Is my stylist texlaxing my hair properly?

isawstars

My new stylist texlaxs my hair by running a comb through my new growth that has relaxer on it. The teeth of the comb is between small and medium. Of course, she only left the relaxer on half the time as you would for a relaxer. But the second time she gave me a touch up, I commented to her how it seemed like it was left on longer.

It's been weeks after my touch up and I'm really confused because my roots seem straighter than normal... then again, i'm used to having a lot of new growth. I don't know... but I'm skeptical about the the comb method when texlaxing. My former stylist never used a comb and I've noticed that my ends (that are trimmed of relaxed hair) curl up. I mostly see waves nowadays... then again I still have a small amount of relaxed ends. I don't know what to think. Right now I'm thinking about going to my old stylist for touch ups. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I never use a comb when doing my texlax touchup; I just apply and smooth once with my fingers, then rinse....total time is 12 minutes. I'm not saying a comb shouldn't be used, I just don't use it because I feel I have more control by using my fingers.

It can be difficult to communicate to a stylist exactly the degree of underprocessing that you want. Since your hair is getting straighter than you desire (I would hate that!), have you considered doing it yourself?

I don't ever use a comb and I also never use straight relaxer. As for the waves, it is going to be hard to tell how curly your hair is until the relaxed ends are gone. My hair looks mostyl wavy along the length and then coils up at the ends.

It can be difficult to communicate to a stylist exactly the degree of underprocessing that you want. Since your hair is getting straighter than you desire (I would hate that!), have you considered doing it yourself?

I'm absolutely terrified to do it myself. However, my Aunt texturizes her own hair and has offered to do mine but I'm afraid of it turning into a disaster. But I'm more willing to let my Aunt do it, than doing it myself. I'm just worried of it being TOO under-processed if that makes sense.

I read on one of these threads somewhere that one woman's hair actually looks kinda straight until she puts a heavy protein treatment on it and it "reverts" back a little bit. But she does this right after applying the relaxer. Maybe you could just keep some on standby the next time you touch-up incase it gets too straight. And if it gets too curly, can't you just reapply in a few weeks as a corrective? Just guessing...?

I'm absolutely terrified to do it myself. However, my Aunt texturizes her own hair and has offered to do mine but I'm afraid of it turning into a disaster. But I'm more willing to let my Aunt do it, than doing it myself. I'm just worried of it being TOO under-processed if that makes sense.

Okay...well, if you like the way your aunt texturizes her hair, then maybe she can help with your next touchup. You could ask her to apply and smooth the relaxer for the amount of time that you want, to avoid being too underprocessed.

Back