Is there a such thing as OVERCONDITIONING???

lilamae

Sometimes I'll read a regimen of a fellow LHCF member and how they deep condition and it will go something like this:

"First I mix olive oil, protein conditioner, Moisturizing conditioner, Ovation cell therapy, coconut oil, Bt, MTG, MN, vegetable oil, one egg, mayonaise, Sulfur 8, miller genuine draft light, vanilla extract, trader joes spicy hummus, and crushed up pita chips...

Then I put on a plastic cap and leave it on for 6-8 weeks."

I'm like dang, why can't we just do a simple deep conditioning treatment similar to what the directions say??? I dont see why some people have to create a witches brew then leave it on for soo long?

Is there something I dont know about the benefits of long term conditioning (12 hours or more)? Or are some of us just doin too much?

I guess to each her own, but for me less is more.

And to answer my question...does anyone know if there is a such thing as "overconditioning"?

JustKiya

You can definitely over-moisturize your hair to make it exceptionally moist - it gets super weak and super stretchy and limp.

I'm one of those who will mix up something (DH calls it hair alchemy) and leave it on forever - *shrug* I don't see any harm in it, and sometimes I'm just not ready to hop back in the shower cuz I'm handling life, ya know? :lol:

I figure as long as my hair is happy, and I'm happy doing what I'm doing with/for/to my hair, it's all good.

vlucious

i can attest to overconditioning.. my hair is a mushy frizzy mess when i use conditioner too often, or too much.

aloof one

There is definitely such a thing, I know first hand because my hair has been telling me all along I don't need that.

Your hair gets mushy and thats how you know. Mixing all that stuff just isn't necessary, and I think it was just a bad phase I went through.

I am just going to cowash and just put some conditioner on and rinse after 3 minutes from now on. I got on this site and thought I was doing something wrong by just shampooing and conditioning all in 5-10 minutes and having a bottle of conditioner last me a month. After I got on here I was going through conditioners every 2 weeks and taking 3 hours just to condition, and my hair was getting worse. I know better right now but that is a year wasted doing extra that wasn't needed. Its really all just hype. I get the same shine and conditioning from putting on conditioner for 3 minutes or 10 minutes that I was from an hour... in fact I get less breakage. My hair doesn't like being wet and mushy and soaked in conditioner under a cap overnight. If I am not leaving it in and airdrying, that stuff needs to be rinsed out within minutes:yep:

pisceschica

Sometimes I'll read a regimen of a fellow LHCF member and how they deep condition and it will go something like this:

"First I mix olive oil, protein conditioner, Moisturizing conditioner, Ovation cell therapy, coconut oil, Bt, MTG, MN, vegetable oil, one egg, mayonaise, Sulfur 8, miller genuine draft light, vanilla extract, trader joes spicy hummus, and crushed up pita chips...

I'm like dang, why can't we just do a simple deep conditioning treatment similar to what the directions say??? I dont see why some people have to create a witches brew then leave it on for soo long?

Is there something I dont know about the benefits of long term conditioning (12 hours or more)? Or are some of us just doin too much?

And to answer my question...does anyone know if there is a such thing as "overconditioning"?

I don't know about over moisturizing. But what I DO know is that with all the research, development, and testing that goes into creating all of these prodcuts that if it says leave it on for 10-15 minutes w or w/o heat I don't leave it on anymore than than. Alot of company reps for these companies that teach product knowledge say you are wasting your time if you keep it on longer than what it says. It does nothing but sit on your hair after the max time. So you don't have to spend your entire day with conditioner on your head unless you want to.

ajoyfuljoy

ITA

When I switched to ORS replenish (the most extreme, penetrating deep condish I've EVER used) that was the first time I ever felt like my hair might have had enough.

I used to put olive and coconut oil over the condish and now it's too much.

I'm learning to be less heavy handed. Once a week condish with steam (some people say that's too much but my hair likes it), not using all those witch doctor brews...the longer I go on the more simple my hair reggy becomes and the more healthier my hair becomes.

wheezy807

Yes but i've never suffered from it. Sometimes i like to experiment and leave conditioner on my hair overnight. Guilty as charged.:lachen: But i don't mix X,Y and Z.

scorpian

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:This was too funny..pita chips and beer

Yes over conditioning with too many moisturizing conditioners or styling products can cause mushy hair..you can correct it by adding protein to your regimen...and I agree...All of that is not needed for conditioning you just need to use the right conditioner

Evazhair

"First I mix olive oil, protein conditioner, Moisturizing conditioner, Ovation cell therapy, coconut oil, Bt, MTG, MN, vegetable oil, one egg, mayonaise, Sulfur 8, miller genuine draft light, vanilla extract, trader joes spicy hummus, and crushed up pita chips...Then I put on a plastic cap and leave it on for 6-8 weeks."

