Is There Any Alternative To Neutralizing Shampoos?

esoterica

maybe an ACV Rinse?

i just think that this is a crazy list of chemicals to be creeping through my skin for half an hour. considering all the chemicals in the relaxer itself. is there a way to make a normal shampoo neutralising? since it's just a matter of pH.

maybe Citric Acid. that's what many manufacturers use to adjust pH.:scratchch

Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo: Water Aqua , Cocamidopropyldimethylamine Propionate , Trideceth-7 Carboxylic Acid , PPG-5-Ceteh-10 Phosphate , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Ammonium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide Glucoside , Lauryl Glucoside , Polyquaternium-10 , Cocoglucoside , Glyceryl Oleate , Disodium EDTA , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , Cetrimonium Carboxydecyl , PEG-8 Dimethicone , Cetrimonium Chloride , Sulfated Castor Oil , Lecithin , Propylene Glycol , PEG-12 Oleate , Silicone Quaternium-2 , Panthenol Succinate , Fragrance Parfum , Aloe Barbadensis Gel , Glyceryl Polymethacrylate , Propylene Glycol , Polyquaternium-7 , Cocamide MEA , Glycol Distearate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Triethanolamine , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylparaben , Propylene Glycol , Propyl Parben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Green No. 3 Cl 42053 , Yellow No. 5 Cl 19140

You can mix some vinegar with some conditioner. Doesn't have to be acv. I've used white vinegar with the same result.

That's a good question. I'm sure there is an alternative, I don't know what it is yet though. However, until it is proven to work consistently, I won't be experimenting.

good idea. i use cheap white vinegar around the house all the time. i'd rather put some of that in a decent shampoo that use ORS.

It's not just about pH. someone mentioned in another thread that anything including water cand bring down the pH of the hair.

This is true but misleading. You can't have just any product in your hair to bring down the pH. You need something that will bring it down fast enough to keep your hair from being overprocessed.

By the time you need a neutralizing shampoo, time is of the essence and some things will not work fast enough. At this point the relaxer has done what it is supposed to do and will now do serious damage if you don't bring down the pH fast .

That being said, I don't know if ACV will work, but I do know that the reason neutralizers are in the form of a shampoo or conditioner (ie motions) is that you need a carrier to hold that neutralizer in the hair long enough for it to do its thang. Lather or the thickness of a conditioner does that perfectly.

You could use acv, but because its a liquid it will run right through the hair and you could lose what ever benefit it has.
JMHO:)

Taij said:
You could use acv, but because its a liquid it will run right through the hair and you could lose what ever benefit it has.
JMHO:)

i want to add something to my normal shampoo to make it neutralising. hopefully that way it should stay in my hair. vinegar alone would definitely be too runny.

Back