Im a little perplexed on protective styling and natural hair

LifeafterLHCF

Ok I just started wearing my natural hair out since I bc in 07.I want to do braids bc Im scared of wearing wigs again..my nape and edges had been devasting...however Im scared of braid since my hair isnt real thick.

I say this girl on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/goldenme32#p/u/0/HgmCoaobq4E who did her micros with synethic hair since Im in college and cant afford all that remy hair or good hair you ladies use.

But then I say this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLPLnZNdkCA which scares the heck out of me.

I really want more diversity in my hair and I dont know what to do.I dont want to damage my hair but I cant afford to pay anyone either..Any ideas or thoughts would be great.I know you cant base your decisons off others but I have had braids in the past and they did pull my hair esp around the edges.I just want to be pretty with some hair..

Have you considered some twists or twist outs, without extensions? These are easy styles, once you get the hang of it. Fingercoils and box braids/braid outs are also nice options. There are a lot of options out there.

If you have damage to your nape and edges then you may want to steer clear of braids because they put additional stress on your hair. Twistouts and braids out are a good alternative so is wearing your hair in twists. When I was in college, I could always find girls who could do hair and they would only charge me like $20, so I suggest finding somebody on campus to do your twists or help you figure out your "signature style" and eventually figure out how to do it yourself! hth:grin:

I have edge issues and I have fine, not that dense 3c-4a hair
i wear braids and twists a lot
However, I do them myself
I also use synthetic hair to save money
When I do my hair, I dont do the edges or nape very tight. Also, I try to avoid pony tail styles while my hair is braided or twisted
Then every night, I rub castor oil on my edges and massage for a few minutes.
Also, try taking some vitamins like biotin and garlic, which can help thicken and reduce shedding

I don't socialize with my color ppl on campus..that and I work alot so they arent in my area..and from what I did see when i got on campus they are more than 20 dollars wanting 40 and up.

I already take biotin,bcomplex,omega 3-6-9 for health of hair internally..

Twist on my hair don't look right my scalp looks weird..I think I will have to stick to my puffs and buns..I just wanted to look a little diverse but I m so scared of too much tension..

Thank you ladies.

I had natural hair for until recently and twists with your own hair or synthetic hair that won't suck the life from your hair are great. You can do buns, ponytails, wear it down. Also if you don't plan on washing your hair (only cleansing your scalp) you can get a smooth texture of hair to give it a more polished look with less product.

Also: You don't socialize with your color people? And your screen name...is that supposed to be an irony or an idiom? Pardon me if I'm missing something. English isn't my mother tongue. But it seems like you're insulting yourself?

I had natural hair for until recently and twists with your own hair or synthetic hair that won't suck the life from your hair are great. You can do buns, ponytails, wear it down. Also if you don't plan on washing your hair (only cleansing your scalp) you can get a smooth texture of hair to give it a more polished look with less product.

Also: You don't socialize with your color people? And your screen name...is that supposed to be an irony or an idiom? Pardon me if I'm missing something. English isn't my mother tongue. But it seems like you're insulting yourself?

The AA on my campus arent the most open minded ppl I know..they are I know intelligent AA out there but I havent come across too many on my college campus..

And your screen name...is that supposed to be an irony or an idiom? Pardon me if I'm missing something. English isn't my mother tongue. But it seems like you're insulting yourself?

I personally think OP's screen names plays on the term "Not just a pretty face" implying that there's more to her than just her looks.

OP, is that what you meant?

And AnsbachFrizzpuff, does your name have a meaning? (I get the Frizzpuff part :D)

I personally think OP's screen names plays on the term "Not just a pretty face" implying that there's more to her than just her looks.

And AnsbachFrizzpuff, does your name have a meaning? (I get the Frizzpuff part :D)

Your right on the money Dak...

Oh ok yes I'm familiar with the saying not just a pretty face but I never seen it just not a pretty face. And I was thinking why someone would refer to themself like that?

Really, its sad that your own people would act that way towards you. But it happens :(

Ansbach is my home town. Its in the Bavaria part of Germany.

Maybe you can do like..a modified micro braid?
Like instead of the traditional micro braids like the one in the horror story video, you would just do them bigger, and braid a little past the ends of your real hair. That way, the tension would be less, and your ends would be protected in the braids. I wore braids like that all through high school and didn't have problems with my edges, even though I do have fine and thin hair, and "soft" edges to boot. Hilariously, once I stopped doing braids, then my edge issues started. :rolleyes:

Here's what mine looked like:

picture.php

That's about how big I got them done in the front. My edges look ashy, but that's because it was cold that day. :lachen:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mine were done with synthetic hair as well, and I was able to go from top of ear to shoulder in a little less than two years, and then maintain that length for another two. And that was with horrible hair practices.

