im fed up. feel like shaving or relaxing

Cendra said:
Don't do anything rash. Maybe you should just bun or keep your hair out of your way for now until you decide what to do. I think it's normal for more knots to appear as your hair gets that long too....wish I had some better advice....but just don't do anything "in the moment" that you might regret.

Hang it there. It's only hair! :yep:

your words to me is help so dont worry about.big advice. thank you for reading .
btw bunning.doesnt do me good either . im telling you this hair is complicated .

DarkJoy said:
coolsista-paris, when was your last trim/dust/ whatever?

That usually buys my fine strands about 3 weeks before they start snapping again.... pardon me if you already said and I missed it.

i dust every 10 weeks id say. last one (more à trim )was march or april ( i bought à book and i need to start writing everything i do to my hair)

thanks for the advice .
as im trying to low manipulate and not wash à lot cause it frizzes,yeah i only moisturize till thé next complete wash day...its only once à month i protein.. i dont.really know how im gonna add protein on conrows between big wash. i bought aphoghee 2 min..which seems like à joke on my hair....i also bought main n tail condit and shampoo....

i need to work out à plan to protein between wash day.

You can use aphogee keratin spray: http://www.sallybeauty.com/keratin-reconstructor/SBS-670574,default,pd.html

kellistarr said:
I think constant cornrows on fine hair is a no-no. If you are going to continue with this routine, I'd make a few changes.

Cornrows are quite the manipulation and don't necessarily make your hair stronger. Even if you're keeping it tucked away, it still needs washing (I'd toss the shampoo and try a good cleanser) you still need to deep condition, preferably with something that has some protein and you still need to keep your ends clipped. Knots usually mean hair needs a trimming. You still need to moisturize. Hair doesn't like the same thing all the time, so it's not going to like those cornrows. Are you changing up your cornrow pattern?

Also, scalp needs air, it needs to breathe. Last, but not least, forget about length. Length will come when it's ready. Wear the hair that you've got. No manipulation means lots of hair shedding. Hair sheds daily and if you're not manipulating, once you do, big time hair shed.

yes when took them off i had shed hairs. breakage was the detangling i guess.

small conrows are à nono to my hair. but when i do 6 of them everything is fine. easy detangling on wash day. i think i will start again to wash in braids. all that is too much work.... but médium to big conrows is the best ps ever had. i need to use protein between wash day.

i was better with washing 1 à month and cowashing once between (on 15th day) . too much washing is not good for me...i guess

its just a spray with keratin, so you use it just like you would use braid spray, i tried to balance the two so i dont end up with protein overload

brittle_hair said:
its just a spray with keratin, so you use it just like you would use braid spray, i tried to balance the two so i dont end up with protein overload

oh i see. you mean balancing with your usual moisturizer right? i needbto figure out how im gonna douse protein.between wash day.

@coolsista-paris have u considered texlaxing? You could still have volume and thickness but it'd be easier to detangle. I was natural and the detangling sessions took HOURS, and i just don't think thats worth it. I was loosing hair and i couldn't do the styles i liked (like slicked-back) styles, so I made the decision that was best for MY lifestyle and my hair. I'm not saying relaxing is your only alternative but maybe you should think about what you really want and wants best for your hair.
HTH

co-signing on the texlax!

I hope that I read this correctly. You have had your hair in cornrows for 4 weeks. When taken down, you have excessive shedding/breaking. Did you ever consider that we naturally lose between 50 -100 strands of hair a day and this massive amount that you speak of is the normal amount that would have been lost during daily manipulations? The only difference is yours is occurring all at once. You probably have the normal amount of shedding/breakage but it looks like a lot because you have a month's worth as compared to a week's worth. Continue with your good hair practices and save the amount of hair lost from month to month to see if the amount is larger than the previous month. Hang in there sweetie.

Have you thought about ditching the wig and just sport the cornrows? Maybe your scalp needs to breathe and be free from the wig. Your natural hair is so gorgeous. I looked at your fotki and got inspired.:yep:

Have you tried Chelating or Clarifying your hair?

If you have buildup it would be hard to maintain your protein/moisture balance.

Sistaslick says this should be the first step to get breakage under control as well as maintain balance.

