I went to a Brazilian Salon

SweetNic_JA

My hair turned out great but I 'm wondering if she did more damage than meets the eye.

It was last Wednesday evening and I had to get my hair style quick for an all-day event on Thursday. I stopped by the salon at about 6:30pm. She washed my hair,put a light conditioner in and, rinsed my hair.

She sat me in her high chair and began to blow my hair dry. She ran the drier over my hair for so many times after it had dried. I felt my little strands screaming for help but I sad down and allowed her to finish her procedure. About an hour and a half later my hair was done. It was very light and bouncy. I wrapped it that night and the next 6 nights after that. My hair looked and felt great. I also discovered that I wasn't necessarily suffering from dry hair in the past but from underprocessed hair that gave the appearance of dry hair. Since the Brazilians straightened my hair, it retains so much moisture, I can wrap it up at night and look flawless in the morning.

At first I was skeptical about her doing my hair because in my eyes she is a white woman. Light skin, straight hair- she was a white brazilian. Her technique (blow drying) may not have necessarily been the healthiest decision for my hair but it left my hair looking good. She suggested that she do a rollerset next time and blow my hair out for about 5 minutes. She also mentioned that she did the wash and blow dry only because it was almost time to close the salon. She instructed me to wrap my hair at night and to moisturize my ends (even though I made that plan way before my hair was done). The entire procedure costs $25 but will cost $30 if I wash, rollerset, and blow out.

I tried to keep an eye on her arsenal. I don't know exactly what she used in my hair but she has product lines like:
Mizani
Biosilk
Nexxus
an Italian line called Alter Ego

Nyambura

surfer girl
I'm glad to see your hair turned out flawless and was not damaged by the heat the stylist used.
Her suggestion that she rollerset next time and that you moisturize your ends sounds like she advocates healthy hair practices. I'm glad she explained why she used the blowdryer on that particular occasion.

Sigh...why can't I find any competent hair stylists out where I live?
The last one I went to (this week), said she blowdries and flat irons her hair *every day*
and then told me that washing hair more than once a week dries it out. Err...wouldn't all that daily heat styling dry it out worse? I had to ask her to put a protectant on my hair before she blowdried it.

ccd

Alter Ego!!! I love their products

glad your hair turned out nice!!!!
I personally stay away from blowing my hair out from a wet state.... (ahhhhhhhh I use to do this in college and FRIED my hair, since leaving the blower for after a roller set, my hair is soooo much healthier)

I agree,with Nyambura. her suggestions sounds like she's a reasonable stylist. Good luck

CaramelKiss

Sounds like u had a very good experience!! Not only is she a great stylist, but a healthy hair advocate to boot! Lucky you!!