Huge Relaxer Error, Don't know what to do!!

gn1g

This question is for someone else and I don't know what to tell her. In the past she has always used a lye perm, went to the salon they put used a no-lye perm. Hair has been breaking very badly, but I told her to use reconstructor conditions and she said that has helped.
Now it's time for a touch-up. what kind of perm should she use?

Did they pull the relaxer through to the ends? If so, then she is going to need to slowly cut that hair off. Putting a no-lye over a lye perm causes the hair cortex to burst and flake.

If they didn't, she needs to deep condition at least once a week and use a no-lye for her touch up. However, i would tell her to stretch as long as she can.

This question is for someone else and I don't know what to tell her. In the past she has always used a lye perm, went to the salon they put used a no-lye perm. Hair has been breaking very badly, but I told her to use reconstructor conditions and she said that has helped.
none:perplexed
why do us women keep putting ourself through trauma?
if her hair broke once and shes still healing why would she want to have it break again:blush:

Maybe they did not wash the relaxer out properly.

Tell her to use a neutralizer shampoo to help with ph level and close cuticle. Follow it with a moisturizing shampoo.

If the breakage is due to brittle dry hair, do another protein. If the breakage is due to stretchy mushy hair, do a moisture treatment.

If she is unsure:
I would do a protein treatment (Emergencee, Aphogee, Aubrey Organics, etc). Follow it with a deep conditioning treatment under heat.

Do a final rinse with Roux Porosity Control, a Dominican rinse, a clear rinse, or any rinse that helps stabilize pH levels.

Use a bit of creamy leave-in. Follow with a bit of an oil sealant, and maybe an anti-frizz gloss. Style.

Follow the next following weeks with deep conditioning treatments, preferably under heat.

Last edited:
I would have her stretch her relaxer out for awhile and then get the retouch.. Have you introduced your friend to this site? ... that could help her also:grin:.

Stylists like to switch relaxers on you without even telling you...It would be good for your friend to make sure that her stylists sticks to one relaxer so that she will know what they are doing to her hair.

If her hair is still breaking, she might want to hold off on the braids. If it was a no-lye relaxer, she needs to use a chelating shampoo for a wash to get rid of any mineral buildup that no-lye can leave behind. This buildup and make it hard for moisture to be able to get inside of the hair thus causing breakage. Then she needs to get her moisture/protein balance back before she does anything, braids or a retouch. LadyE's recommendations were great.

tell her to hold off a bit longer than she usually would, take care of the breakage issue FIRST, and then retouch with a lye relaxer, making sure not to overlap on any previously relaxed hair. (i say lye, because lye-relaxed hair tends to hold onto moisture better. no-lye can cause calcium to build up the hair, and that will interfere with the hair's ability to absorb moisture. i switched from no-lye to lye, and i couldn't be happier.)

to help with this, have her add serum, or oil, all over her previously relaxed hair, up to the line of new growth. that way, she won't have to worry too much when applying relaxer.

as far as the breakage is concerned, has she tried a hardcore protein treatment? try that, then do about a week or so of deep conditioning treatments at each wash. that should help :)

Back