Is there any point in going natural if....

shtow

I am thinking of going natural. My relaxed hair can handle heat but I am thinking of going natural so that my hair can be stronger and hopefully it's longest (eventually). I would wear it in its natural state sometimes. However, I am almost sure than I would wear it straight at least 80 percent of the time. Also, my hair is BSL in layers and I am terrified of BCing. How long would I be able to transition without BCing? ANY advice and feedback would be appreciated. I have not completely made up my mind and am considering but I want to get an idea of what I would be getting myself into.

Hey there,
I think that if you are thinking of going natural you just gotta give it a try. Just start transitioning and see how it goes, take it one day at a time. How long you can transition will depend on a several things:

1. The texture and thickness of your hair. I have found that often those with thick 4a/b hair cannot transition much longer than 7 or so months because the hair starts to break at the line of demarcation and becomes extremely tangled. Often they must resort to heat to continue transtioning which can cause damage as well. I've seen 3a/b's transition for what seems like forever to me. And people with finer hair seem to have a bit of an easier time as well. Of course there are always acceptions.

2. How cute you need to look. Can you handle having really really thick roots? Will that get on your nerves? Do you mind wearing wigs sometimes, etc.?

3. Also, how important is length to you? You might be surpised that shoulder-length natural hair will give you as much a thrill as relaxed bsl hair because it may be so lush and thick and healthy that you won't mind bc'ng at that length and then growing it out from there.

I say just start transitioning and go from there, if you end up not wanting to be natural you just relax it.

Thanks hopeful! Funny thing is I have an appointment for a touch up for tomorrow. I had to book this way in advance because my stylist is appointment only and does my hair only (not rotating customers) in her stylist room. So I have been contemplating if I should go tomorrow or not. My hair is SUPER thick. But I also think that thick hair is beautiful and you are completly right, if I grew it to SL natural, Id be happy BCing there.

I'm transitioning... I'm 1 year into my transition.

I know many many people that just stopped getting

relaxers and just kept styling thier hair just as they

would have with a relaxer. When I got relaxers I would

still flat iron or do a blowout so the only thing that's

gone is the relaxer. Heat & Chemicals are the two most

damaging things you can do to your hair... if you eliminate

one... why not

Each time I transitioned it took me about 2 years. I just grew the relaxer until it was about an inch or less and cut the remaining ends off. HTH. Good luck during your transition!:grin:

Thanks hopeful! Funny thing is I have an appointment for a touch up for tomorrow. I had to book this way in advance because my stylist is appointment only and does my hair only (not rotating customers) in her stylist room. So I have been contemplating if I should go tomorrow or not. My hair is SUPER thick. But I also think that thick hair is beautiful and you are completly right, if I grew it to SL natural, Id be happy BCing there.

You're welcome. If I were you I'd cancel the appointment or go and instead of getting a relaxer, get a really good deep conditioner, and a roller set or flat-iron.

one... why not

That's exactly what I am thinking! I have peeped your hair before and it is GAWJUS! lol Hope you dont mind, but I am about to be all up in your site lol.

Last edited:

one... why not

That's what I did.:yep:
My hair is stronger and healthier than ever. I used to roller wrap my hair when I was relaxed, and to get it bone straight I had to flat-iron. Now that I'm natural, I still rollerwrap and flat-iron. I don't use curling irons any more. I only use the flat iron like every 2-3 weeks. (Because I'm getting lazy.)

Just make sure you condition and deep condition your hair.

To tell you the truth, I went natural because my hair just got too damaged from the relaxer, from over-processing, but my intent was to wear my hair straight most of the time once I transitioned because I liked how straightened hair looked on me. I intended to straighten it by pressing or flat-ironing. I was using alot of heat with chemicals, so I figured heat without the chemicals would be somewhat better for my hair.

Once I found LHCF and actually succeeded in getting my hair healthy and lush and thriving, I do not flat-iron it but a couple times a year because: 1) it is so beautiful un-straightened (the yogurt conditioning and daily use of aloe vera relax the curl pattern and minimize shrinkage tremendously giving me nice waves and curls...) and 2) I work out five days a week, so, it wouldn't be practical anyway.

Also, I never BCed. I think that people who have already found LHCF are ahead of the game if they decide to transition because of all the good information, tips, and support. My transition was hellacious because I did not find LHCF until 2005 and my last relaxer was in 2003. I did not know about deep conditioning and getting moisture into my hair and retaining it, which is why my transition was so awful, but you shouldn't have that problem at all if you decide to transition.

Last edited:
I am thinking of going natural. My relaxed hair can handle heat but I am thinking of going natural so that my hair can be stronger and hopefully it's longest (eventually). I would wear it in its natural state sometimes. However, I am almost sure than I would wear it straight at least 80 percent of the time. Also, my hair is BSL in layers and I am terrified of BCing. How long would I be able to transition without BCing? ANY advice and feedback would be appreciated. I have not completely made up my mind and am considering but I want to get an idea of what I would be getting myself into.

I never did a BC if you're assuming BC means a tiny fro. When I transitioned by accident, I was pressing my new growth. If you want your roots straight, you can always go to the DR salons as well.Trauma free.

