I need to invest in a good pair of shears

hair4romheaven

I am in the market looking for some good long lasting shears. The last ones I purchased were from Sallys and were about $10.00 and I don't believe they are good enough.
Ladies please help by answering the following questions to help me determine which shears are a good investment.

What kind of shears do you own?
Where did you buy them and how much were they?
How often do you get them sharpened?
If you had to repurchase will you still purchase the ones you currently own?
How can you determine a good pair of shears?

Thanks ladies ;-)

Evolving78

you are going to have to spend some money to get some good quality shears. i buy $10-$20 shears and after a year or so, i throw them out. i don't even bother getting them sharpened because i know they are garbage.

the more you spend the more quality you will get from your shears. look for Chrome Shears, don't mess this titanium coatings. you also need to decide what will you be using these shears for? is it just for trimming? don't use them on weave either.

outspokenwallflower

I have some Tweezerman shears that I got from Sephora I think for about $25. I personally think theyre great; so precise and sharp!

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using SPH-M820-BST

kittenz

Or you could get a scissor sharpener from Hancock or Joann's Fabric and sharpen a regular (cheap) pair of shear to cut like razors. That's what I did, just be careful if you do sharpen them because I cut myself just touching the blade :blush:

ETA: I plan to run the shears throught the sharpener before each dusting.:yep:

hair4romheaven

shortdub78 I will def. look into chrome scissors.
@kittenz I may chop my finger off. Yea I'm wreckless, however I will buy the sharpener for times I need to sharpen up. I just don't want to have to do it all the time, but thats a great idea.
@outspokenwallflower I heard of tweazerman and will look into that as well.
I may call my trusty stylist to see what she uses as well. I was hoping Sally's had some good ones since i have a $20. gift card and they usually have $25% sales. I need to sign up fot the e-mail since I am not purchasing until may or June. I am hiding my hair til then in braids under wigs.

greenandchic

Hijack alert!

Has anyone ever used the Eclipse brand before? I saw this at Sally Beauty last month on sale, but had to get a rain check since they were out of a particular model I was interested in. I can get it for $20, instead of $28 by the end of this week.

Any experiences with this brand?

hair4romheaven

Girrrl that's why I created this thread. I refuse to waste money on some wack shears. This is an investment. I like the idea of having the chorme ones. I think that's what I see stylist with. At least I know where to start.

winona

I have Washi shears. I got the ones that were on smart buys. They were pricey($100) but I love them. With the shears I had previously I couldn't understand how I cut the splits and they just kept coming back. To make matters worse they were not the cheapest shears and they were only 6 months old. I got them from sally's for about $30. I can't remember the name but they ended up begin puppy trimming shears. My trim and S&Ds are very crisp with no unnecessary splits later on. I will get them sharpened off their website once every 2 years as I don't use them often like a professional would. I don't think you have to get expensive shears to get decent trims but I think it is awesome you are doing your research before wasting your money. By the way I took very good care of them case and all:/