If you want braids, I think you should get them. As long as you modify them to suit your needs, they can be a great protective style. If everyone decided not to do something because of someone else's horror story, nobody would be doing anything at all. :lol:

I thought I had a protective style going for two weeks and then, wow...
After I washed and DC-ed, my ends were a hot mess!
I can't leave any bit of my hair exposed. My hair MUST stay twisted and tucked UGH or bunned. Talk about boring. I can't wait to be my blowdry on next year.
Protective style = protected ends.

I don't socialize with my color ppl on campus..that and I work alot so they arent in my area..and from what I did see when i got on campus they are more than 20 dollars wanting 40 and up.

I already take biotin,bcomplex,omega 3-6-9 for health of hair internally..

Twist on my hair don't look right my scalp looks weird..I think I will have to stick to my puffs and buns..I just wanted to look a little diverse but I m so scared of too much tension..

Thank you ladies.

You don't need to socialize with anybody
just if you see a girl with braids or twists ask them where they got their hair done and if you could have the stylist's contact info. People asked me all the time at school. Who knows, you may make a friend out of it.
Also I highly recommend youtube if you want to learn how to do braids or twists. It's way cheaper and you'll save a lot of money in the long run.

Okay you have to modify styles in a way the suites you.... for instance I have naturally thin edges.... been that way since birth

So now I never attach facke hair to my edges when I cornrow or braid. I leave my edges out of weaves as well. i have not had ant setbacks since doing this and I have been PSn it most of 2009. I actually have seen a lot of growth in this area.

You have to ensure a stylist does not apply too much tension and that can be avoided by self styling. Another benefit to self styling is that you can now afford better quality hair :)

But I have seen alot of growth doing this.

Last edited:
Oh ok yes I'm familiar with the saying not just a pretty face but I never seen it just not a pretty face. And I was thinking why someone would refer to themself like that?

Really, its sad that your own people would act that way towards you. But it happens :(

I lived in Ansbach when I was little! My dad was stationed there!

Pretty, do you know how to braid? I've done my own "micro-weaves" and kinky twists in the past. The micro-weave was when I micro'd the front of my hair and sowed in tracks so it looked like I had micros, but it took 1/8 of the time. The kinky twists I learned how to do off youtube. I watched 4 or 5 different people do theirs, took little bits of each of their techniques and found something that worked for me. With it being winter break now, you should have some time to figure it out. And if you do it yourself, all you have to buy is the hair, which in the grand scheme of things, is cheap.

When I used to do my own braids in college I used wet n wavy human hair. It is much cheaper than the remy and worked well IMO. I got 2 packs for like $40 (in the right neighborhood). If your hair is fine though braids can really damage your edges. There are pics of my braids in my fotki in the weaves and wraps album.

If that is out of your budget try flat twisting the front of your hair and wearing a puff in the back. Or you can set your hair on some midsize to small rods and sit under the dryer it should come out nice and curly. You can also try half wigs, this way your edges are out and the rest of your hair is protected. Also I wear headwraps to give my hair a break. I can't wear them to work but on the weekends I wrap it up sometimes.

edited: sorry I just saw that you don't want to try half wigs again

Thank you ladies..I can cornrow and use to be able to do it with the weave but since I havent done them in 3 yrs my weave skills have gone away..I think Im go to do my buns,maybe get a phony pony or a half wig and take out all combs.My only fear is looking a fool at work..since I start a new internship on Monday..I want to look polished and clean since I will be one of the few AA their..thank you ladies for the ideas..

I googled Ansbach, what a beautiful place! :yep: I KWYM about the name, though, I wasn't understanding it at first either.

Pretty, do you know how to braid? I've done my own "micro-weaves" and kinky twists in the past. The micro-weave was when I micro'd the front of my hair and sowed in tracks so it looked like I had micros, but it took 1/8 of the time. The kinky twists I learned how to do off youtube. I watched 4 or 5 different people do theirs, took little bits of each of their techniques and found something that worked for me. With it being winter break now, you should have some time to figure it out. And if you do it yourself, all you have to buy is the hair, which in the grand scheme of things, is cheap.

Ok I just went and cut out all the combs from my wigs and half wigs..only one causality..the darn combs were attached to the seem so it split the wig in the front..but here is pic of one of my half wigs..do you think it looks too much or really unnatural

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 15
Pretty, very very nice!!! The first picture is my favorite :) how did you blend it? Is that a headband? Does the headband go all around or only ear to ear?

You have good skin.

Adno - that's so cool :) yes very military area that's how my parents met. There's a few others on here too that lived nearby as well.

Dak what's that acronym mean?

Back