I kissed Dating Goodbye

LucieLoo12

. First of all he gives you the Little Relationship Principle:

The joy of intimacy is the reward of commitment.

Then, he goes on to list seven habits of highly defective dating:
1. Dating tends to skip the friendship stage of a relationship
2. Dating often mistakes a physical relationship as love
3. Dating often isolates a couple from other vital relationships
4. Dating can distract young adults from their primary responsibility of preparing for the future.
5. Dating can cause discontentment with God’s gift of singleness
6, Dating can create an artificial environment for evaluating another person’s character.
7. Dating often becomes an end in itself.

Once Josh Harris has listed these, he doesn’t leave you hanging. In the next chapter, he covers five ways to avoid the above seven pitfalls of dating:
1. Every relationship is an opportunity to model Christ’s love.
2. My unmarried years are a gift from God
3. I don’t need to pursue a romantic relationship before I’m ready for marriage
4. I cannot “own” someone outside of marriage
5. I will avoid situations that could compromise the purity of my body or mind

The world takes us to a silver screen on which flickering images of passion and
romance play, and as we watch, the world says, “This is love.” God takes us to
the foot of a tree on which a naked and bloodied man hangs and says, “This is
love.”

The next is Josh’s opening challenge:

And because I’ve experienced it–because Jesus died for me–I’m committed to a
love life that is controlled by Him. I invite you along. In the light of the
love He’s given us, let’s make purity and blamelessness our priority.

Choosing to quit the dating game doesn’t mean rejecting friendship with the
opposite sex, companionship, romance, or marriage. We can still pursue those
things, we just choose to pursue them on God’s terms and in his time.

Anyone read this...??

I kissed it goodbye, before I heard of the book :look:

Last edited:

LucieLoo12

I never read it. I heard alot about it.but my friend says its good..I just copied and pasted the excerpts offline..Let me know how it is, if u read it

LongTimeComing

I've seen this many times, but never read it. I thought it was the same old 'trust God for your husband and quit complaining' speech. :look:

The points actually look pretty good though. I may have to pick it up.

Renewed1

I've seen the book before, I haven't read it. I'm waiting for a "free" copy. I have enough "relationship" books on my shelf.

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I read this book a few years ago. Unfortunately I thought it was terribly unrealistic. It had a holier than thou undertone that suggested the methods were easy, I found it rather impractical.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Kabrinam from youtube had a review about it, she said it changed her outlook on things.

mw138

I first heard about this book in high school when some of my classmates were raving about it (I went to a Christian school). While I understand where the author is coming from, and he makes good points, I personally couldn't subscribe to all of it. Something about it didn't sit right with me, but it's one of those weird things that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Check it out for yourself and see how it works in your life. :)

Last edited:

LucieLoo12

I'm not really inspired to read it :look: but I may...if someone gives me the book, but I really cant see myself spending the money on it..

I have read the excerpts from the book and they seem really good..but ive stopped dating for awhile now, just wanted some reviews on it..

Choclatcotton

I read it many years before marriage and this form of saving yourself for courtship and commitment is taught where I worship, so it was right in line with what I was already doing. Im sooooo glad I waited and prayed on God's timing and direction. It so paid off in the end. Oh and I think the book has good points, on purity. He gives his own testimony in this book and a later book when he meets his wife called"BOY MEETS GIRL" Basically, let God write YOUR love story.

BEAUTYU2U

After reading this and watching a documentary "Soulmates," I'm really wondering where people are getting this 'gift of singleness' idea from. Is it in the Bible? I thought God wanted us married? Are we just making this up in order to be content with our 'single' situation?

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

Leigh

After reading this and watching a documentary "Soulmates," I'm really wondering where people are getting this 'gift of singleness' idea from. Is it in the Bible? I thought God wanted us married? Are we just making this up in order to be content with our 'single' situation?

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

I read this book years ago and bought a copy for a family member. But getting back to your question, Paul stated in I Cor 7:8:

8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. 9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Yes God wants us married but being single is also good if we are able to be as Paul and focus on spreading the Word of God. If we spread the Word but are longing for a mate or family or if we are lusting then singleness ain't for us and we need to marry.

BrandNew

Loc'd up and loving it!
I have the sequel 'Boy Meets Girl' but I was told I should read this one first. I just need to get my hands on it..

moonglowdiva

I had heard of the book long ago but I have not read it. I am down with the title though because I reflect upon my own life and I have come to the conclusion that the world is full of sh@# especially when it comes to dating, marriage, and relationship. I'll never date again or not the way the world does it. God's way is marriage, dating, sex not dating sex, marriage. There latter puts the relationship under the authority of satan and his minions. Dating according to todays standard is a recipe for divorce. The divorce rate is around 50% of all first time and about 78% thereafter. Why? probably because 100% of all "relationship" begin in sin. Fornication is sin by the way. It takes a Holy God out of the equation because sin separates us from HIM. The world says have sex as much as you want. Ok that fine but in the eyes of YHWY it is a sin that result in death. Most people have justified sin because they believe this once saved always saved doctrine but thats not what the Word says. So, I am going to place everything that I have and love on the way YHWY says it is suppose to be done. After all, I am a pilgram that is passing through. I can't really comment on that book but I have read THE book. If you want a marriage that last then the foundation must be based uponYHWY's standard. You have to trust in the only true living GOD. Read the Holy Bible it is a book that begins with a marriage and ends with a marriage. Marriage and covenant is the theme. I don't mean to make anyone mad but my authority is the Living Word of GOD!!!!

Leigh

I had heard of the book long ago but I have not read it. I am down with the title though because I reflect upon my own life and I have come to the conclusion that the world is full of sh@# especially when it comes to dating, marriage, and relationship. I'll never date again or not the way the world does it. God's way is marriage, dating, sex not dating sex, marriage. There latter puts the relationship under the authority of satan and his minions. Dating according to todays standard is a recipe for divorce. The divorce rate is around 50% of all first time and about 78% thereafter. Why? probably because 100% of all "relationship" begin in sin. Fornication is sin by the way. It takes a Holy God out of the equation because sin separates us from HIM. The world says have sex as much as you want. Ok that fine but in the eyes of YHWY it is a sin that result in death. Most people have justified sin because they believe this once saved always saved doctrine but thats not what the Word says. So, I am going to place everything that I have and love on the way YHWY says it is suppose to be done. After all, I am a pilgram that is passing through. I can't really comment on that book but I have read THE book. If you want a marriage that last then the foundation must be based uponYHWY's standard. You have to trust in the only true living GOD. Read the Holy Bible it is a book that begins with a marriage and ends with a marriage. Marriage and covenant is the theme. I don't mean to make anyone mad but my authority is the Living Word of GOD!!!!

Will you expound upon your meaning that 100% of all relationships begin in sin? Please, thanks.