i cornrow/extension'd my own hair (pics)

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i havent updated my album in a while but that is because i felt like my hair was at a stand still. but i realized i have about 1in newgrowth from oct to dec so i have upped my growth from .25 a month to .5 a month the goal is to be at 1in a month by april. I am restarting mtg 3rd time taking nioxin and various other vitamins and have decided to keep my hair in cornrows for 12months (unbraid rebraid)if possible in my efforts to reach brastrap by dec. for variety i am working on getting a lacefront

it took me about 1.5 hours to do my hair the hardest part was parting
the extension hair was .99 getting my hair cornrowed was my last link to stylists so i have completely broken free

total cost $.99 and my time vs. $30 and 1hr at the hair school

by the way i think i'm transitioning from the texturizer no chop only trims so this might be an indefinate transition

ok enough talk heres the link to the pics PLEASE EXCUSE THE SKIN MY ENDOMETRIOSIS IS ACTING UP

http://public.fotki.com/msportugal/im_texturized/

Last edited:

rmwms

Your cornrows look nice...I can do others but can't do my own.
you did a good job.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
thanks! you should try this was my first attempt the braids are bigger than i wanted and my parts arent right but i'm gonna keep trying

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
thanks ladies kristina i have pics of my flat twists in there too i might try to make a video of how i did it if i can find my tripod

StartinOvah

msportugal said:
i havent updated my album in a while but that is because i felt like my hair was at a stand still. but i realized i have about 1in newgrowth from oct to dec so i have upped my growth from .25 a month to .5 a month the goal is to be at 1in a month by april. I am restarting mtg 3rd time taking nioxin and various other vitamins and have decided to keep my hair in cornrows for 12months (unbraid rebraid)if possible in my efforts to reach brastrap by dec. for variety i am working on getting a lacefront

it took me about 1.5 hours to do my hair the hardest part was parting
the extension hair was .99 getting my hair cornrowed was my last link to stylists so i have completely broken free

total cost $.99 and my time vs. $30 and 1hr at the hair school

by the way i think i'm transitioning from the texturizer no chop only trims so this might be an indefinate transition

ok enough talk heres the link to the pics PLEASE EXCUSE THE SKIN MY ENDOMETRIOSIS IS ACTING UP

http://public.fotki.com/msportugal/im_texturized/
can you please describe for me how you added the extensions? for braids and twists, (if its different). how did you learn how to do it? tapes, practice, etc... thanks!

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
well its just like starting a regular cornrow except i wrap the the extension hair around the beginning of the braid and cross the hair over itself then start to braid as normal i have to try and post a pic. i basically taught myself and i learned from watching people do my hair

kristina

msportugal said:
thanks ladies kristina i have pics of my flat twists in there too i might try to make a video of how i did it if i can find my tripod
That would be sooooo cool.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
thanks carlie i didnt realize you were transitioning congrats on your big chop,
i've never seen anyone chop from waistlength

happy growing

Carlie

Thank you! Happy Hair Growing to you too!!! :D

msportugal said:
thanks carlie i didnt realize you were transitioning congrats on your big chop,
i've never seen anyone chop from waistlength

happy growing

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
Update after only about a week or so my braids are a fuzzy mess
i think it is because usually at the hair school my braids are done
on blowdryed hair but i did mine on wet hair. my man informed me
last night that "it's time for them to come out" i had to hurry and let
him know that i'm not blind so there will probably be another update
next week or so, i'm going to double up on the number of braids
because even though these arent fat they are way bigger than i
wanted especially since i need them to lay flat because i'm going back
to my wig regimine. he dont like fake hair but i dont like needing it so
he will have to deal with it until mine grows out. Lacefront to the rescue!!!

Great job!

What is a braid sealer. I always cornrow/extension my own hair. I braid a little pass my hair and rubber band it and leave the hair loose, blow dry, and do buns, or braid to the length I want and burn (hence the question about the sealer), or put beads on (wooden when I think I'm earthy, kinda anitqued silver if I think I'm classy - I guess...)

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
hot tools makes a braid sealer i'm assuming it burns/cuts the braid so you dont have to use a lighter i have seen the type you put on the stove i think texas beauty supply online has one

NubianQueen

Wow cuz!

I've been so stuck in the financial forum that I missed your update! Ladies, I saw her hair cornrows as she finished them in between doing all kinds of wonderful treatments to my hair. Her hair is so thick and lovely!:yep: Her edges are on point and her cornrows looked professional!! I am so glad she is great with hair and generous enough with her time to do my scalp peels, aphogee treatments and cornrows on a regular basis.:D She is quite talented and should have felt like a pretzel with all of that contorting she was doing to get her hair just right!

Keep up the good work!