If stylists are the "experts", then why

pinkchocolatedaisy

are we getting better results in caring for our hair ourselves?? I know that not all stylists are bad, but it seems to the general population on this board that many haven't had positive salon experiences.

I'm just curious... is it that easy to get a beuaty/hairstyling license (I don't know the actual title for it)? What type of training do they receive? I usually go to beuaty college to get my hair done (the few times a year that I do go- trims, maybe a flat iron, relaxer back in the day or a style). I never had any problems. Nothing serious at least. But what could be the reason for all these issues you ladies have encountered with stylists?

I've heard about unnecessary cuts/trims, relaxer burns, heat damage, etc.
It seems that we know more on this board than the stylists that own a salon.

Is it ignorance or just indifference?:look:

BostonMaria

Good question, OP. I have noticed that when I do my own hair it just thrives, grows like crazy, looks healthier, I retain length...

My guess is that it must be hard to give each person the TLC and attention they need/deserve when you run a busy salon. I know how much heat my hair can tolerate and I know how much conditioner to rinse out, a hairdresser might not know or care.

Energist

I am a stylist and I will say that some if not all cosmetology schools train more for technique and styling rather than actual hair care and long term maintenance! Also, (although I have never been) I think that Dudley school attendance is a good idea after cosmetology school to learn about working withOUR hair textures!

soulie

Frequently stylists operate under the "one size fits all" principle. A relaxer is applied for 8 minutes, smoothed for 11 and rinsed. A conditioner is applied for 20 minutes under a dryer at ____ temperature. X shampoo is used because that is the product line the salon supplies. Too bad about the SLS! All too often stylists are scheduling appointments 15 minutes apart and moving clients through as quickly as possible. This approach doesn't allow for attention to individual's hair, so what WE have learned works best for OUR specific hair isn't practiced by the stylist.

pinkchocolatedaisy

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.. but I thought they would at least know some basics. For those ladies that have had problems, it seems like that is not the case. I have a friend that is a licensed cosmetologist. Sometimes she styles my hair. She also gives me good hair care advice too. She is more about hair care than style (altho lately she's been pretty bad too her hair!)

they're only trained to style by any means necessary i think. most don't do hair care.

pinkchocolatedaisy

Well your beautiful hair definitely shows how much you know!

I am a stylist and I will say that some if not all cosmetology schools train more for technique and styling rather than actual hair care and long term maintenance! Also, (although I have never been) I think that Dudley school attendance is a good idea after cosmetology school to learn about working withOUR hair textures!

bermudabeauty

I can't say I have had too many bad experiences with stylists per say instead of them not giving me what I asked for. But for me and may I say for majority of women of color going to a stylist once every 6weeks, isn't going to keep your hair healthy and continue to grow. Reality is that our individual daily maintenance and upkeep of our hair lies with us, it is our individual responsibility. Our hair maintenance and daily hair regimine is what makes our hair/keeps our hair healthy the 5weeks we aren't in the salon chair.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
are we getting better results in caring for our hair ourselves?? I know that not all stylists are bad, but it seems to the general population on this board that many haven't had positive salon experiences.

I'm just curious... is it that easy to get a beauty/hairstyling license (I don't know the actual title for it)? What type of training do they receive? I usually go to beuaty college to get my hair done (the few times a year that I do go- trims, maybe a flat iron, relaxer back in the day or a style). I never had any problems. Nothing serious at least. But what could be the reason for all these issues you ladies have encountered with stylists?

I've heard about unnecessary cuts/trims, relaxer burns, heat damage, etc.
It seems that we know more on this board than the stylists that own a salon.

Is it ignorance or just indifference?:look:
I'll take a stab at this question.

Speaking as a person who has been on both sides of the fence(consumer and stylist).

Most stylist don't go the extra mile to actually learn about hair and healthy hair care. School only teaches you about cutting, styling, etc. You don't learn about. hair care there. That's something you have to learn on your own. It does take a lot of extra time and patience.

A lot of stylist rush through and skip steps to save time to be able to work more clients in that day.( this includes not basing before a relaxer, high heat to get through hair faster no deep conditioning and the list goes on) Time is money when it comes to the hair care industry. The more clients you can service in a day means the more money you make. Sometimes the personal service and good customer service is lost in the process.

A lot of stylist are really focused on everyone who comes out of the salon has that polished look. We all know that growing healthy hair means that sometimes we have to sacrifice vanity for the sake of health. Stylist have a hard time with that because that is their name on that head of hair.

A lot times stylist push relaxing often and things of that nature because they just don't want to do the extra work that goes into helping someone stretch a relaxer. It's sad but true, plus a relaxer yields more money.

