Inventing/Concocting New Products

MissCrawford

So I like the idea of some regular hair products but the ingredients are awful. Do some of you replicate these products using natural/ organic ingredients. I don't use silicones, parabens etc.... I would like to try but I'm not sure about how to use stabilizers, thickeners etc.... I thought about just mixing the basics like oils, water, butters and waxes in a food processor then seeing what happens. I have know idea :drunk:what I'm doing but willing to try. Any ideas?

MsKinkycurl

Unless you're trying to start you own product line I would say that it's best to start off doctoring store product with natural ingredients first before jump straight to working from scratch.

I've made an aubrey organics HSR replacement using everyday shea conditioner and oils.

Look at the ingredients of the products you like and dislike to figure out what your hair likes.
See how the products change with each new ingredient.
Also look up what the functions of the ingredients are in scientifically backed resources, especially those in your favorite products. HTH

coolhandlulu

Struttin' and stuntin'
Formulating products at home can be a fun hobby but also expensive. Best thing to do is educate yourself. Study ingredient lists of your favorite natural products. Figure out ingredients that you like and ditch those that you don't. Swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com is a good place to start. I'm sure others can suggest some more sites. Learn the basics of formulating and the math involved. Take time reading and taking notes. This will save you money and time. And don't forget the preservatives! Have fun....

MissCrawford

Great ideas and advice. I am looking at some organic hair products to see if I can make want I really want.

fatimablush

I started doing this..I bought conditioner bases from ingredientstodiefor.com and texasnaturals.com. I really like doing that. I got tired of buying those small bottles of Wen.

mscheergrl

Embracing happiness
I make my own flaxseed gel and it's the best gel I've ever used. I'm inspired, as well, to eventually make all my own products. Like I did with the flaxseed gel, I will probably rely on Youtube tutorials for any other homemade diy products and then tweak the recipe to be tailored to my hair.

MsKinkycurl

MsKinkycurl Pleae share your recipe!

No problem, its a mix of everydayshea unsented conditioner, wheatgerm oil ( enough to turn the conditioner into a color similar to the ORS replenish conditioner color maybe slightly darker) and a small amount of argan oil, like a teaspoon or less per application.

It's a thinner consistency than AOHSR but it makes my hair "stupid soft" for days lol. These were the words of a woman I met who felt my day 3 hair.

I only use the conditioner and seal with a shea butter mix that is basically Naptural85's recipe.