Is washing and flat ironing your hair once a week too much?

CarmelCupcake

Hi ladies, for the past couple of years i have been washing and flat ironing my hair once every two weeks. Now, I notice that my hair is itching more, and I was wondering if my hair would do okay being washed, blow dryed, and flat ironed once a week instead of once every two weeks. I will still be protective styling. I guess im just scared that my hair will get more split ends/damaged. What are your thoughts ladies?

Bublin

Well i stopped using heat altogether about 3 months ago.
Before that i was blowdrying and flatironing every week or two weeks. Forever i had been trying to get rid of my, quite frankly, nasty scalp. It was inflamed, itchy and caked up.
I also had lots and lots of broken hairs and where my hair is very thin at the front i have heat damage.

Within 2 weeks of me stopping all heat my scalp problems disappeared and of course i'm now seeing those short broken hairs getting longer. Funnily enough i still retained ok ( i transitioned for two years so was always cutting the ends off), it was the hair in the middle top of my head that was all broken so when i parted my hair, little hairs spiked up.

OP, your hair looks great in your siggy pic so you must be doing something right and know what your hair can or can't take.

Ijanei

I can't speak for everyone else but in the beginning of my journey, I was washing and flat ironing once a week. Thing is, I was air drying so I wasn't using that much heat. Also I deep conditioned my hair and made sure that it stayed moisturized throughout the week. I had no problems TBH

I wash and flat iron weekly as well. I also deep condish every wash day, use leave ins and protectants, and dry and flat iron on low heat settings. It works well for me and it's a rare occasion that my hair will let me go longer than a week without washing. I'm a slow grower but I haven't had any setbacks with my weekly regi and I'm making steady progress toward BSL. (Currently .5" away from BSB) I only wear buns...

hothair

Co-signing on this. When I was natural with BKT I washed and flatironed every week. I airdried in two pony tails though and use more protein based DCs, no broken hairs, I retained pretty well too.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
My hair would fall right out using heat that often. Washing and deep conditioning are fine, but can you air dry and wear braid-outs, twist-outs, buns, etc? Those styles don't require heat.

You've already stated that you have splits and damage, so I wouldn't purposely manipulate my hair more often than needed.

kupenda

I think that increasing your heat and handling of your hair when you already have splits and damage is a recipe for disaster. If anything, air dry and wear more textured styles like braid outs and knot outs. Are you relaxed? Your hair also looks colored from your avatar. Weekly DCing will do you good.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Love Always

Are you relaxed or natural? I don't know if that makes a difference but I'm natural and years ago I would wash and flat iron my hair every week with no negative affects on my hair. Definitely use a heat protector though.

cutenss

I use to do when I was relaxed, without issue. I am natural now, and I plan to start doing this as well. At least twice a month.