Girl, you about made me spit coffee all over and probably up in my pibbs:nono2:
:rofl:
TJ Hummus and pita chips.....:lick:
OK seriously. My cousin used to do conditioner overnight and her hair remained toe down. Yes as others have said overconditioning is possible and some will tell you they do it with no ill effects. I think the best thing is a conditioner that really works for you. I add oils, honey and stuff to give a boost to dcs that work just fine by themselves sometimes. Why? because I bought a lot of stuff since I joined that I want to use up. Once gone, I will be doing it a lot less. I also believe that 99% of the time it is best to leave a dc in for the recommended time. Some things are cool to leave in a little longer, but 6-8 weeks ( i know you were joking) is overkill. Some things leave a nasty coating when left on for too long. That's why I don't baggy. Overconditioned weak limp hair. Less is definitely more IMO.

memee1978

Girl, you about made me spit coffee all over and probably up in my pibbs:nono2:
:rofl:
TJ Hummus and pita chips.....:lick:
OK seriously. My cousin used to do conditioner overnight and her hair remained toe down. Yes as others have said overconditioning is possible and some will tell you they do it with no ill effects. I think the best thing is a conditioner that really works for you. I add oils, honey and stuff to give a boost to dcs that work just fine by themselves sometimes. Why? because I bought a lot of stuff since I joined that I want to use up. Once gone, I will be doing it a lot less. I also believe that 99% of the time it is best to leave a dc in for the recommended time. Some things are cool to leave in a little longer, but 6-8 weeks ( i know you were joking) is overkill. Some things leave a nasty coating when left on for too long. That's why I don't baggy. Overconditioned weak limp hair. Less is definitely more IMO.
i tottally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!because if your hair is severly damaged.....all the conditioner in the world.....wont do much justice.but like she said,do what works for you..........thats the best advice because every ones hair does not act the same way.:rolleyes:

charmtreese

I have yet to over condition my hair. I condition overnight once a week with products that suggest you do so. IMHO if someone is mixing 100 different things and leaving it on for two weeks and it works for them, the so-be-it!!! :ohwell:

Evazhair

i tottally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!because if your hair is severly damaged.....all the conditioner in the world.....wont do much justice.but like she said,do what works for you..........thats the best advice because every ones hair does not act the same way.:rolleyes:

That is so true. I was there a long long time ago. It takes time and consistency to overcome damage. In my experience it was best to cut off the damage.

I have yet to over condition my hair. I condition overnight once a week with products that suggest you do so. IMHO if someone is mixing 100 different things and leaving it on for two weeks and it works for them, the so-be-it!!! :ohwell:

This is an important point. I would not hesitate to use something that is formulated to be used overnight for 8 hours or whatever.

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I believe mthat it is possible to overcondition your hair. I suffered from it when I first jumped on the board. I was co-washing and deep conditioning at every chance that I got and slapping on coconut oil and other moisturizers as well. My hair did not break off or fall out, it was just super soft and mushy and I didnt think that was good at all. So i tweaked my regimen a little bit and made sure to incorporate protein into the mix as much as possible. I think my hair's balance is ok right now and I hope it continues that way.

lilamae

yeah like i said to each her own... but just out of curiosity...what products suggest you leave them in overnight?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hey Lila :wave:

As for overconditioning, a conditioner can only absorb so far into the hair. Protein can definitely be overused--hardcore protein treatments should be limited.

What you're referring to in your original post isn't what I'd call overconditioning though. I sure would call it unnecessary however! :lol:

chocolatethai

i think so, i know that when i deep condition with the ORS replenishing pack my hair felt mushy even after i fully rinsed it out of my hair

Pheonixx

You can over-moisturize/ condition (whatever). Although it is easier to over-strengthen.

I don't really think twice about what other ppl put in their mixes. Pretty sure they're doin it for a reason.
I dunno....

Anywho I can sit with conditioner on my head all night and it not bother me. My hair craves moisture. I have to work very hard to over do it .

Mandy4610

Now tell me more about this beer!!!! The above recipe sounds good:look::look::look: 6-8 weeks huh? WOW, on this forum, I learn something new everyday:look::look:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

shocol

Yes, you can overcondition/over moisturize your hair. But the ONLY time I have done it was with a product that wasn't a DC, QB Sidr Tree Butter Balm. Otherwise, I tweak how long my DC is left in my hair.

shocol

ITA

When I switched to ORS replenish (the most extreme, penetrating deep condish I've EVER used) that was the first time I ever felt like my hair might have had enough.

I used to put olive and coconut oil over the condish and now it's too much.

I'm learning to be less heavy handed. Once a week condish with steam (some people say that's too much but my hair likes it), not using all those witch doctor brews...the longer I go on the more simple my hair reggy becomes and the more healthier my hair becomes.

This winter my hair was so dry, and twice a week with steam was the only thing that saved it when my other condish stopped working. Now that I'm starting to find some replacement products, once a week should be good enough.

changedlife

And to answer my question...does anyone know if there is a such thing as "overconditioning"?[/quote]

Yes, there is. I did it once and when I touched my hair it felt like smashing a grocery bag .

TLC1020

I'm sure there is a such as overconditioning, I shampoo and deep condition my hair once a week, so when I do deep condition I leave it on for more than the recommended time but not overnight.