JazzyOleBabe said:
I hope that I read this correctly. You have had your hair in cornrows for 4 weeks. When taken down, you have excessive shedding/breaking. Did you ever consider that we naturally lose between 50 -100 strands of hair a day and this massive amount that you speak of is the normal amount that would have been lost during daily manipulations? The only difference is yours is occurring all at once. You probably have the normal amount of shedding/breakage but it looks like a lot because you have a month's worth as compared to a week's worth. Continue with your good hair practices and save the amount of hair lost from month to month to see if the amount is larger than the previous month. Hang in there sweetie.

wow. 50-100 à day.ok seeing it like that seems like the ball i had is not all that bad. it always stesses me out loosing hair. having à ball of hair. it makes me sad

DDTexlaxed said:
Have you thought about ditching the wig and just sport the cornrows? Maybe your scalp needs to breathe and be free from the wig. Your natural hair is so gorgeous. I looked at your fotki and got inspired.:yep:

thank you.
as soon as i get home i take off the wig to let hair breath. on days off i dont wear them. at work i cant style like i want.....so thats one of the reason i.bought à straight bob wig at the first place

HairNinja said:

Sistaslick says this should be the first step to get breakage under control as well as maintain balance.

i dont think i clarify. i shampoo once à month. thought that takes all the buildup out.

what do we have to use to.clarify? is baking soda enough ?

Depending on your products, regular shampoo doesn't take all the product out. There's shampoo just for clarifying. My fine hairs get pretty mad when I use it. Strips everything out your hair. Mine clumps and gets hard in protest :( You have to follow with a very moisturizing DC after using something like that.

Some worry about baking soda but my hair prefers this to clarify and I've not had issues. I always follow with an ACV rinse to smooth and close the cuticle.

Ohh and btw, you relax that fine hair and you will be back to sl by the end of the yyear and REALLY complaining then. Fine hair and relaxers generally = disaster. So hang in there.

This is exactly what I was about to post, not to scare you/everyones hair is different, but thats definitely a possibility with relaxing. I have fine hair too (4b) and even tho my natural hair isn't the healthiest compared to some (I still get breakage, splits, etc), its way healthier than my relaxed hair was. I got to APL with somewhat little effort as a natural. I put about 5 years of effort attempting to have healthy relaxed hair and all it could get to was SL no matter how careful I was with it.

Hair Ninja made a great point, I clarify at least once monthly with Eulcence Clarifying shampoo. A much needed process because like HairNinja said its hard to keep a balance because your hair isn't recieving the treatments.

and heres my two cent on shedding. I had to calm myself down because I've made bsb kinda and I had to realized that the hair I was shedding was longer and that made the amount look like more than it was. I can only imgaine the ball of hair shedded from a wl head.

CurlsBazillion said:
Hair Ninja made a great point, I clarify at least once monthly with Eulcence Clarifying shampoo. A much needed process because like HairNinja said its hard to keep a balance because your hair isn't recieving the treatments.

and heres my two cent on shedding. I had to calm myself down because I've made bsb kinda and I had to realized that the hair I was shedding was longer and that made the amount look like more than it was. I can only imgaine the ball of hair shedded from a wl head.

thank you. i definetly need to add clarifying to my regi ...

today im.feeling.better With my hair id say... i tried it out at home (cant do this at work of course...they will send me back to comb my hair before accepting me.to start. )

forgot thé pic....im trying to be positive and finding à way to cheer up.trying to not focus on lenght .but thats so hard. i want it so bad!!!!

ForumRunner_20120606_001332.jpg

yeah it took long but i finally reached apl at last .wow what à fight .

usually i protein 1 month or 6 weeks . i conrow under wig. moisturise hair especially ends. very low manipulation.
ive been cowashing this month. i only shampoo once à month with dc too... i.massage my scalp mostly.everyday . only drink.water and juice .i eat healthily.

so....this is annoying . im loosing patience

maybe that is what the problem is. I was only co washing and no shampoo and I started having that problem. now since you got the protein under control how about you do moisturizing deep conditioning and clarify once a month and shampoo once a week. it done wonders for me. and I find that on my fine hair conrows are too harsh for my ends I would get split ends all the time. I find that twist at night is better for me and then I co wash the next day and do a wash n go. why don't you do a wet bun?

oh and a fresh trim had to be done too.

Last edited:
Back