I am fortunate enough to have learned about true hair care first before I became a stylist because a lot of the things I learned here I incorporate into my hair care practices with my clients. It makes them very happy.

tbaby_8

Alot of cosmetology schools teach students the basics that help them to pass state board. They go over basic (very basic) hair care. They do not go into great detail about different hair textures. The school does not have the time or resources to go into great detail about hair care. Many schools are do not have enough teachers to accomadate the amount of students that are enrolled.
It is up to the individual stylist to further their education, which many don't. For example, the state of NC requires all stylist, nail techs and esthicians to take continuing education classes before we can renew our lic. Many stylist take CE courses for the hours. Others take CE courses to actually further their education. That is why I am a member here because I want to learn various ways of taking care of my hair and my clients hair. I didn't learn alot in school or from working in a salon. I learned here or from trial and error many things. Remember,many stylist learn from other stylist and they practice the learned methods, whether it is positive methods or negative methods on their clients.
Not all stylist are the debil, there are good ones out here, but you have to search for them. Remember we are human and we have good days and bads too, just like you.:yep:

ETA: I totally agree with you Don't speak defeat. You tell it girl.

Last edited:

pinkchocolatedaisy

thanks DSD. I really appreciate your post. i just have been wondering that lately esp after being here on this board. Before, I myself wasn't so much concerned with hair care as I was with getting it "done". I have noticed in my exp that it seems the look is more imporatant than care and maintenance and that getting as many chairs filled - and heads done- as possible was always the goal with stylists I've been to. I was just impatient to be seen and get out.

MonPetite

I'll take a stab at this question.

Speaking as a person who has been on both sides of the fence(consumer and stylist).

Most stylist don't go the extra mile to actually learn about hair and healthy hair care. School only teaches you about cutting, styling, etc. You don't learn about. hair care there. That's something you have to learn on your own. It does take a lot of extra time and patience.

A lot of stylist rush through and skip steps to save time to be able to work more clients in that day.( this includes not basing before a relaxer, high heat to get through hair faster no deep conditioning and the list goes on) Time is money when it comes to the hair care industry. The more clients you can service in a day means the more money you make. Sometimes the personal service and good customer service is lost in the process.

A lot of stylist are really focused on everyone who comes out of the salon has that polished look. We all know that growing healthy hair means that sometimes we have to sacrifice vanity for the sake of health. Stylist have a hard time with that because that is their name on that head of hair.

A lot times stylist push relaxing often and things of that nature because they just don't want to do the extra work that goes into helping someone stretch a relaxer. It's sad but true, plus a relaxer yields more money.

I am fortunate enough to have learned about true hair care first before I became a stylist because a lot of the things I learned here I incorporate into my hair care practices with my clients. It makes them very happy.

I'm curious...would you say then, that if WE as the consumer continue to patronize stylist who don't (as you so wonderfully do) look after style AND health...that we are part of the problem?

Or is this just sort of a necessary evil in having a "hair industry" in general?

Any large industry with "folks" in it is going to have bad eggs that often follow patterns or loop holes in the systems that govern it.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
thanks DSD. I really appreciate your post. i just have been wondering that lately esp after being here on this board. Before, I myself wasn't so much concerned with hair care as I was with getting it "done". I have noticed in my exp that it seems the look is more imporatant than care and maintenance and that getting as many chairs filled - and heads done- as possible was always the goal with stylists I've been to. I was just impatient to be seen and get out.
Your welcome. I just wish more stylist were into healthy hair care. We can all have long, healthy hair. It just takes more time on everyone's part. It's rare you find a stylist that is willing to spend that time.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I'm curious...would you say then, that if WE as the consumer continue to patronize stylist who don't (as you so wonderfully do) look after style AND health...that we are part of the problem?

Or is this just sort of a necessary evil in having a "hair industry" in general?

Any large industry with "folks" in it is going to have bad eggs that often follow patterns or loop holes in the systems that govern it.
It's not the consumer's fault because most don't know any better. They only know what their stylist tells them. It is our job as professionals to teach the clients what they need to know about hair care but most stylist don't.

When a client sits in my chair I am constantly getting to know their hair and it's needs and I am constantly educating my clients on healthy hair care practices but most stylist don't or don't even care. They just want it to look good.

Just think back before there were forum and chat rooms and things of that nature that teach us about hair care. We had to rely on someone who supposedly "was the expert" and we trusted what they said regardless. Even it it was outdated, horrible methods we believed that everything our stylist told us was "gold"

MonPetite

It's not the consumer's fault because most don't know any better. They only know what their stylist tells them. It is our job as professionals to teach the clients what they need to know about hair care but most stylist don't.

When a client sits in my chair I am constantly getting to know their hair and it's needs and I am constantly educating my clients on healthy hair care practices but most stylist don't or don't even care. They just want it to look good.

Just think back before there were forum and chat rooms and things of that nature that teach us about hair care. We had to rely on someone who supposedly "was the expert" and we trusted what they said regardless. Even it it was outdated, horrible methods we believed that everything our stylist told us was "gold"

That's a good point. Already I forget away from LHCF many women ARE still in the dark about hair care period. Let alone Black hair care which IS a tad different. I was, six years ago, come to think of it.

And it is true many of "us" just want to look "DID". My relatives are a good example of this.:rolleyes:

As per usual, fantastic insight. Your clients are blessed to have you.:drunk:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
That's a good point. Already I forget away from LHCF many women ARE still in the dark about hair care period. Let alone Black hair care which IS a tad different. I was, six years ago, come to think of it.

And it is true many of "us" just want to look "DID". My relatives are a good example of this.:rolleyes:

As per usual, fantastic insight. Your clients are blessed to have you.:drunk:
Thanks so much!