I am recovering from surgery and I just had to say

auntybe

Mr. John sounds a lot like the hairdressers that I had when I was younger. My hair was so curly and soft that it was easier to "train" the hair to hang straight than really deal with the texture. It worked for a while and I had long hair but, as I got older and the texture change my hair became hard to deal with and then I went to a relaxer.(That's another story) Mr. John probably doesn't like flat irons because he hasn't really used them. I was recently getting my tracks tightened and one of the older hair stylist said she had taken a class on staw sets but did quite know how to do them....so when my cousin asked my stylist to do it for her the older lady gave my cousin about ten reasons why she should not get a straw set.

One thing I learned when I work in a salon is a stylist will do what works for them and often make all of their cleints look the same way. They don't want to understand new things because it might appear that they don't know as much as they thought about hair and most of the older stylist hate to be wrong.

I am curious though I might buy the book...just to see everything he says.

Oh yeah, the only way hair can mildew is being wet under a weave or a wig and not getting air. AA stylist discourage lots of water use for 2 reasons: 1. If we find out how to care for our hair we won't need to go to the salon as often and 2. If we grow our hair to great lenghts they won't know how to care for it when we do vist the salon.

Sorry this is so long but, I missed you guys!

Re: I am recovering from surgery and I just had to

Good to have you back, auntybe!

yaya.gif

Re: I am recovering from surgery and I just had to

Yay! I'm glad you're back with us Auntybe - and I'm thrilled that you are feeling well enough to join us on the board.

We missed you.

Nita4:

It has grown about 1/2 inch since I was last on the board. I am going to the salon this week to have my tracks tightened. Right now my hair and scalp are very dry so I will mix some Aloe and Jojoba to take to the salon with me. In Feb. I will get a press and a trim and then I cam see the real growth.

Hi Auntybe,
glad to see you back and doing better.
I just wanted to expand what you said about the salons, not only do they know that longer hair=less visits + less money, they make more money (they think) by styling more people per hour than taking the time and effort to care for onger hair. But they could make just as much or more money w/ long haired clients, I mean conditioning treatments, colour, etc... just my opinion. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Welcome back Auntybe: Nice to see you up and about and in circulation again. Hope your help is improved, and you are receiving all the support you need in your recovery. Bonjour.

Glad your back /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Hope you feel better /images/graemlins/wink.gif. Happy Hair Growing! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

You are so right!!! I guess it's because some stylist think they know everything that they don't need to know anything new. Hell, there are so many new techniques and products on the market I can understand how hard it is to keep up. My current stylist (who's into growing hair and keeping it healthy) said to me that when she used to work in a salon there was one particular stylist that did EVERYBODY's hair the same way and always would cut more. She said she put a sign on her chair that said....."sit in this chair if you want to keep your hair"! LOL

welcome back, auntybe! it's good to see you posting again!

i completely agree with what you said about the older stylists not wanting to be wrong. they should realize that times change and so do the styling options. so their way may have been the way back in the day, but not forever.

i also love the salons that charge more to do longer hair. that's ridiculous to me because i've seen women with really short (almost shaved) hair go in and have just as much time spent on curling their TEEENY curls. i bet they don't give them discounts because theirs is shorter... [insert eye roll here... too tired to hunt one down. lol!] /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

Welcome back Auntybe
I hope that you are getting your rest and I pray for a speeedy recovery and thanks for your advice.
Best Wishes

Welcome back Auntybe!! It's great to have you back. Please get better soon so that you can post on a regular basis again! I hope that all went well with your surgery. We missed you!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is good to see you back and posting, Auntybe. I am wishing you a full and speedy recovery. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back