil, sweet almond oil, safflower oil, castor oil, vitamin e, A & D, Cyclomethicone. )

handmixed, and put it on my hair (boy was it messy), annnnnnnnnd I got HORRIBLE. CRUNCHY DRYNESS! My hair literally turned to straw while I was touching it :nono: I immediately washed that junk out and am currently under the dryer with some Aussie Moist to combat the damage. Is it supposed to feel this way at first, and then produce legendary shine and softness or am I just doing it wrong?

JustKiya

YOUCH!!! Sorry to hear that - that would scare the mess out of me!

Where'd the coconut milk come from? :lol:

Also, your oil has a silicone in it (seriously? Dude, why?!? :lol: ) and that might have thrown something off....

How big was your thing of baby food?

That definitely should not have happened, and washing it off and doing something reliable was definitely the right choice.

Rei

YOUCH!!! Sorry to hear that - that would scare the mess out of me!

Where'd the coconut milk come from?

Also, your oil has a silicone in it (seriously? Dude, why?!? ) and that might have thrown something off....

How big was your thing of baby food?

That definitely should not have happened, and washing it off and doing something reliable was definitely the right choice.

xD is the coconut milk supposed to not be in there? I got it from velvet halo's fotki, her recepie is
1- 4oz can of coconut milk
1/3 cup of African Royale Hot Six oil
1/3 cup Shea Butter
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup organic brown sugar with molasses (b/c I don't know where to get pure molasses in Denmark)
1/3 cup raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar

:C I really wanted this to work. Maybe it is the oil, but one silicone could throw it off that much? I tried to use some of the oils that you use but I don't have any of them :wallbash: besides the olive oil. I guess I can try it again without the BB growth oil, and just wait until I get to a whole foods. I'm just mad I bought all of these ingredients that I will never use with cooking for something that didn't work :perplexed I don't think I'm missing any other ingredients.... It felt nice when you put yours on right? pretty much immediately?

JustKiya

xD is the coconut milk supposed to not be in there? I got it from velvet halo's fotki, her recepie is
1- 4oz can of coconut milk
1/3 cup of African Royale Hot Six oil
1/3 cup Shea Butter
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup organic brown sugar with molasses (b/c I don't know where to get pure molasses in Denmark)
1/3 cup raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar

:C I really wanted this to work. Maybe it is the oil, but one silicone could throw it off that much? I tried to use some of the oils that you use but I don't have any of them :wallbash: besides the olive oil. I guess I can try it again without the BB growth oil, and just wait until I get to a whole foods. I'm just mad I bought all of these ingredients that I will never use with cooking for something that didn't work :perplexed I don't think I'm missing any other ingredients.... It felt nice when you put yours on right? pretty much immediately?

Innnnntteresting. I've never used coconut milk - that might be really interesting. :scratchch

Okay - and it's worked for her, so we can scrap the coconut milk - though, she doesn't use bananas, either. Hrm.

The one thing I was thinking about your original recipe is that maybe the ratios were off.

I only used 1/4 cup of everything, and used 3.5 oz of bananas - so, about half of each ingredient as bananas.

I see that VH used about the same amount of everything - actually a little more oils/acv than coconut milk.

I'm wondering if the coconut milk + banana + off ratios just combined to make your hair unhappy.

You have olive oil and shea butter. What other oils do you have in the house? My original recipe called for wheat germ oil, and I've seen some people leave the third oil out, all together. Oooh, I betcha cocoa butter would be LOVELY. I might have to try that myself, next time.

If you get coconut oil, you can use it to cook food it - it's good for you, and it leaves a faintly sweet taste, but not a clearly coconut one - it's SOOOO good to cook pancakes in/grease baking pans with :lick: :yep:

And the ACV is sooooo good in cole slaw/potato salad/salad dressings/potatoes, period. :lick:

Sorry, got off track. :rolleyes:

When I put it on, it's just cold and wet, and my hair feels - wet. The mix, now that I think about it, doesn't actually feel oily, at all when I put it on, but it does feel oily when I rinse it out.... that's interesting.