I have friends who wear their hair pressed all the time and it is healthy and thriving. Some people just want to avoid the chemicals. But you do have to be prepared to deal w/frizz, humidity, and puffy roots sometimes. If you want a really pin straight look all of the time then pressed wouldn't be the best way to go.

I am 4a/4b and I transitioned for about 14 months and I think the first pic in my siggy was the length that I was about two months after my final BC.

I think that it will take you longer to get to your goal lengths if you are consistently using heat during your transition and while initially natural as you might not retain as much. However, if you dont mind that...then you will be fine. I believe that slow and steady wins the race anyways.

I plan to be straight about 50-60% of the time once I reach BSL. I just used natural styles to grow my hair out. Also, you may be surprised that as you transition, you may really enjoy wearing your hair in its natural state. My original intention when I went natural was to keep my hair straight...but I fell in love with my hair in all its states so I like to switch it up.

Anyways...I say go for it!!

That's what I do and my hair is the healthiest it's ever been. My hair can be styled, silky straight, kinky straight, curly fro, kinky-straight flowy afro, all in one week if I chose to! With the right styling products and good styling technique it's really easy to deal with humidity issues.

Originally posted by Ms Lala
I have friends who wear their hair pressed all the time and it is healthy and thriving. Some people just want to avoid the chemicals. But you do have to be prepared to deal w/frizz, humidity, and puffy roots sometimes. If you want a really pin straight look all of the time then pressed wouldn't be the best way to go.

I am 4a/4b and I transitioned for about 14 months and I think the first pic in my siggy was the length that I was about two months after my final BC.

I think that it will take you longer to get to your goal lengths if you are consistently using heat during your transition and while initially natural as you might not retain as much. However, if you dont mind that...then you will be fine. I believe that slow and steady wins the race anyways.

I plan to be straight about 50-60% of the time once I reach BSL. I just used natural styles to grow my hair out. Also, you may be surprised that as you transition, you may really enjoy wearing your hair in its natural state. My original intention when I went natural was to keep my hair straight...but I fell in love with my hair in all its states so I like to switch it up.

Anyways...I say go for it!!

That's exactly what happened to me! I flat ironed my way through my transition because I was planning to wear my hair straight anyway, but now, I have no plans to straighten for awhile.

I agree with NL and ST. Just do it. When I was relaxed and when I was texlaxed, I still had to use heat to get my hair straight, so what was the point in continuing to relax? By eliminating chemicals, you get the best of both worlds if you want it (although reversion is a concern).

I say try it. If you get to a point where you feel you have to relax again, then at least you got a good relaxer stretch out of the deal.:yep:

FWIW, I had almost no heat damage from flat-ironing during my transition. I'm actually pretty surprised that my newgrowth stayed in such good condition. So it is possible.

one... why not
This is what I did. I didn't BC.

I never did a BC if you're assuming BC means a tiny fro. When I transitioned by accident, I was pressing my new growth. If you want your roots straight, you can always go to the DR salons as well.Trauma free.

To the bolded, not always. Cheap, yes. But I've seen far too much damage as a result of DR styling methods.

To the bolded, not always. Cheap, yes. But I've seen far too much damage as a result of DR styling methods.

I agree; I have seen too many heads that suffer from the damage (in the long run). You may get an immediate satisfaction, but in the long run:wallbash:

I am 13 months into my transition to BC at all. I will stick to my plan of getting a couple of inches trimmed every 45 days. I wish I was one of those that could "flat iron my roots" for a straight look throughout my transition, but unfortunately I am just not good at it (nor patient) and would have to go to a professional to get it done if I want it straight. I just enjoy wearing a ponytail braidout or a full head braidout. Once completely natural, I anticipate that I will probably wear my hair in its natural state 50% of the time and straight the other 50%

I sau do as some of the other ladies have advised; forego your relaxer appt. tomorrow and take it day by day. If it gets to the point where you can't deal with the two textures and feel the need to relax, at least you have done a long stretch and given your hair a break from chemicals for a minute.

The transitioning thread has great advice and tips.....Good luck whatever you decide!

I agree; I have seen too many heads that suffer from the damage (in the long run). You may get an immediate satisfaction, but in the long run:wallbash:

I am 13 months into my transition to BC at all. I will stick to my plan of getting a couple of inches trimmed every 45 days. I wish I was one of those that could "flat iron my roots" for a straight look throughout my transition, but unfortunately I am just not good at it (nor patient) and would have to go to a professional to get it done if I want it straight. I just enjoy wearing a ponytail braidout or a full head braidout. Once completely natural, I anticipate that I will probably wear my hair in its natural state 50% of the time and straight the other 50%

I sau do as some of the other ladies have advised; forego your relaxer appt. tomorrow and take it day by day. If it gets to the point where you can't deal with the two textures and feel the need to relax, at least you have done a long stretch and given your hair a break from chemicals for a minute.

The transitioning thread has great advice and tips.....Good luck whatever you decide!

Thanks a bunch!

From what I've seen, the damage takes place during the first visit. It is often not discovered until later on.

Back