Is It anything I can do besides call a plumber?

SimpleKomplexity

I wash my hair in the tub. I had absolutely no problem with this at college, but not since i'm back home I have completely stopped up the tub. We used the plunger and a whole bunch of hair came up. I guess it's been collecting lil bit by lil bit since I've been here. *sigh* It's like 2 inches of water in the tub. Is there any way I can up stop the drain?

It caused both tubs to be stopped up so of course my mother is pissed off. :ohwell: If it was just slow going down the drain I would use baking soda and vinegar, but since it's water collected in the tub I don't know what I could do. Any suggestions?

This is the type of drain I have
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Bathtub_drain.jpg

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Get a drain snake from Home Depot. I got a bunch of hair out of my drain which caused it to clog up. should be less than $10.

While you are there, get a drain NET to catch all those hairs before they go down the drain.

winona

I have had problems with clogged drains and I have always went to the plumbing store and bought this stuff called "Thift". It is basically professional strength drain cleaner. The main ingredient is lye:) This stuff is the absolute BOMB. When I went to visit my sister last summer I bought some from the local plumbing store there and used it in her teenage girls bathroom. Weeks later she called me back and was asking how did I fix her bathroom tub.

Bnster

There is things like Draino (liquid to remove clogs). You need about 2 bottles of the stuff. Use it when you know no one needs to use the tub - eg just b4 bed. Pour it down the drain slowly. Later (the minimum time is listed on the bottle) pour hot water down the drain. It should solve your problem. Also it is recommended to pour a little of the draino time to time as a preventative measure. Other thing you can get once you are unclog is a drain filter you can get at the dollar store to trap the hairs.

This link how to make homemade draino
Homemade Draino

I just buy the stuff if need be.

HeavenlySkies

Drano doesn't work! It's this stuff at walmart around the tools and supplies and on it it says DISSOLVES HAIR AND GREASE CLOGS man this was the only thing that unclogged my drain ever and I've been through mad dranos and liquid plumbers and all that bs. But yeah when i find the bottle ill tell you what it says on the label exactly.

Monaleezza

If you need to empty your bath use a mop. Mop up/out the 2inches of water and then you can start to tackle the blockage in the pipe itself.
The snake sounds like a good idea. Or if a plunger worked at 1st try it again, this time in conjunction with one of the dissolving products suggested. And make sure you block the overflow while you're plunging, it makes ALL the difference.

Lastly, if you're losing that much hair you need to take on a new method of washing it so that so much isn't coming out.

Amoreofcurls

If you need to empty your bath use a mop. Mop up/out the 2inches of water and then you can start to tackle the blockage in the pipe itself.
The snake sounds like a good idea. Or if a plunger worked at 1st try it again, this time in conjunction with one of the dissolving products suggested. And make sure you block the overflow while you're plunging, it makes ALL the difference.

Lastly, if you're losing that much hair you need to take on a new method of washing it so that so much isn't coming out.

This as well.....I learned that detangling and removing shed hair in the shower is a no go if I wanna keep my drain clear for a long time...Now I dry detangle and remove most of my shed hair BEFORE washing, and it takes months opposed to a week or two for my drain to start clogging up....

Fhrizzball

Why not so it wont happen again get that drain catcher to catch the hair? I'm cheap so when that happened to me I used baking soda and vinegar and used a wire hanger to get the rest. I would use Drain-o as a last resort as it can be damaging over time.

Charz

Sinister Minister
Drano doesn't work! It's this stuff at walmart around the tools and supplies and on it it says DISSOLVES HAIR AND GREASE CLOGS man this was the only thing that unclogged my drain ever and I've been through mad dranos and liquid plumbers and all that bs. But yeah when i find the bottle ill tell you what it says on the label exactly.

It may not work FOR YOU but it works FOR ME.

ActionActress

I wash my hair in the tub. I had absolutely no problem with this at college, but not since i'm back home I have completely stopped up the tub. We used the plunger and a whole bunch of hair came up. I guess it's been collecting lil bit by lil bit since I've been here. *sigh* It's like 2 inches of water in the tub. Is there any way I can up stop the drain?

It caused both tubs to be stopped up so of course my mother is pissed off. :ohwell: If it was just slow going down the drain I would use baking soda and vinegar, but since it's water collected in the tub I don't know what I could do. Any suggestions?

This is the type of drain I have
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Bathtub_drain.jpg

My tub does the same.... I use DRAINO
.:grin:

classychic1908

Get a zip it sold at walmart, or a wire hanger. Also make sure you use a hair catcher for the drain when you wash. The zip it is like 2 bucks and you don't have to deal with any caustic chemicals.

lovingmyhair2

WOW - I have never heard of the Zip It but that seems like the way to go - GROSS:perplexed:perplexed I need to invest in one of those, I usally use liquid plumer.

Allandra

I always wash my hair in the shower, and I've NEVER had a clogged drain. I always use my hair catcher. Please be careful what you pour down your drains because some of that stuff (the harsh ones) can cause problems with the drainage pipes. When my aunt had a clogged drain, she removed the hair with a Zip It, and then she poured baking soda then vinegar in the drain, and it worked well.

Once you get your drains unclogged, start using hair catchers.

Crystal

I have had problems with clogged drains and I have always went to the plumbing store and bought this stuff called "Thift". It is basically professional strength drain cleaner. The main ingredient is lye:) This stuff is the absolute BOMB. When I went to visit my sister last summer I bought some from the local plumbing store there and used it in her teenage girls bathroom. Weeks later she called me back and was asking how did I fix her bathroom tub.

That stuff cleans your tub too. Like if you have a bunch of residue from dying or shampooing your hair.. it cleans your tub with little effort, now I see it's because it's LYE...

Jewell

I used to wash my hair by bending over the side of the tub, or use the shower when I lived at my parents' in SC...they had a septic tank and my hair would always clog up the drain. I started using a plastic drain guard to catch the hair before it went down (it just sits over the drain and catches hair). To get rid of clogs, they sell those long "zip lines" that are flexible plastic or metal and can be sent down the drain to grab clogs like a pipe cleaner. Various companies make then under differing names.

A good max strength drain solution like Drano max (you might need to use the whole bottle depending on how severe you think the clog is, and let it sit for about 20 mins to dissolve hair and whatever else is down there) Then, follow up with running hot water down for a few mins. Drain cleaners are made of a corrosive/caustic chemical combo and often smell like Clorox.

They will eat through fabric if they get on clothing, so be careful when pouring it (I ruined a nice black skirt due to splashback from pouring Drano into the tub). Drano or some similar industrial strength drain cleaner is your best bet if you don't want to pull out nasty clogs with a pipe cleaner (or "Zip It" as I see it called), or call the plumber! For prevention, pick up a drain cover that catches hair (so much easier than worrying about water back-up due to clogs)!

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I can't stand to have water covering the top of my feet while I'm standing in the in the shower/tub!!!!! :nono: My hair was causing the problem! :perplexed

Ladies, please buy one of these from Amazon, if you have a drain similar to mine.

http://http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tL5fa59iL._SS40_.jpg

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Sorry, had to get on my phone to post pix of today's horror.

ForumRunner_20130614_174833.jpg

ForumRunner_20130614_174852.jpg

ForumRunner_20130614_175027.jpg

Disgusting, gross, nasty, and yucky stuff!

Thank Gawd for Zip It!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

napbella

Zip It. Cheap and effective. Get that drain catcher thingy too so you don't have the same problem again. Good luck.

AmiJay

I recently moved and I don't want to wash my hair in the shower until I get a hair catcher. I've been washing in the sink and keeping the drainer in.