Rei

Innnnntteresting. I've never used coconut milk - that might be really interesting. :scratchch

Okay - and it's worked for her, so we can scrap the coconut milk - though, she doesn't use bananas, either. Hrm.

The one thing I was thinking about your original recipe is that maybe the ratios were off.

I only used 1/4 cup of everything, and used 3.5 oz of bananas - so, about half of each ingredient as bananas.

I see that VH used about the same amount of everything - actually a little more oils/acv than coconut milk.

I'm wondering if the coconut milk + banana + off ratios just combined to make your hair unhappy.

You have olive oil and shea butter. What other oils do you have in the house? My original recipe called for wheat germ oil, and I've seen some people leave the third oil out, all together. Oooh, I betcha cocoa butter would be LOVELY. I might have to try that myself, next time.

If you get coconut oil, you can use it to cook food it - it's good for you, and it leaves a faintly sweet taste, but not a clearly coconut one - it's SOOOO good to cook pancakes in/grease baking pans with :lick: :yep:

And the ACV is sooooo good in cole slaw/potato salad/salad dressings/potatoes, period. :lick:

Sorry, got off track. :rolleyes:

When I put it on, it's just cold and wet, and my hair feels - wet. The mix, now that I think about it, doesn't actually feel oily, at all when I put it on, but it does feel oily when I rinse it out.... that's interesting.

ALright so maybe my main problem is that I don't know how to cook :lachen: Although I did find that cooking with coconut oil set my fire alarm off EVERY TIME no matter how low my stove was, so i bumped that. I have shea butter, olive oil and castor oil. I was hesitant to add them because tbqh I haven't really been impressed with either of them on my hair alone, and I figured the BB oils had a lot more mixed in, so i didn't want to overdo it on the dosages of oils. I'll try again, but with more bananas and no coconut milk. Although I have a sneaking suspicion of the acv since my hair was feeling dry and acv has a tendency to dry my hair out. Do you know if the acv has a purpose in the mixture or can I leave it out?

(also where do you find all of these oils? i dont even see them in whole foods! the internet?)

Lucky's Mom

Where did you get this recipe from????

That is not the recipe I use. Caramel works wonders for my hair.....

I think if you stick to the basics, you might do yourself a favor. Or.......... you can buy the product from them....www.etaeproducts.com

Honey 1/2 cup
olive oil 1/4 cup
overripe banana - 1
molasses 1/8 cup
Xathan Gum or Cornstarch- Sprinkle
acv -squirt
Wheat germ oil - 1 tsps

Blend With a Blender ( puree )until creamy.....

Apply to your hair with an applicator Brush as if you are applying a relaxer....

Wrap Hair in plastic and keep it one hour or OVER NIGHT.

Lucky's Mom

Alright so I've been lurking on Velvethalo and Justkiya's fotkis/blogs and heres what I came up with for the caramel treatment since my hair's been pretty dry lately:

1/3 cup of acv
1/3 cup of coconut milk
1/3 cup of honey
1/3 cup of molasses
1/3 cup of BB Growth Oil (I ran out of pretty much all of my oils so I used this instead. The ingredients are : Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Wheat germ oil, marula oil, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, oat kernel oil, shea butter oil, sweet almond oil, safflower oil, castor oil, vitamin e, A & D, Cyclomethicone. )

handmixed, and put it on my hair (boy was it messy), annnnnnnnnd I got HORRIBLE. CRUNCHY DRYNESS! My hair literally turned to straw while I was touching it :nono: I immediately washed that junk out and am currently under the dryer with some Aussie Moist to combat the damage. Is it supposed to feel this way at first, and then produce legendary shine and softness or am I just doing it wrong?

1/3 cup ACV???? That probably did you in!

