Impact of Poo/DC with -Cone Based Prods

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Question: For those -cone sensitive, do you find that pooing and/or deep conditioning with products containing -cones impact your hair's ability to accept moisture after your poo/DC session?

Situation:
Recently, I experienced unruly, coarse hair that just would not accept moisture for nothing. In trying to determine why, I assumed it was -cones because this resulted after pooing with Hair One (amodimethicone) AND DCing with Silk Elements Megasilk Moisturizing Treatment (amodimethicone) -- the megasilk was the only new product addition, all other items used during this session had been used previously with success. To correct and restore my hair's health, I clarified and DC'd with a protein/moisture blend, using absolutely no -cones. SN: I find that my hair does well with pooing with Hair One and DCing with a no -cone conditioner. Maybe pooing AND DCing with -cone based prods was just a little too much for my hair.

Please chime in on how your hair responds to -cones in your poo/condish.

Last edited:

lwilliams1922

great topic!

I have questions about cones myself. I think I did well when I stopped using products with cones, THEN I tried WEN and that was good. Now I'm thinking I will cowash with it & in the summer also use it as a leave in (my theory is that my hair should only get glycerine products in the summer).

As far as cones go, I suspect there are some that my hair tolerates and others it does not. Recently I have been doing well with DC mixes from the kitchen. So perhaps that is along the lines of DCing without cones?? I don't know if my hair was all that using the WEN As a DC but I am doing well with the Aloe and coconut oil DC.

Interested to hear from others...

Dposh167

do u have fine hair?

When i started my journey i could see a huge difference when i used cones...and when i didn't. After 2 days....my hair got dry and it seemed like no moisturizer was penetrating. So i cut down on cones a lot. I'm actually really anal about what cones are in my conditioners or not.

it also can depend on what cones your using. amodimethicone is a pretty heavy cone compared to others....especially when its placed within the first 4 ingredients. Some people can deal with it...and some people can't. I usually avoid this cone with my conditioners unless its super low on the ingredient list.

u may still can use cones in your DC's. They're still good for smoothing the hair and allowing you slip. But u may have to find a dc with not a heavy cone. Or pick one where the cone is lower on the ingredient list.

as for poos...i don't find too many of mine with heavy cones in them

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
do u have fine hair?

When i started my journey i could see a huge difference when i used cones...and when i didn't. After 2 days....my hair got dry and it seemed like no moisturizer was penetrating. So i cut down on cones a lot. I'm actually really anal about what cones are in my conditioners or not.

it also can depend on what cones your using. amodimethicone is a pretty heavy cone compared to others....especially when its placed within the first 4 ingredients. Some people can deal with it...and some people can't. I usually avoid this cone with my conditioners unless its super low on the ingredient list.

u may still can use cones in your DC's. They're still good for smoothing the hair and allowing you slip. But u may have to find a dc with not a heavy cone. Or pick one where the cone is lower on the ingredient list.

Thx you for your input, no I don't have fine hair. I would say it's medium density.

lwilliams1922

do u have fine hair?

I think my hair is medium density as well.

Right now Panteen is working well (as a leave in). I just checked and it contains dimethicone. The WEN does have amodimethicone (in the middle of the list).

Anyone know of a list of the properties/benefits/risks to the different cones?

Dposh167

from what i know dimethicone is lighter than the other one mentioned in this thread. the amo- one