Is Natural Hair the Ultimate?

jenaccess

Help me out ladies because I am a little confused. If I want the best that my hair and scalp can be (the ultimate)
Does this mean that I should go natural? It seems that all of these women on youtube that have super gorgeous hair, super long, major thickness, no brakage, no thin edges or thin ends are all natural.
Such as eclark6, sunshower143, theroyalempress, chakakhanian, D'zire, teaundra's, PLTbyCormie, Naptural85, Myhairfetish, ReniecehairTV, Longhairdontcare, CourtneyNaturalHair,HairCrush, JoStylin, Mohoganycurls, Sera2524, Sistawithrealhair and Thepricelesslove.
I will appreciate each one of you opinion.
Thanks

babyhurr4

I don't know if that's really the case, because chelseababiiful, kissseventyseven, thehappyhairshow, ModelTresses, The1KEKE77, and NitraBoo08 are all relaxed ladies with long healthy hair. I've been all through youtube and found healthy hair ladies with both natural and relaxed hair alike. I think it all depends on their regimen and what really works for their particular hair care, lifestyle, and maintenance upkeep. It's all about doing the research, educating yourself on hair care, making a choice for what's best for your hair and staying consistent, with patience during your hair journey.

babyhurr4

oh, I just wanted to add that I'm subscribed to all of these ladies due to their outstanding hair results and great advice for hair care.(as you can see, I'm a lil obsessed with healthy hair care)lol

ravenhairedcharm

No, I've seen people with gorgeous relaxed hair because they know how to take care of it and people with gorgeous natural hair because they know how to take care of it. I've also seen the opposite for both.

Last edited:

BraunSugar

I think natural and relaxed hair each presents its own set of challenges. For all of the ladies you named with long, healthy natural hair, there are even more that are struggling to understand their texture, products, handling, and maintenance of their natural hair. There is an active thread here for ladies struggling with their natural hair. Some people's hair can tolerate relaxers quite well and we have quite a few members here with long, relaxed hair. It's about figuring out what works best for you and your lifestyle. Right now being natural just works best for me and that is what I am sticking with. I believe your hair can be healthy either way with a good regimen.

Damaged but not out

Help me out ladies because I am a little confused. If I want the best that my hair and scalp can be (the ultimate)
Does this mean that I should go natural? It seems that all of these women on youtube that have super gorgeous hair, super long, major thickness, no brakage, no thin edges or thin ends are all natural.
Such as eclark6, sunshower143, theroyalempress, chakakhanian, D'zire, teaundra's, PLTbyCormie, Naptural85, Myhairfetish, ReniecehairTV, Longhairdontcare, CourtneyNaturalHair,HairCrush, JoStylin, Mohoganycurls, Sera2524, Sistawithrealhair and Thepricelesslove.
Thanks

To answer the part in bold yes, relaxers do damage the scalp and hair. Does this mean you have to be natural to have the ultimate hair no.

ChocolatePie777

Technically yes......un treated virgin hair is the "ultimate/best" regardless of hair type.....why do you think children typically have awesome hair(again regardless of race).......as hair gets longer and older integrity is lost a little but is the most "healthy"......

Of course you dont need virgin hair to have little to no breakage....thick ends....full hair line,beautiful hair etc.....imo if you stay out of the extreme (overprocessing...too much heat etc)......that depends on how you treat and handle it mainly........there are plenty of people that are relaxed or heat trained that have beautiful hair

As far as being natural to acheive it......i would say def go for it( i think all adults should experience un altered hair at least oncein their adult life).......but ultimately its up to you......but i will say that you shouldnt have un realistic expectations when going natural

*CherryPie*

Not all naturals have nice hair. In fact, you only named a few people. There are a lot of struggling naturals girl. Don't you see people on here struggling? A lot of people are even going back to the relaxer. If my edges weren't sensitive to the chemicals, I'm sure I'd still have relaxed hair because my hair was beatiful...and long.

My youngest daughter (22 years old) has the most beautiful waistlength, extremely thick, healthy, relaxed hair...and she does it herself from a box. She uses great products and care in order to keep it that way. I know this because I bought them and taught her.

So, whatever you choose, you can have the healthiest hair for you as long as you care for it properly.