JustKiya

ALright so maybe my main problem is that I don't know how to cook :lachen: Although I did find that cooking with coconut oil set my fire alarm off EVERY TIME no matter how low my stove was, so i bumped that. I have shea butter, olive oil and castor oil. I was hesitant to add them because tbqh I haven't really been impressed with either of them on my hair alone, and I figured the BB oils had a lot more mixed in, so i didn't want to overdo it on the dosages of oils. I'll try again, but with more bananas and no coconut milk. Although I have a sneaking suspicion of the acv since my hair was feeling dry and acv has a tendency to dry my hair out. Do you know if the acv has a purpose in the mixture or can I leave it out?

(also where do you find all of these oils? i dont even see them in whole foods! the internet?)

*lol* That's - odd. :lol:

I don't know - my hair HATES ACV - this is the only time I ever use it in my hair - but I also use only 1/4 cup - so I don't know if that makes a difference. I assume that the acid helps in the smoothing down of the cuticles of the hair that gives you that lovely post-Caramel bling.

Yeah, I get my oils online. :lol: FNWL, mostly, because they last a while. Lotioncrafter.com and camdengrey.com have good oils/prices, too.

Lucky's Mom

*lol* That's - odd. :lol:

I don't know - my hair HATES ACV - this is the only time I ever use it in my hair - but I also use only 1/4 cup - so I don't know if that makes a difference. I assume that the acid helps in the smoothing down of the cuticles of the hair that gives you that lovely post-Caramel bling.

Yeah, I get my oils online. :lol: FNWL, mostly, because they last a while. Lotioncrafter.com and camdengrey.com have good oils/prices, too.

I only use a squirt of ACV. I am quite afraid of it....:burning::burning:

suburbanbushbabe

I'm pretty sure the Carmel treatment should be mostly bananas. Ingredients from most to least

Bananas
EVOOl
molasses
wheat germ oil
acv
corn starch

Ivy Santolina

I believe there was too much ACV also. ACV seizes up my hair if I use too much. I suggest no more than 1-2 Tbs next time. If your hair gets crunchy again try balancing it out with a mixture of 1Tbs table salt or Epsom salt with 1Qt of distilled water as your final rinse. I use Epsom salt and my hair stays soft.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

1/3 cup of acvtoo much vinegar, should you a tablespoon, no more.
1/3 cup of coconut milk
1/3 cup of honeytry 1/2 cup of honey, it's a moisturizer, humectant
1/3 cup of molasses2 tblspns of molasses, this will make your hair hard.

No. Your hair should melt like butter once your rinse it out. It should be left in, with a plastic cap for about 30 minutes, more if you can hang. This is the BEST deep conditioning moisturzing treatment i've ever used. Your curls should also elongate.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

1/3 cup of acv
1/3 cup of coconut milkcoconut oil, not coconut milk.
1/3 cup of honey
1/3 cup of molasses

these adjustments and the ones i posted earlier should help tremendously. my hair got rock hard when i used too much molasses....

msa

1/3 cup of acv
1/3 cup of coconut milk
1/3 cup of honey
1/3 cup of molasses

Where did you get this recipe from????

That is not the recipe I use. Caramel works wonders for my hair.....

I think if you stick to the basics, you might do yourself a favor. Or.......... you can buy the product from them....www.etaeproducts.com

Honey 1/2 cup
olive oil 1/4 cup
overripe banana - 1
molasses 1/8 cup
Xathan Gum or Cornstarch- Sprinkle
acv -squirt
Wheat germ oil - 1 tsps

Blend With a Blender ( puree )until creamy.....

Apply to your hair with an applicator Brush as if you are applying a relaxer....

Wrap Hair in plastic and keep it one hour or OVER NIGHT.

Use the original recipe (the one SamanthaJones posted) FIRST, before you add anything. The shea butter, coconut milk, other oils, and everything else are not necessary and may jack your hair up. And, you can't even call it the "caramel treatment" if you didn't do it with the same ingredients :spinning:.

TeaKyoo

I am loving the exact recipes. I am not much on a smidgin of dis and a bit of dat when it comes to my hair. Its difficult to add to taste if ya get me. Thank you everyone for posting the recipes for this caramel stuff I am trying to save some dough. --TQ