Is it me, or am I the only one that's not very observing??

Amerie123

Okay, so here is the thing: I've been on LHCF now for about 8 months. I've tried like 70% (ie: growth aids, supplements, water filter, urine therapy, ayurveda, and a few other products, etc. the list goes on) of things that were raved about here, but still cant tell a dramatic difference like a lot of you can. I've been somewhat of a product junkie and all. But there is nothing that screams "staple" to me, nor can I say I can tell a huge change in my hair, or body as a whole. Whether its hair growth rate, thickness, or shine. Heck, I cant even tell you how long my hair grows in one month. :lol:

I understand the whole thing that what works for one, may not work for another, but it's like, when can I be like "WOW" to something. Nothing does it for me. Or may be it does, and I just cant tell the difference :perplexed. Well, hopefully someone here can tell me what I can do to help me to notice a big difference. This is why as of about two months ago, I am just a K.I.S.S. girl. It doesn't make since to me to do all of the extra, and the results aren't as great as I'd like, if I were to keep up such a regimen with the extras, esp. since I am a busy person.

But I will say this much, although it seems as though I am not the most observing person in the world, I can honestly say that the few things to me that made a difference wasn't in the products, but it was in techniques. Example: I know that my hair doesn't like very much manipulation (may be due to the over-processed ends that I still have). I can also say that my hair needs way more protein than moisture. But now my question would be, which is the best protein, and it's like they all seem to give about the same results. :ohwell:, I guess I'm done "venting". Is there anyone else like this? If not, please share advice. Thanks.

Last edited:

SmartyPants

You say that you've tried 70% of the stuff here, but how long are you sticking with the things you try? My rule is to stick with anything I try for six months (unless it's damaging and gets tossed as soon as I notice damage). Following this rule has (a) saved me money and (b) helped me come up with a regimen that is working for me.

MAMATO

The only thing I really learned on the board is Low Manipulation. And also I found a good detangler in Rusk Sensories leave-in. That is about it. Other than that, I've always kept it simple.

No product in the world is going to make you hair grow like crazy.
Look to ladies like Flowerhair and Chicelle. They are both beyond tailbone length by using patience, low manipulation, no heat, and moisture.

Be patient and treat your hair with a gentle hand and it will flourish.

LushLox

I think all you can do is be consistent, and give it time. You've already established that your hair likes protein, so you may have to tinker a bit until you find products that are good for you. All you can do is listen to your hair and give it what it needs.

vkb247

On one hand I thing trying 50-11 things is too much trouble and doing more doesn't necessarily produce better results. But my hair did reap the benefits of me trying to find out what products it liked because I was dcing and washing more frequently than ever and I got to know my hair very well. I tried to be very strategic about what I tried but it can be hard to tell what is working for you when you are trying so many different things. One member said she writes down exactly what products she uses during her wash, dc, etc. so she could keep track of it. I think that is a great idea but I would have to take a pic to remember what it looked like too!

As for the protein, have you tried using a natural protein like eggs or yogurt? That's what works for me.

ETA: I only use cheapie conditioners and gels but I don't have one staple either. It actually seems like my hair gets used to one thing and is happier when I switch. So I keep on cycling through products that I know work for me and every once and awhile I try a new one that has ingredients similar to others that I like.

Last edited:

ShantWhite

amazing, I've been a member here since June of last year and I was the same way for about a month. Then I began keeping a journal every week of what products I bought, used and also took pictures. It wasn't until I had a setback a few months ago that I got serious about this stuff and I referenced my journal. This is exactly what I wrote:...(oh, excuse the fact that I write as if I'm talking to someone :lachen:):

Okay, earlier this week I said I’d come back with a reggi… well, I’m still workin’ on it.

But the great news is that I am overly excited by the fact that I took the time to intensely study and search to find what ingredients work for my hair.

