i was worried about how to store the tons of shea

Shatani

...butter, my aunt is bringing me from ghana....i looked around a bit on the internet and found this info...thought i would share with the rest of you ladies!

Shea Butter Storage

Shea butter has quite a long shelf life open and at room temperature, around 2 years. However, as with any vegetable oil, shea butter will last longest if kept cold (in the fridge or even freezer), dark, and airless (totally filled containers, or bags with the air expressed). As long as it is not rancid smelling it is still good. I suggest you divide your shea butter into some to use in the next month (which you would keep handy at room temperature), and some for long-term storage which you would keep in the fridge or freezer. It will keep for many years this way.

MrsQueeny

Thanks for posting T. I was thinking about getting some off of ebay also. I know, I got bad pjitis!!!

ChasingBliss

I keep a huge chunk wrapped in plastic then sealed in a ziplock bag in the kitchen cabinet. It's been there for a few months and it's still good. I just take what I need periodically. But I think I will transfer some of it to the freezer now. Thanks for the info.

Shatani

Re: i was worried about how to store the tons of s

youre all very welcome!

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"

THanks for that, I only have 100g at present, but I think i'll put half in the fridge.

x

Innocent_Kiss

I'm gonna look up the site again, but I read that you store it in the Refrig and if you wanna store it for months, keep it in the freezer (not on the door because repetively opening the freezer can dramatically change the temperature too often). Does your aunt sale shea butter, or is she just bringing it for you? (I'm jealous
)

Shatani

nah, shes just bringing it for me....along with hair to do extensions...hehehe...its so cheap over there!

jewel

Thanks for posting. I have 40lbs of shea butter stored in a dark area in an air tight bucket. I know i could not fit 40lbs of shea in my fridge or freezer so this method works for me
. However, i am selling most of it and the rest i would most likely store in the fridge.

lthomas1

Hair Power!

The is a great post. I have shea butter stared at room temperature, but I will refrigerate it from now on. Thanks for the info.

Cinnabuns

Oh
I did not know that I should store Shea Butter in the fridge. Hey I learn something new here everyday

iCandey

shatani is it unrefined shea butter? if so how does it smell? i may ask my dad to bring me some..

Shatani

yeah, its pure unrefined....i never noticed a smell before (when i used what my aunt had before)...doesnt smell like anything to me....but it doesnt really matter because im gonna add EOs to it anyway....

definitely get your dad to bring you some...they get pounds and pounds for like $2....it will last forever!