Is Mane N Tail More of a Protein or Moisturizing Conditioner?

tryn2growmyhair

The reason that I ask is that I have been using Mane N Tail as part of the Cathy Howse conditioner recipe (i.e. add peppermint, olive oil, and coconut oil) with a bit of success. I always follow up this recipe with a cholesterol or some other moisturizer (grand dang, is cholesterol even a moisturizer? It's so confusing :wallbash: ) for more moisture even though I am not sure that this is necessary because the Cathy Howse conditioner recipe is quite moisturizing.

My question is, can I use this as my moisturizing conditioning treatment and then alternate it with AO GPB :perplexed ? The reason is that I have this huge bottle of GPB and have not been using it and don't want it to go to waste. I also LOVE the way the CH conditioner recipe makes my scalp tingle. Nothing is more soothing for my scalp. I tried another scalp tingler, Vitale reconstructor, but it had menthol and was not the same thing. So, I dont want to give up using CH's recipe once a week. I am fearful that I might be oding on the protein, though, becauase once a month I would alternate the AO GBP with Emergencee followed by a moisturizer. Emergencee works so well for me and gives me so much slip, btw.

Also, I usually wash my hair twice a week.

tryn2growmyhair said:
The reason that I ask is that I have been using Mane N Tail as part of the Cathy Howse conditioner recipe (i.e. add peppermint, olive oil, and coconut oil) with a bit of success. I always follow up this recipe with a cholesterol or some other moisturizer (grand dang, is cholesterol even a moisturizer? It's so confusing :wallbash: ) for more moisture even though I am not sure that this is necessary because the Cathy Howse conditioner recipe is quite moisturizing.

My question is, can I use this as my moisturizing conditioning treatment and then alternate it with AO GPB :perplexed ? The reason is that I have this huge bottle of GPB and have not been using it and don't want it to go to waste. I also LOVE the way the CH conditioner recipe makes my scalp tingle. Nothing is more soothing for my scalp. I tried another scalp tingler, Vitale reconstructor, but it had menthol and was not the same thing. So, I dont want to give up using CH's recipe once a week. I am fearful that I might be oding on the protein, though, becauase once a month I would alternate the AO GBP with Emergencee followed by a moisturizer. Emergencee works so well for me and gives me so much slip, btw.

Also, I usually wash my hair twice a week.

I used my GPB last night!
I normally wash with M/T, but this time I did a CW with the GPB and then I washed my hair with a little CON.

Why didnt I use my M/T conditioner? Because I was afraid I may be using too much protein since I have been surging and using M/T as a leave in.

M/T does have protein, not sure how much. I know GPB is considered a light protein and there are some people who use it weekly. As long as you are moisturizing your hair, you should be fine. When using GPB they say you dont have to use another moisturizing conditioner after it, I do because I want to make sure I am not OD'ing on protien. Hope this help. I am sure someone else can fill in what I have missed. :)

While I'm not scientifically sure, based on how my hair responds to it, I believe the Mane N Tail conditioner is more about protein than moisture. Most conditioners that claim to be "moisturizing" give my hair lots of slip. MNT's conditioner does not. It makes it feel very strong, so I think protein is the more obvious ingredient.

The bottle doesn't indicate this so I could be totally wrong, but I wouldn't consider MNT moisturizing. If it's working for you, by all means, continue to use it. I've never suffered from protein overload, and I'm using Surge and MNT. Additionally, I haven't read Cathy's book, so I don't know about her conditioning method.

If you have products you don't want to waste, by all means, use them! Unless you see your hair shedding or breaking excessively, finish them off :)

Hope that helps somewhat,
SG

I think the original MNT is more protein, less moisturizing, although it has properties that makes the hair soft as well as strong. I thing the Moisturizing version of MNT is more designed for that effect.

When I want moisture, I break out my Humecto (from the tub).

Back