My hair HATES:

• Wheat! Any type of wheat germ or extract.
  • Parabyns – or at least they must be the very last thing on the list.
  • Vegetable Oil (hydrogenated) – or at least it must be middle/low on the list.
  • Keratin (hydrolyzed) – or at least it must be middle/low on the list.
My hair LIKES – OK WITH:

• Petrolatum
  • Mineral Oil
  • SLS – Sodium Lauryl or Laureth sulfates
My hair LOVES:

• Sulfur!
  • Coconut Oil
  • Olive Oil
  • Nettle
  • Horsetail
  • Almond Oil
  • Glycerin
  • Indian Ayurvedic Oils (Amla, Shikakai, Neem, Brahmi etc…)
  • ORS products –but not all J
  • Rosemary extract – but it must be middle/low on the list.
I sorted my products and all that mess I went out and bought due to PJ ism (and trying to replicate someone else’s hair on the board) was on a shelf by itself with all those ingredients that my hair hates!

Everything else was products that I was using before I found the board – with the exception of the Indian Ayurvedics. So for that, I’m not mad at feeling like I didn’t get my $6.50 worth!–lol Those products have panned out to be wonderful!!! Now I have to lock in a way to fuse them together with my old tried and true.

metro_qt

sounds like you're searching for your hair's holy grail...
i know it took me 2 whole years before i found what techniques and products my hair really liked....

before that, i was steadily journaling and taking pictures of my progress, and e-stalking people's fotkis....

ebonylocs

A lot of people exaggerate their reviews. I take raves with a grain of salt, and advise that you do too. It's easy to get carried away in bandwagons and imagining spectacular results.

I think simplicity is key.

msa

But I will say this much, although it seems as though I am not the most observing person in the world, I can honestly say that the few things to me that made a difference wasn't in the products, but it was in techniques.

I just wanted to say, I agree with you and I think you're on the right track. I personally don't think hair needs any special products, just regular tlc. And retaining length is influenced far more by technique, IMO.

Just be patient. As long as what you're doing isn't hurting your hair, keep doing it.

luckiestdestiny

You say that you've tried 70% of the stuff here, but how long are you sticking with the things you try? My rule is to stick with anything I try for six months (unless it's damaging and gets tossed as soon as I notice damage). Following this rule has (a) saved me money and (b) helped me come up with a regimen that is working for me.

Agreed. You have to commit to long term if something is working. Also you have to think about retaining. You could have tons of growth but rent retaining as much so you don't know. agree with the rules above to. If something is damaging get rid of it immediate, otherwise you need to stick to it. Example for me is chlorella. I had some immediate benefits from chlorella but thats because I committed to organic eating for over 6 months by the time I took it. In addition three months later I'm just now noticing super long eyelashess (though they grew some in the beginning) and more growth spurts. It takes time and commitment to get things to work.

Kawaii1

Simplicity is key. It took me about a year to know what works but I found it. It is simple too. A good moisturizer, wash every week, protein twice a month, moisturuze and seal everyt other day. I am now working on my techniques but I can flat iron and blowdry like a pro. Just gotta get the roller set down.

Low manipulation and stretching, great things!! I have learned a lot. More then just products but just what my hair needs. That is the main thing.

Luscious Locks

I feel the same way. I still have yet to find my true jump off. Just when I think something is working or me me it them seems to taper off. I'm actually in the process of creating my own hair ritual. I believe that a strict regi and good/gentle techniques (detangling, washing, styling) are the gateway to growing a keeping hair on your head. More specifically, I'm talking about babying my hair. I've just committed myself to a regi. My hair, like yours, loves protein. Mmm....

Sundays and Thursdays: (I wash this frequently to keep my scalp clean and stimulated, and to keep my hair well nourished)

Prepoo with Oil: Either Doo Gro Oil or Phyto Nectar Oil
Shampoo 3 times: Once with Cream of Nature to breakdown the oils. Another time with cream of nature to clean the hair. Once with Phytorhum to strengthen my hair. I lightly massage it in and just let it sit on my hair. I also finger comb my hair very slowly and carefully with the shampoo in.
Rinse
Deep condition: I apply the conditioner and massage it in root to tip. I part my hair to make sure all strands are covered with conditioner. Then I cover with a shower cap and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. At the end I gently finger comb then rinse.

This ritual/regi has reduced my breakage by 70%. No lie. If my hair is really breaking then I'll use Joico DPR for 5 minutes before my deep conditioner.

Hope this helps. I based my regimen off of the idea that hair should be pampered and nourished throughout each step. I basically always have something nourishing on my hair at all times. I don't leave anything to chance.

