Is this too much?

Chameleonchick

I just started taking a 1/2 teaspoon MSM twice a day and 2 silica pills once a day. Is this too much? What is the maximum of MSM you can take? I am not only taking the MSM for my hair but also because it makes my body feel "stronger" if that makes any sense.

From what I was told, MSM is water soluable....so you can take as much as you want, it will just flush out of you system.....but I don't know about the Silica....HTH!

ackee walk

First of all, you definitely can take too much MSM. So, be careful. Taking too much can reek havoc on your sleep patterns (keeping you up at night/giving you weird dreams), your cycle, your skin and/or your weight. Plus, you know the saying-- too much of one thing is good for nothing. That said, 1/2 teaspoon twice a day is not too much for most people. It all depends on your tolerance but here is the info I have saved regarding taking MSM as a supplement:

"Start at a low level of between 500 and 1000 mg (eighth to a quarter teaspoon) per day. Stay at that level for about a week and then add another 500 to 1000 mg per day and stay at that level for a week. Continue in the same way for several weeks never adding more than 2000 mg (half teaspoon) at one time, until you are taking between 6 and 8 teaspoons per day. This high level makes up for the years of deficiency that your body has experienced. Then reduce the amount to a maintenance level for whatever works for you. This is a balance between addressing what you want to address and being able to sleep as well as you would like at night. For most people the maintenance level is between 1 and 2 teaspoons (4000 to 8000 mg) per day. Always drink LOTS of water when starting on MSM or when increasing the amount you are taking. Also, Vit. C goes hand in hand with MSM. Supposedly, you should take 500 mcg Vit C/1000 mcg of MSM)."

I never took as much as 6 - 8 teasponns per day. I think that is too much.

Also, I take 2 silica pills (vegetal silica) per day too and that's been working out well for me (stronger hair and nails). I don't think that is too much.