If you transitioned with super dry, super course hair...

sonychari

I want to hear from you.

I've been thinking about transitioning for months but every time I get to between 12 and 14 weeks, my new growth is so dry and rough that I couldn't imagine being able to deal with a whole head of my natural hair.

If you felt like this but transitioned anyhow, please tell me how you managed it. Also, did you end up relaxing again?

AltheaGarden

Hello. My hair is super thick, course and dry. I transitioned for a year before I cut off my processed ends. For the first six months of my transition I co-washed several times a week, applied a leave-in and sealed with oil. In the last half of the transition I started only washing my hair once a week or once every two weeks, which is still what I do now. I DC, wash, apply a leave-in and seal with oil. That's pretty much it.
The transition became annoying around the six month mark because my processed hair (which was extremely underprocessed) started to break off and it began to look dull. I managed by wearing it pinned up more often and handling less often. Just from my experience, transitioning wasn't difficult. I tried my best to not create expectations for how my hair would behave, I just took it as it was and ran with it. For me, it's now easier to care for my entire head of hair now that the processed hair is gone. Keeping it moisturized is very important, and sometimes what you think is "dry" is the actual texture of the hair, which is the case for the hair in my nape and temple area. Also, excessive heat can cause dryness as well. I did not relax again, nor do I plan to.

Last edited:

jerseyhaircare

I am 24 weeks post relaxer and this is my first attempt at transitioning. I must say for me using particular products helped me with my NG. I use the CD Monoi and Chocolate lines which helps to soften my hair greatly. I also used the caramel treatment with some improvement in texture. I think cowashing helped the most but to be honest, by 18+weeks post, it became a challenge to not use heat to manage my hair. I have been using braids and weaves to help with the rest of my transition. I am honestly on the fence as to whether I will continue to transition or relax.:perplexed

Leslie_C

Im 25 weeks post and through trial and error, Ive finally been able to soften up my hair and it finally retains moisture. You have to be determined and press on when you are frustrated. If your hair gets so dry you have to moisturize 3 times a day, then so be it until you find what works to do it twice a day, then what it takes to do it once a day or every other day. I M&S daily just for insurance, but I swear at first my new growth was so dry I had to do it severa times a day. It felt like steel wool.

My saviors have been: AG fast food leave in, coconut oil, shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie and/or shea moisture curl and shine milk for moisture. Also working in at least 4 sections and really working in plenty of product root to tip. My hair is very porous so it soaks product right up. Lately Ive started doing two strand twists on my own hair and those are low maintenance and retain moisture well.

No sulfate shampoos, and plenty of deep conditioning.

It can be done, you just have to make the decision that you really want to do it and be willing to put in the work to find what works for you. There is plenty of support and folks around here to compare notes with. Join us in the transitioning to natural without the BC thread!

Im comfortable with my transitioning hair now and as long as nothing major happens I feel like its smooth sailing from here. I made the decision to transition at 3 months post (around the time I usually relax), so months 3-5 were a struggle and the last several weeks have been going really well and my hair has been cooperating. If it stayed this way, I think I could transition indefinitely lol. HTH!

toyas08

This is one of the reasons why I BC before i wanted, my hair was super dry until I started co-washing at least 3 times a week. I stop washing with shampoo and started using sulfate free shampoo. I also left some of the conditioner in my hair and kept my hair in ponytails. I also sealed with oil.