AtlantaJJ

Technically yes......un treated virgin hair is the "ultimate/best" regardless of hair type.....why do you think children typically have awesome hair(again regardless of race).......as hair gets longer and older integrity is lost a little but is the most "healthy"......

Of course you dont need virgin hair to have little to no breakage....thick ends....full hair line,beautiful hair etc.....imo if you stay out of the extreme (overprocessing...too much heat etc)......that depends on how you treat and handle it mainly........there are plenty of people that are relaxed or heat trained that have beautiful hair

As far as being natural to acheive it......i would say def go for it( i think all adults should experience un altered hair at least oncein their adult life).......but ultimately its up to you......but i will say that you shouldnt have un realistic expectations when going natural
I agree with your entire statement. Regarding the bolded, I wish I didn't wait so long to do so!

reeko43

It was the ultimate for me. My hair and scalp are thriving. But then I love my natural hair's multiple textures and character so I am more motivated to care for it.

claud-uk

All of the above. Great responses from all the ladies. "Ultimately" it's down to how well the particular head of hair is cared for, whether natural or relaxed.

HeadofCurls

Thanks

I think u should do whatever feels right for your hair and lifestyle.

Many women go natural trying to attain healthy hair and find that it's more trouble for them than what it's worth.

I like variety and can't stand having the same look for too long so I bc'd in 2010 and never looked back. Since then I've worn it straight, curly, cut it and even lightened it. Needless to say, I'm in love with it.

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

I've had long, healthy relaxed hair & long healthy natural hair. Even though my relaxed hair looked and felt great, once I went natural I could see how much healthier my hair is without the relaxer. So for me, natural hair was the ultimate for hair and scalp health.

SmileyNY

No, I've seen people with gorgeous relaxed hair because they know how to take care of it and people with gorgeous natural hair because they know how to take care of it. I've also seen the opposite for both.

Exactly! There's a theme here lol. I the the "ultimate" is really taking the time to find out what works best for you hair (whether natural or relaxed) and being diligent about implementing those things. Hard work and consistency are the ultimate when it comes to long healthy hair.

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Healthy Hair is the #1 Ultimate

^^^ THIS. Whether relaxed/texlaxed/natural(loose/loc), once it's healthy THAT's the ultimate type of hair.

Some people retain better, have less knots/tangles when relaxed. Others - their edges/nape can't handle a relaxer, and they turn to other alternatives. Just do what works best for you and your hair.

luckiestdestiny

The "ultimate" is ulimately what you want to do. My opinion on being natural: I think it will make it "easier" to get to your goals because you won't have to worry about protein moisture balance, etc. Also your hair is in it's strongest state when it's natural thus it's easier to get to your goals. BUT with that said you can have healthy long relaxed or natural hair. BTW I'm a natural but I'm not biased. I've been both and found that it's easy to just get to my goals without worrying about little broken hairs, and what to do to balance, etc...that I had to do as a relaxed head.

Last edited:

Cherokee-n-Black

My thing has always been: we have options. I think far too many sisters think that they HAVE to have relaxed hair to have: 1) style 2) manageability and 3) hair that hangs long. We all know from experience that none of those are givens with relaxed hair, and quite often can be at odds with what relaxers do to your hair--without proper and I would say fairly meticulous hair care methods. At the end of the day, one has to balance the damage (and yes, it will be damaged) from relaxers and potential risks, vs. the natural hair's own set of complexities and challenges.

My hair has been longer relaxed than it is natural, but I've only been growing it for a year. For me it has been about getting to know my hair, rediscovering its natural beauty, and workin' it! I don't believe that "not all naturals have nice hair," I just think that not everyone has found what works for them yet. I agree with the PP who said every adult should experience their hair in its unaltered state at least once in their adult life.

Royalq

It true, so come over to the dark side my dear :Devil:
Im kidding, its not true. It all about how you care for your hair. Relaxed ladies can have gorgeous thick hair too.

kellistarr

You can have great hair, either way, as long as you take care of it. I liked my relaxed hair and love my natural hair. My hair was long as a relaxed girl and is longer as a natural girl. I think it's because I take better care of it natural. I wash it more (as a relaxed girl, I avoided water). I give it no heat. Relaxed, it got some heat. I went natural because I wanted to wash more and I did a lot of things to my hair that natural hair girls do anyway. Twisting, rod sets, roller sets, up-do's. I also wanted to get to know my curls. I thought, what am I relaxing for?