I'm going to try a stylist who...

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
specializes in natural hair care and was wondering what I should ask her?

I am transitioning and thought this would be the best way to go...what kind of questions should I ask to make sure she's the right fit for my hair? Right now, I'm doing the braid challenge and I know I will need care between installs. In fact, I can see pretty early on that I will need my ends trimmed when I take them down.

Any tips on how to "interview" her?

loolalooh

Ask her:

*Is she scissor happy?
*Does she know anything about natural hair?

J/k ... but kinda not really.

I would do more looking than asking:

*Look at her clients; how does their hair look?
*Look at her own hair; does it look healthy?
*Look at her station; the kind of tools and products she uses.
*What are her 2 cents about transitioning; run if she says it can't be done.
*Ask about her credentials and how long she's been specializing in natural hair care.

HTH.

PPGbubbles

Ask her
-if she has helped other clients transition before
-tell her about how you feel about trims/ dusting so it is clear from the bat that you do not want her to remove length unless you ask her too
- discuss the "look" you wish to achieve and see if she can accomodate that. Will you want her to press or style your hair or do you just want your hair blowdried and trimmed between installs?

- discuss how she will detangle your hair! this is a biggie! If she is not patient with your hair you will loose all the growth from your braiding and a great deal of thickness. Especially since you will have a line of demarcation

this is all I can think of OP, hopefully others will chime in!

Last edited:

PPGbubbles

Bumping for U OP..... I know some of U ladies can give her some more advice...esp those who have transitioned via stylist

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Thanks ppg...but even so, I think what you guys have given me will be enough...I sincerely appreciate your responses...