If you hair likes proteins it will probably love conditioning proteins like Wheat and Soy. These are generally very pleasant to most people's hair. And products with Tocopherol/Vitamin E are generally very softening. Panthenol is very thickening and strengthening. Good luck on finding what works for you. I've been at it as long as you, and nothing has become my holy grail yet either. I've searched high and low. But I am committing to this regi for the next 4 months. No deviation whatsoever.

mariofmagdal

Keeping it simple is the way to go. My greatest find since being on the boards are Chlorella/Spirulina, and I use them for health benefits. I became somewhat of a product juckie, I don't use more than half of the stuff currently on my shelves. (I am cured of pj-ism) My life is much GREENER now. :grin:

ceebee3

OP, I'm glad you posted this. I was thinking the same thing the other day. I started my journey to better hair in January and it just didn't make sense to me to try 50-11 products so I started with the basics and decided to go from there. I just rollerset and deep condition every week, add some protein and use leave in moisturizers but I haven't experienced anything that made me say wow. I mean I have to stick with simple because there is no other way to tell what works and what doesn't. I figure if my hair is retaining length than I must be doing something right. The only time i try a new product is if I run out of an old one and need a replacement.

Amerie123

I feel the same way. I still have yet to find my true jump off. Just when I think something is working or me me it them seems to taper off. I'm actually in the process of creating my own hair ritual. I believe that a strict regi and good/gentle techniques (detangling, washing, styling) are the gateway to growing a keeping hair on your head. More specifically, I'm talking about babying my hair. I've just committed myself to a regi. My hair, like yours, loves protein. Mmm....

Sundays and Thursdays: (I wash this frequently to keep my scalp clean and stimulated, and to keep my hair well nourished)

Prepoo with Oil: Either Doo Gro Oil or Phyto Nectar Oil
Shampoo 3 times: Once with Cream of Nature to breakdown the oils. Another time with cream of nature to clean the hair. Once with Phytorhum to strengthen my hair. I lightly massage it in and just let it sit on my hair. I also finger comb my hair very slowly and carefully with the shampoo in.
Rinse
Deep condition: I apply the conditioner and massage it in root to tip. I part my hair to make sure all strands are covered with conditioner. Then I cover with a shower cap and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. At the end I gently finger comb then rinse.

This ritual/regi has reduced my breakage by 70%. No lie. If my hair is really breaking then I'll use Joico DPR for 5 minutes before my deep conditioner.

Hope this helps. I based my regimen off of the idea that hair should be pampered and nourished throughout each step. I basically always have something nourishing on my hair at all times. I don't leave anything to chance.

If you hair likes proteins it will probably love conditioning proteins like Wheat and Soy. These are generally very pleasant to most people's hair. And products with Tocopherol/Vitamin E are generally very softening. Panthenol is very thickening and strengthening. Good luck on finding what works for you. I've been at it as long as you, and nothing has become my holy grail yet either. I've searched high and low. But I am committing to this regi for the next 4 months. No deviation whatsoever.

that is soo true at the bolded.

oh, and to those that said give the things some time to work, I believe that I have given time to like all the things that i've tried. But, I've just come to the realization that everything isn't going to be as hype as people may make them seem for me. So, i'm just glad that i am cured of my PJism and I keep it simple.

rainbowknots

No product in the world is going to make you hair grow like crazy.
Look to ladies like Flowerhair and Chicelle. They are both beyond tailbone length by using patience, low manipulation, no heat, and moisture.

Be patient and treat your hair with a gentle hand and it will flourish.

Can I by this patience online :lachen:. I have none whatsoever. I just read this thread where a member got 1.5 inches in 3.5 weeks so I ran to my mirror to try and length check my 6 week post new growth, and it's barely the width of my index finger. I think I have the slowest growing hair on the planet :sad:. I'm not looking for a miracle or anything, I just want to find some magic potion to make my NL hair WL in the next couple of months :lachen:(bein' silly). But on a serious note, I have noticed that my hair is a lot healthier than it was before I joined the forum. I used to have the most dry and brittle hair known to mankind but by trying different products and techniques here and there, I'm slowly (very very very slowly) reaching my goal. Um...I think I just rambled there so I'm gonna go now LOL.